October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
08 Nov 2017 14:40 #257273 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Currently on the fence about the Folklore 2nd printing:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklor...liction-2nd-printing

I nearly went in the first time, but fear of KS crap pulled me back, but 2nd printings is where I am more comfortable with KS once we have seen reviews of the game from more independent sources, and someone here has been raving about it. I guess the only thing holding me back is the amount of unplayed stuff I already own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2017 16:22 #257276 by ubarose
Oh, well those bowls are hugely disappointing. I was expecting something like Go bowls, which are really quite lovely. If I played Go, I would definitely have Go bowls. Growing up, we had a set with bowls on the high shelves in the living room, but we weren't allowed to play with them, because, you know, little kids and bowls filled with a bazillion little stones.

I have about a dozen glass desert bowls that we use for gameboard bits. They are all I have left from when a bunch of us starving grad students pitched in together to buy random cases of glasses and dishwear from a restaurant supply outlet clearance sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Nov 2017 16:22 #257277 by charlest

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: Currently on the fence about the Folklore 2nd printing:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklor...liction-2nd-printing

I nearly went in the first time, but fear of KS crap pulled me back, but 2nd printings is where I am more comfortable with KS once we have seen reviews of the game from more independent sources, and someone here has been raving about it. I guess the only thing holding me back is the amount of unplayed stuff I already own.

Unfortunately it really wants you to play it as a campaign game which requires dedication, if you already have a ton of stuff unplayed it's probably not a good fit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu

More
08 Nov 2017 21:20 - 08 Nov 2017 21:20 #257314 by Da Bid Dabid
I tried really hard to resist but I didn't quite make it to the end before my will crumbled. I don't plan to play the game at all but since 15 mm is my thing the minis alone make it well worth the pledge. I'll prolly go in for at least 2 of the expansions, maybe 4...

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/...legends-joan-of-arc/
Last edit: 08 Nov 2017 21:20 by Da Bid Dabid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
09 Nov 2017 17:28 #257369 by Almalik
I broke down and backed Time of Legends as well, although I wish it was 10mm. We'll see how much I save up for the pledge manager for those expansions (definitely the Apocalypse one).

More
20 Nov 2017 09:21 #257908 by Chaz
What do we think about Evil High Priest? On the one hand, kickstarter is generally boo on principle for me. On the other hand, it's Sandy Peterson, the base game is $50+shipping, and the version with the stretch goals is $80+shipping, which isn't terrible. There are add ons, but it mostly looks like plastic minis to replace the wooden meeples, and I'm okay with wooden meeples.

More
20 Nov 2017 09:45 #257910 by stoic
What sets Evil High Priest apart from Lords of Waterdeep and/or Argent?

More
24 Nov 2017 10:57 #258167 by Pat II
The Great War French Army expansion with the core game etc... I liked Memoir well enough and was the only CC game I played. Never owned it and WW1 is under represented in my tactical collection. It's lite so I'm diving in for those reasons.

More
27 Nov 2017 20:13 #258301 by hotseatgames
Got my copy of Gametek today, the book by Geoff Engelstein. Geoff, it looks great! I can't wait to read it.

More
29 Nov 2017 09:16 - 29 Nov 2017 09:16 #258332 by drewcula
To Chaz and co. re: Evil High Priest.

I feel ya, but I'm not backing this for a different reason. I cannot stand the design of those dashboards. In fact, I don't like any of the graphics or illustrations for EHP.

I think Petersen Games took a big step backward when they stopped working with Richard Luong.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2017 09:16 by drewcula.

More
03 Dec 2017 22:32 #258593 by Cranberries
Book of Dragons is a set of 40 cards with dragon pictures that have been described as "amazing," which, in the world of boardgamers, means they would look great on the side of a van in the 1970s. There are 18 sets of rules, even a game by Martin Wallace and one by the rummy king Mike Fitzgerald. I've seen this episode before: Game designers do not donate their most amazing work to these projects. On the other hand, it's only $12 shipped, so I'll probably buy it and stick it next to my Hanafuda decks and Mu and Lots More .

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
04 Dec 2017 08:25 #258599 by Sagrilarus
Is it starting to happen? I'm starting to smell to conversion of Kickstarter from a "OMG-Boardgame!" sort of vibe to an orderly announcement and execution of print runs for existing successful games, or new games from well-considered companies and designers. There's still newbies in the mix, but every "successful" designer has to have a first product after all. It's turning into a high-gloss high-visibility P500 system.

This is how these things go, products (i.e., Kickstarter) evolve to the existing market space and find their niche in the business.

I stumbled across a thread for a Nemo's War reprint Kickstarter and owners of the existing product were looking for the ability to purchase prior add-ons by without the base game. No anger or excitement, just a matter-of-fact discussion about a parts purchase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Frohike

More
04 Dec 2017 15:49 #258607 by Gary Sax
I'm definitely starting to sense that too, Sag.

More
05 Dec 2017 12:17 #258642 by ChristopherMD
Backed Nemo's War expansion. Didn't even look what was in it. $8 with shipping.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/567823005/n...rint?ref=hero_thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Gregarius

More
06 Dec 2017 03:16 #258660 by Frohike

Sagrilarus wrote: Is it starting to happen? I'm starting to smell to conversion of Kickstarter from a "OMG-Boardgame!" sort of vibe to an orderly announcement and execution of print runs for existing successful games, or new games from well-considered companies and designers. There's still newbies in the mix, but every "successful" designer has to have a first product after all. It's turning into a high-gloss high-visibility P500 system.

This is how these things go, products (i.e., Kickstarter) evolve to the existing market space and find their niche in the business.

I stumbled across a thread for a Nemo's War reprint Kickstarter and owners of the existing product were looking for the ability to purchase prior add-ons by without the base game. No anger or excitement, just a matter-of-fact discussion about a parts purchase.

That's a VPG kickstarter. Try anything CMON... same old story.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.831 seconds