October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
28 Nov 2011 21:47 - 28 Nov 2011 21:52 #108715 by mikecl
You know, I didn't look at the more expensive options and so failed to notice that. I went with the mid level thing...can't remember what it was. That's too bad, because it looks like a fantastic and fun little game.

I hate it when bad marketing screws a decent product.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2011 21:52 by mikecl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2011 21:51 #108717 by Ken B.

Notahandle wrote: In short, the Line for Life policy gets them sales earlier, at the expense of later ones.

/rant

That does suck, but in terms of Finance, money now is *always* better than money later. Assuming you invest, you can even take less money now and it still be better than more later.

It's a rough spot; you want people to get on board and support you, so you have to entice them--yet down the road, you have things that people want but if you give it to them, you piss off your original backers, but if you don't, you piss off your potential customers.

More
28 Nov 2011 23:21 - 28 Nov 2011 23:23 #108734 by Notahandle
Ken B. wrote:
" That does suck, but in terms of Finance, money now is *always* better than money later. Assuming you invest, you can even take less money now and it still be better than more later."
But I'm talking within the duration of the Kickstarter campaign, so it's not money now or later because all the money is collected when the campaign ends successfully funded. It's merely *pledge* now or pledge later.

" t's a rough spot; you want people to get on board and support you, so you have to entice them--"
For my money, you don't 'entice' with a threatened price increase further down the line (i.e. when the first 50 Line for Life pledges have gone). Gaming has promos; let's leave aside the 'what makes a good promo' argument. Kickstarter has the same with the exclusive items. That's a positive enticement right at the start. Additionally there's the stretch goals, great for keeping the campaign on the boil. Everyone gets these; if one only applies at a certain level, you have the option of increasing your pledge. There's no penalty for joining early or late, so you can also wait and see and join at the end. D-Day Dice did that, and would have been better without the Line for Life pledges.

" yet down the road, you have things that people want but if you give it to them, you piss off your original backers, but if you don't, you piss off your potential customers."
But that's a self-created problem. If you promise something will only be available here and now and never again, then you've made a rod for your own back. Better to say you get this sooner than everyone else, or it's a limited edition card with a gold border and future versions will have a plain border. It is possible to make an enticement without alienating any potential customers.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2011 23:23 by Notahandle.

More
06 Dec 2011 19:19 - 08 Dec 2011 00:01 #109444 by Notahandle
I'd still been thinking about D-Day Dice and noticed last night that there was only one of the $140 Line for Life pledges left, so I grabbed it on impulse. A few hours later I noticed there was a $125 Line for Life available (presumably someone cancelled) so I changed my pledge for that instead, it saves $15 after all. Still not happy about the different prices tactic, but less so since I have the average price. Frankly, I think releasing three tranches at $125 would have been a better policy as it treats everyone equally. As for my freed $140 pledge, that was snapped up in about five minutes. Incidentally it only has about two days to run.

Anyone looked at Ghost Pirates?

EDIT- Ghost Pirates. Play cards to add crew to attack the other ship. Unfortunately the cards have to be played to your ship to form a location to put the new crew on. So your ship grows longer and longer, looking nothing like a real ship. I find this so bizarre and jarringly unthematic that I won't be backing.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2011 00:01 by Notahandle.

More
08 Dec 2011 13:06 - 08 Dec 2011 13:06 #109571 by madwookiee
John Clowdus has started a kickstarter project for Omen Second Edition. It includes a level for folks who already have the original version, so that they can get in on the goodies.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2011 13:06 by madwookiee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
10 Dec 2011 15:38 #109699 by Notahandle
Backed for the new cards.

I noticed out of the eleven reviews cited at the end four are from F:ATties (five if you count Tom Vasel).

More
10 Dec 2011 21:15 #109716 by smallboxgames
Thanks for supporting, guys!

We're going to be adding even more goodies to the Kickstarter package in the next few days.

More
15 Jan 2012 19:43 #112952 by Notahandle
Omen has just passed $23,000 with five days to go.

They've added card sleeves and thankfully they're not from Mayday:-
"We’re having a short run of custom Omen: A Reign of War sleeves manufactured by Legion Game Supplies. The sleeves will feature art from Omen: A Reign of War on the back side. The sleeves come in packs of 50.
Each pack of 50 sleeves is $3.00 (that’s our cost per pack to have them manufactured)."

In addition to getting the sleeves I upped my pledge from Grizzled Veteran (just the new stuff) to Grand Commander (the new stuff plus a whole new set).

How come no one has expressed much interest, it came third in the Readers Awards after all? Or has everyone already bought the original and don't want the new stuff? (Actually that makes no sense! Why wouldn't you want more?)

More
15 Jan 2012 20:02 #112954 by madwookiee
Completely agree - this game awesome. I'm glad it's going to hit its funding level, but I am surprised that there hasn't been more interest here.

More
15 Jan 2012 21:55 #112968 by cdennett
The KickStarter haters may have something to with the subdued response, though this should be the type of game they should support on KickStarter (being already proven).

I'm admittedly sitting on the fence about Omen, having never seen/played the original and not really being big on card games in general. I could be nudged over the fence either way depending on what I hear.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds