October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
15 Apr 2014 22:46 - 15 Apr 2014 22:57 #175947 by Stan Leer
I don't buy many clothes through the year but I appreciate the philosophy behind the projects that Flint and Tinder uses for their various runs. ideally I'd try the jeans first but having not bought a pair of jeans in ages this was something I can get behind. We try to buy less but buy better. Their's enough stuff in our lives and our house. Plenty of stuff I bought on the cheap doesn't get worn or used and in the end wasn't worthwhile for me.

I do have to ask though, for all the haters on price- how much have you spent on Kickstarter games? More than 100 bucks? For something you haven't played? That you get to play how many times once it reaches it goal?

I have bought a bunch of Flint and Tinder stuff and have been pleased with the quality, fit and wear. I have their 10 year hoodie (not much more expensive than American Giant and way better fitting than than my American apparel hoodie with zipper that broke in no time), two of their flannels, some of their socks. Their underwear are really comfortable too.

But I'm a hipster jackass so what do I know.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2014 22:57 by Stan Leer. Reason: I'm not a typist
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2014 22:49 - 15 Apr 2014 22:51 #175948 by Gary Sax

Jeff White wrote: (fever of 103 so rage post follows)

Kickstarter Clothes: Jake Bronstein is a grade-A, internet douche. I wouldn't put a dollar in his pocket. Not only that, but y'all are right, his clothes are ill fitting. I've tried on his '10 year hoodie' and the hoodie (especially the hood) is so big it's practically a hobbit cloak. On top of that, the draw strings look very cheap. I've had an American Apparel hoodie for about 8 years (also made in the USA and cost about $50) that still fits way better than F&T's. However, if you _must_ spend a C-note on hoodies at least go with American Giant ...they fit. USA! USA! (You can see USA hoodies are a dime a dozen)

Kickstarter Games: Fief 1429. Throughout the KS there was a dude that was basically Academy's cheerleader. I engaged him several times about the game play, but he never responded. It was always "Look at all the stretch goals!", "this is a great deal!". Anyway it was kind of sickening, nothing about gameplay or personal experience. I see his name in the 1812 and 1775 rulebooks, so assume he has some connection to the company. Anyway, this dude's latest post is embarrassing:
boardgamegeek.com/image/1988643/fief-fra...78248#comment4578248

Makes me want to sell the game right away. He's worse than the Mighty Mighty Bosstone dancer.

/rants

That Kevin Duke dude used to go through every thread about Command and Colors and pounce on negative comments. As I recall, he also gave me a copy of a limited edition scenario too, but then I wasn't saying anything bad about C+C...

I agree that the F+T guy is a douche, but I simply did not have any fit problem with the hoodie project or the jeans I bought from F+T, so I can't relate... only problem I had was getting some bleach on my nice gray hoodie and marking it. Now it's strictly around the house or Sunday bum clothes.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2014 22:51 by Gary Sax.

More
15 Apr 2014 23:11 #175950 by Stan Leer
Looked at Catacombs since following this thread. Dexterity games not my cup of tea. I think the art is great. Its simple and straight forward without overwrought fantasy art to muddy it up for a hackneyed dungeon crawl theme. Its something I could play with my daughter or with adults.

More
15 Apr 2014 23:12 #175951 by Space Ghost
When in God's name are you wearing a hoodie in Texas? Thinking about that makes me sweat.

More
15 Apr 2014 23:16 #175952 by Stan Leer
I remain on the cold frigid plains of the midwest. Gary Sax moved on to warmer climes

More
16 Apr 2014 09:00 #175964 by charlest

Kickstarter Clothes: Jake Bronstein is a grade-A, internet douche. I wouldn't put a dollar in his pocket. Not only that, but y'all are right, his clothes are ill fitting. I've tried on his '10 year hoodie' and the hoodie (especially the hood) is so big it's practically a hobbit cloak. On top of that, the draw strings look very cheap. I've had an American Apparel hoodie for about 8 years (also made in the USA and cost about $50) that still fits way better than F&T's. However, if you _must_ spend a C-note on hoodies at least go with American Giant ...they fit. USA! USA! (You can see USA hoodies are a dime a dozen)

Kickstarter Games: Fief 1429. Throughout the KS there was a dude that was basically Academy's cheerleader. I engaged him several times about the game play, but he never responded. It was always "Look at all the stretch goals!", "this is a great deal!". Anyway it was kind of sickening, nothing about gameplay or personal experience. I see his name in the 1812 and 1775 rulebooks, so assume he has some connection to the company. Anyway, this dude's latest post is embarrassing:

Makes me want to sell the game right away. He's worse than the Mighty Mighty Bosstone dancer.

/rants

Kevin Duke's a pretty good guy, although his promoting can get annoying. I believe he officially works for Academy Games now. I know him as he used to work for Sergeants Miniatures Games and did some of the same stuff in those forums. There's a lot of bitching in the SMG forums and he would defend the company. After he left SMG I had some private conversations with him and actually came to like him. I get where you're coming from though.

More
16 Apr 2014 10:37 #175976 by Gregarius

Shellhead wrote: The big trick to making clothes last a long time is to avoid using a dryer.

Bingo. I wish I had known this when I was younger, as I've damaged a lot of vintage (and not) Hawaiian shirts through my carelessness.

I will say, though, that my jeans in general haven't lasted as long as they did 10 years ago. Even with using a clothesline, they seem to thin and fray much sooner than I remember. Of course, it's also possible I'm wearing jeans a lot more often than I was 10 years ago.

More
16 Apr 2014 10:39 #175977 by Mr. White

charlest wrote:

/rants

Kevin Duke's a pretty good guy, although his promoting can get annoying. I believe he officially works for Academy Games now. I know him as he used to work for Sergeants Miniatures Games and did some of the same stuff in those forums. There's a lot of bitching in the SMG forums and he would defend the company. After he left SMG I had some private conversations with him and actually came to like him. I get where you're coming from though.

That's even worse, imo, because it's dishonest. He posts as if he's but a fan but in actuality he's a plant.

More
16 Apr 2014 11:36 #175978 by charlest

Jeff White wrote:

charlest wrote:

/rants

That's even worse, imo, because it's dishonest. He posts as if he's but a fan but in actuality he's a plant.

I don't think he's trying to masquerade as just a fan. If you openly ask him on the forums I'm sure he'd confirm. I don't think there's any sinister intentions there.

More
17 Apr 2014 17:28 #176047 by quozl
I was involved in the development and testing for this but it's my friend's design (along with a co-designer). It's Crokinole crossed with a simple wargame. Tons of fun!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/printplaygames/flick-wars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds