October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
18 Oct 2016 16:32 #236417 by R.P.Kraul

Columbob wrote: "Trying to establish"? Flying Frog have been around for years. That question "Another kickstarter?!?" answers everything about the new game but doesn't actually answer why they're going the KS route again, which I thought was what it would be. Aren't they an established company already? Last Night on Earth, Touch of Evil, etc.

Oh well, I guess cash up front is better than waiting for cash after making the game. Maybe that Indiana Jones game didn't sell nearly enough for them and they're now warier of making big games the traditional way.

I don't know what FFP's strategy is, but what I'm saying is that when you offer to backers just about every component available for a game, what effect does that have on retail sales? I can't imagine it's good. Why not pull back a little and leave some expansions for retail?

I think that's where they failed with SOB. They tried to do everything at once.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2016 17:36 #236423 by hotseatgames
Well, the Dungeon Degenerates have listened and added 6 new monsters, one of which appears to be a walking puppet show. I am pleased.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
19 Oct 2016 00:34 #236445 by SuperflyPete

JEM wrote: I think Brimstone was their first step into assembled miniatures gaming, and possibly their first game without dubious LARP photo artwork. I'm guessing there's a lot of capital outlay on tooling up for mini production of that type, and of course, KS campaigns for these types of games are pretty well established as a way of raising funds.

Conquest of Planet Earth was the first non-WTF LARP & Soundtrack game, FWIW
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
21 Oct 2016 20:16 #236657 by hotseatgames
Got my ship notice for Conan. It arrives this Tuesday... a year late but hopefully good.

More
24 Oct 2016 08:49 #236746 by charlest
It sounds like there's some translation errors with much of the extra stuff. Interesting seeing amateur mistakes on a product Asmodee is tied too now.

More
24 Oct 2016 13:15 #236796 by SuperflyPete
I am SO close to late-backing Evil Dead, if for no other reason than the painted minis and delivery in 2 months.

More
24 Oct 2016 13:31 #236798 by hotseatgames

charlest wrote: It sounds like there's some translation errors with much of the extra stuff. Interesting seeing amateur mistakes on a product Asmodee is tied too now.

I'll be taking a hard look tomorrow and will post about it, so you can see a sane take on it rather than the "sky is falling" nonsense on TOS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
26 Oct 2016 07:55 - 26 Oct 2016 08:50 #236944 by hotseatgames
Got all of my Conan stuff yesterday. Two large (mid-coffins?) boxes! I read the rulebooks last night (heroes and overlord each get one), and here are my initial thoughts, having not played even a solo game yet:

1. Production is fantastic. The sculpts all look good, everything is nicely packaged, tokens are a nice thickness. The boards are huge and detailed.
2. The rulebook.... it comes across as having been written by someone who has never written a rulebook before, and maybe not read any either. There is at least one place where one paragraph contradicts the paragraph before it. Can you figure out the intent? Yes, I think so.
3. The rules themselves seem awesome. The system is complex enough to allow for some light RPG-style options, while simple enough to still be a fast-paced board game.
4. I think I have 25 to 30 DIFFERENT hero characters, and the funny part is that 5 of them are different versions of Conan himself. I'm picturing a hilarious game night in which the entire party controls different Conans, all speaking in bad Arnold accents.

It will be a few days before I can get a proper game in, but tonight I'll be running a solo round.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2016 08:50 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Frohike, charlest, Vlad

More
26 Oct 2016 09:51 #236964 by Gary Sax

hotseatgames wrote: 4. I think I have 25 to 30 DIFFERENT hero characters, and the funny part is that 5 of them are different versions of Conan himself. I'm picturing a hilarious game night in which the entire party controls different Conans, all speaking in bad Arnold accents.

Not super interested in the game, but this sounds like the shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
27 Oct 2016 11:21 #237041 by Mr. White
This game is not for me, but I do like how each character and all of their components are stored in their own VHS style case.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/laz...tabletop-racing-game

More
27 Oct 2016 11:55 #237045 by JEM
I saw that a while ago. It looked like someone started goofing around with the X-Wing templates and got some ideas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
29 Oct 2016 20:35 - 29 Oct 2016 20:37 #237180 by wadenels
Impact! Miniatures' Roller Derby Game .

Because it looks like a fast-paced racing game with roller derby carnage, and besides really digging Elfball* I've had good experiences dealing with Impact!.

* 'Tis truly a terrible name, but the game is really solid.

EDIT: BGG turn-by-turn
Last edit: 29 Oct 2016 20:37 by wadenels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Frohike

More
01 Nov 2016 07:30 #237274 by JEM
Well, the Forbidden Fortress is up and...doesn't look all that great at the higher "Shogun" tier. It's an agonizing decision whether to jump on the Early Bird to save $5 off of $300 for what, so far, amounts to $85 of stuff over the base "Sumo" pledge, plus the usual KS exclusive alt-figures. The shipping information says that they intend to ship each pledge at one time- to me that reads as you don't get the game until 2018 if you go for the bigger pledge. Addons are reasonably priced, but can be got at the usual retailers in time, no doubt.

The base pledge does look decent, and I'm backing it, but if you don't care about alt-gender miniatures or one KS exclusive character class it might be better to get the game at retail when it inevitably drops to $75 or so. Still, what do I know, because the huge majority of backers are throwing $300 at the full thing.

More
01 Nov 2016 08:50 #237277 by charlest
People are likely backing that huge early bird level because of the discount, as they assume Stretch goals will add quite a bit to it. If stretch goals don't, then they can cancel their pledge at the last minute. That's the magic of the early bird, cause people to jump in which causes more funding which causes more stretch goals which makes those people attain the value they're seeking.

More
01 Nov 2016 08:56 - 01 Nov 2016 09:03 #237278 by Wetworks
I'm at the Sumo level too and I think it'll be more than worth it at the end. If this rate keeps up SoB could end around $2 million.

$65 core set
$10 - 4 Alt Sculpts
$10 - Exclusive Sumo Hero
$10 - 15 card Mine Encounter Pack
$10 - 15 card Belly of the Beast Encounter Pack
$20 - XL Spider
$30 - XXL Dragon (Assuming equivalent to Beli'al)

So that's roughly $155 in value for about a $115 pledge (assuming $20 shipping). I based these prices on Miniature Market and what I feel I would actually pay to own them.

Thankfully this kickstarter won't end till after Kingdom Death starts so I can compare the two campaigns before my final decision.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 09:03 by Wetworks.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds