October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
05 Feb 2018 17:53 #262910 by Colorcrayons
Isn't Firbeball Island supposed to hit KS soon?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2018 18:30 #263825 by SebastianBludd
Well, it turns out that Nightdive Studios has put the System Shock remake on hiatus . The plan was to make a faithful recreation of System Shock; instead they got caught up in feature creep and expanding the game - neither of which the backers really wanted - in hopes of luring securing additional investor funds, which failed. Now they're mostly out of money and hope to have the game done in 18 to 24 months. I'm not so optimistic; it looks probable that I'm going to end up with my first KS cautionary tale to share.

More
17 Feb 2018 21:43 #263826 by Colorcrayons
Shame. According to that statement, it seems like they used the backers as investors that they have no responsibility towards.

I could be wrong, but don't business investors have contracts that obligate a company to them for compensation?

If true, then Kickstarter is nothing but a den of potential thieves who have no obligation to fulfill since Kickstarter washes it's hands of involvement.

Spurious.

More
18 Feb 2018 02:02 #263832 by hotseatgames
That sucks. And it re-affirms my stance of never backing video game projects. Their failure rate is just too high.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Feb 2018 19:28 #263863 by drewcula
Hotseatgames already made a passing remark, but I wanted to ask again;

Is anyone backing 'Planet Apocalypse?'

I love Cthulhu Wars. But I don't know about this one. It seems like a faster, and more accessible Kingdom Death. But I'm just not sold yet...

Meanwhile, I'm gonna be throwing money at Monolith next week for a copy of Batman.

More
23 Feb 2018 08:16 #263877 by stormseeker75
I'm terrified at what Batman is going to cost for the all-in option.

More
23 Feb 2018 08:19 #263878 by hotseatgames

Colorcrayons wrote: Isn't Firbeball Island supposed to hit KS soon?

An unspecified date in April. Looks like a must-buy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
23 Feb 2018 08:40 #263879 by hotseatgames

stormseeker75 wrote: I'm terrified at what Batman is going to cost for the all-in option.

Indeed. I know they won't do it, but the only option I'd even be up for is a minis-only pledge. This would be a great way to score a bunch of Batman minis relatively cheaply.

I just don't have much faith in this. I am thinking it will suffer from one of the fundamental problems that plagued Conan. Namely, you have someone who gets to play as Batman, and everyone else is Not-Batman. Conan also featured very sketchy scenario design. The game was so half-baked that I sold my pledge after only playing 3 times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
23 Feb 2018 09:00 #263880 by charlest
I think they said the all-in is somewhere around $350. Which is lower than I thought it'd be.

More
23 Feb 2018 09:06 #263882 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: I think they said the all-in is somewhere around $350. Which is lower than I thought it'd be.

One car payment. Not bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SebastianBludd

More
23 Feb 2018 09:30 #263884 by hotseatgames
The official arbitrary unit of measurement is a cup of coffee. So... 70 cups of coffee. Not bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Feb 2018 12:17 #263905 by drewcula
I'm pretty jazzed for Batman, and have high hopes for modest improvement over Conan.
Why 'modest?'
Cause I think Conan is the bee's knees.
Rulebook's first edition was a little clunky, but Monolith course corrected.
Some scenarios are more forgiving than others.
Number of available scenarios (now) is pretty impressive.

I still have lingering Kickstarter frustrations with Conan. Availability of "non-exclusive" minis, King Pledge content vs. retail, etc.
But really, the only thing that bugs me are the hero dashboards. They're simply not as cool as the Overlord's dashboard. I want them to be plastic too.

Conan is fun to play as a character, sure. But I really dig playing his associates. The Overlord is the best IMO.

Batman OTOH, has the single best Rogue Gallery in all of comics. Batman's allies ain't too shabby either. I'm down to clown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike

More
26 Feb 2018 10:10 #264022 by Cranberries
Academy Games (Conflict of Heroes) has something called Agents of Mayhem that looks interesting.

Based on the Volition Deep Silver video game, Agents of Mayhem: Pride of Babylon is a competitive 32mm scale miniatures game that pits the evil LEGION (the League of Evil Gentlemen Intent on Obliterating Nations) against the more heroic, but potentially just as chaotic and destructive MAYHEM (Multinational Agency for Hunting Evil Masterminds).

The game is played out on a map featuring multistory, modular buildings that can be destroyed and altered as the battle rages on. Miniatures combat itself is asymmetric, as the LEGION player runs an entire army of diverse and fearsome robots, dark matter powers, giant golems, and doomsday devices, while the MAYHEM player gets to build a team of three elite specialized agents, and give them unique upgrades to build on their individual strengths and shared synergies.

The game features a procedural campaign, which has the MAYHEM player keeping their agents' progress and upgrades through a series of missions, while the LEGION player deploys more fearsome and dangerous squads of troopers. Choices made, victories and defeats, and buildings and blocks damaged and destroyed in combat will affect later missions and ensure that every campaign plays out differently.

More
26 Feb 2018 10:29 #264029 by hotseatgames
I saw that one. It's a shame that what seems like a novel concept got tied to a property that by all accounts was a huge flop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Frohike

More
27 Feb 2018 16:41 #264096 by hotseatgames

Colorcrayons wrote: Isn't Firbeball Island supposed to hit KS soon?

April 3rd is the date.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds