October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
15 Apr 2014 10:25 #175881 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: As Sag said, you don't have to give a shit. I just dislike the comeback that "they're all the same."

In this case it's a six-to-one price difference, so it's a tougher sell. To some extent I see blue jeans as having "cheap" as a fundamental requirement, so $50 is tough to justify, $75 impossible for me personally and $200 as an indication that you may have an addiction issue. Granted you live in Texas where jeans are a fashion statement.

One of the things I try to impress on my kids is that you should spend the money on the things that really matter to you, don't spend it on things that don't. If jeans are your thing then spend the money. I'm surrounded by star belly sneetches that spend ridiculous amounts on everything in their lives, $600 cell phones, $200 jeans, $80,000 cars, $900,000 houses, and $15,000 vacations. Money just pours out of them and I have no clue where it comes from. It has to be inherited, because half of them are Fed workers.

S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2014 10:27 #175882 by SuperflyPete
I'm so turned off by the art that I just don't want it, to be honest. I understand why people do, though.

There's a FLGS here with 13 copies of the original printing for 35$. Soloth is another 25$. So, for roughly the same money I can get roughly the same stuff, and I had it delivered last week, versus November.

I'm fine with my decision. :)

More
15 Apr 2014 12:48 #175897 by Space Ghost

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'm so turned off by the art that I just don't want it, to be honest. I understand why people do, though.

This is where I am at on this. The extra content is cool, but the art guarantees it won't get played, probably.

More
15 Apr 2014 12:55 #175898 by Space Ghost

Sagrilarus wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: As Sag said, you don't have to give a shit. I just dislike the comeback that "they're all the same."

In this case it's a six-to-one price difference, so it's a tougher sell. To some extent I see blue jeans as having "cheap" as a fundamental requirement, so $50 is tough to justify, $75 impossible for me personally and $200 as an indication that you may have an addiction issue. Granted you live in Texas where jeans are a fashion statement.

One of the things I try to impress on my kids is that you should spend the money on the things that really matter to you, don't spend it on things that don't. If jeans are your thing then spend the money. I'm surrounded by star belly sneetches that spend ridiculous amounts on everything in their lives, $600 cell phones, $200 jeans, $80,000 cars, $900,000 houses, and $15,000 vacations. Money just pours out of them and I have no clue where it comes from. It has to be inherited, because half of them are Fed workers.

S.

Nice star belly sneetches reference.

My jeans are usually around $50/each. I tend to not splurge too much on clothes -- being a faculty member means the dress code is one notch above "homeless-chic".

However, I did invest in some quality dress shoes and suits now that I am doing more expert witness testimony. There are times when you want to project a particular image.

And, as repoman says, some times it pays to buy quality. My recent example was a bought a 10" table saw for home so I could build some bookshelfs, window bench, etc. for the new baby's room. There is a ton of difference between a DeWalt table saw ($400) and Craftsman ($199) or Skill ($249). The latter just had too much play in the fence and blade. I also will invest a lot in computers that can handle a lot of processing and computation at once -- that is a work product for me. I'm not about to pay $600 for a phone -- I'm always a model behind, I got my iphone for $2.99 when they were trying to dump old units. We probably will spring for a nicer car now that we will have two little ones -- something more modern (our cars are 2001 and 2002) with a few more amenities to make the wife's life easier.

More
15 Apr 2014 14:22 #175911 by MattFantastic
I think the argument on those jeans is pointless cause while they might wear a little longer, they do look so fucking dumpy and shapeless. Lots of dudes rock that look so whatev, but damn, those "boyfriend" jeans aren't doing anyone any favors.

They should make some princess jeans!

Riding around 100+ miles a week, and general hard living moves, I wear through jeans pretty quick no matter what. I've tried expensive ones and they last a bit longer, but not longer enough to justify the higher cost. Cute and cheap is what I always go for. Works for most of life too!

More
15 Apr 2014 15:51 #175921 by Chaz
I wouldn't be totally against a pair of $100 jeans that are high quality and would last a long time. I just have a really hard time spending that much on a pair of jeans without being able to try them on. I hit the gym regularly, so my thighs tend to be bigger than a lot of pants-makers assume they are relative to my waist size, so finding fitting jeans is tricky. If I could try them on first, I'd be more interested.

More
15 Apr 2014 16:13 - 15 Apr 2014 16:16 #175924 by Wetworks

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'm so turned off by the art that I just don't want it, to be honest. I understand why people do, though.

There's a FLGS here with 13 copies of the original printing for 35$. Soloth is another 25$. So, for roughly the same money I can get roughly the same stuff, and I had it delivered last week, versus November.

I'm fine with my decision. :)

Keep in mind that the new print has 40% bigger boards which fixes one of the major complaints of the original game. Which was that the board was too small and limited the type of shots you could make.

Also the background art for the old boards were some of the worst art I've ever seen used in a retail board game. The example board art for the new boards they showed looked fantastic.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2014 16:16 by Wetworks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Apr 2014 16:24 #175927 by Space Ghost
The board art looks good -- I just don't like the character art. I'm tempted. But not enough, I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Apr 2014 20:51 #175944 by Mr. White
(fever of 103 so rage post follows)

Kickstarter Clothes: Jake Bronstein is a grade-A, internet douche. I wouldn't put a dollar in his pocket. Not only that, but y'all are right, his clothes are ill fitting. I've tried on his '10 year hoodie' and the hoodie (especially the hood) is so big it's practically a hobbit cloak. On top of that, the draw strings look very cheap. I've had an American Apparel hoodie for about 8 years (also made in the USA and cost about $50) that still fits way better than F&T's. However, if you _must_ spend a C-note on hoodies at least go with American Giant ...they fit. USA! USA! (You can see USA hoodies are a dime a dozen)

Kickstarter Games: Fief 1429. Throughout the KS there was a dude that was basically Academy's cheerleader. I engaged him several times about the game play, but he never responded. It was always "Look at all the stretch goals!", "this is a great deal!". Anyway it was kind of sickening, nothing about gameplay or personal experience. I see his name in the 1812 and 1775 rulebooks, so assume he has some connection to the company. Anyway, this dude's latest post is embarrassing:
boardgamegeek.com/image/1988643/fief-fra...78248#comment4578248

Makes me want to sell the game right away. He's worse than the Mighty Mighty Bosstone dancer.

/rants

More
15 Apr 2014 21:14 #175945 by Shellhead
I own a 12-year hoodie from Hanes. Nothing special about it. Cotton, large, black fading to a very dark gray. The cuffs are fraying badly, but otherwise it's perfectly wearable. I also have an ancient Darth Vader shirt from circa 1978. The sleeves have been hacked off, the shirt faded to kind of a heather black color, and the only thing darth about it now is the outline of the helmet, since the picture flaked off over the years. Also, the fabric has thinned to the point where the shirt is borderline see-through.

The big trick to making clothes last a long time is to avoid using a dryer. That lint in the dryer is your clothes, slowly disintegrating. My house has an old school clothesline set up in the backyard for the warm half of the year, and more clotheslines hanging from the ceiling in the basement for the cold or rainy days. Before I had the house, I had a stack of plastic chairs for my gaming area that I could also flop damp clothes onto while they were drying. The only drawback was that I had to avoid doing laundry during the 24 hours before hosting games at my place.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds