October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
17 Apr 2014 17:34 #176049 by SuperflyPete

Jeff White wrote:

charlest wrote:

Jeff White wrote: (fever of 103 so rage post follows)

Kickstarter Clothes: Jake Bronstein is a grade-A, internet douche. I wouldn't put a dollar in his pocket. Not only that, but y'all are right, his clothes are ill fitting. I've tried on his '10 year hoodie' and the hoodie (especially the hood) is so big it's practically a hobbit cloak. On top of that, the draw strings look very cheap. I've had an American Apparel hoodie for about 8 years (also made in the USA and cost about $50) that still fits way better than F&T's. However, if you _must_ spend a C-note on hoodies at least go with American Giant ...they fit. USA! USA! (You can see USA hoodies are a dime a dozen)

Kickstarter Games: Fief 1429. Throughout the KS there was a dude that was basically Academy's cheerleader. I engaged him several times about the game play, but he never responded. It was always "Look at all the stretch goals!", "this is a great deal!". Anyway it was kind of sickening, nothing about gameplay or personal experience. I see his name in the 1812 and 1775 rulebooks, so assume he has some connection to the company. Anyway, this dude's latest post is embarrassing:
boardgamegeek.com/image/1988643/fief-fra...78248#comment4578248

Makes me want to sell the game right away. He's worse than the Mighty Mighty Bosstone dancer.

/rants

Kevin Duke's a pretty good guy, although his promoting can get annoying. I believe he officially works for Academy Games now. I know him as he used to work for Sergeants Miniatures Games and did some of the same stuff in those forums. There's a lot of bitching in the SMG forums and he would defend the company. After he left SMG I had some private conversations with him and actually came to like him. I get where you're coming from though.

That's even worse, imo, because it's dishonest. He posts as if he's but a fan but in actuality he's a plant.

www.infoworld.com/t/identity-management/...iness-booming-181610

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2014 17:36 #176051 by Gary Sax

Space Ghost wrote: When in God's name are you wearing a hoodie in Texas? Thinking about that makes me sweat.

Lubbock is in west Texas, so it actually gets reasonably cold in winter...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubbock,_Texas

Average low in the 20s, high in the 50s in winter.

More
17 Apr 2014 19:30 #176056 by Sagrilarus
All that remains is for me to figure out what level I want to be in on this one. This is something where I feel the word "support" may actually apply, since I think it's a done deal either way and the additional capital will go to increasing the quality of the product.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1209858427/...-valor-and-slaughter

Mr. Chick is looking into the eBook details, which likely will make a difference for how deep I dig.

S.

More
18 Apr 2014 09:36 #176068 by charlest
My will broke and I backed MERCS: Recon due to the fantastic deal it has become (in terms of unlocked stretch goals). Pretty sure this will be an easy 100% profit via resale on around a year long investment. Now, just to convince myself a year from now to sell all the damn stuff...

More
18 Apr 2014 09:46 #176070 by SuperflyPete
You know, the one thing that fucks me off about MegaCon Games is that instead of having a bazillion stretch goals with incrementally more shit, how about there's a last 500K stretch goal as it was, and then at 750K there's a "Prepainted Miniatures" stretch goal.

Xia did it, so why not others? Do all of these game companies not understand that prepainted miniatures will get them more money? Just look at Dwarven Forge...WAY more people bought the prepainted than the greys.

/end rant.

More
18 Apr 2014 10:49 #176081 by charlest
I think the issue is that pre-painted miniatures is a huge pain in the ass logistics-wise. I may be mistaken but Xia didn't have nearly as many miniatures, plus they're much simpler sculpts. Dwarven Forge as well, much easier to paint a dungeon tile than a detailed miniature.

With pre-painted you probably have to go to China to keep the costs down. That means harder to maintain quality as you can't personally supervise.

You also have to consider MegaCon has a substantial audience via their MERCS miniatures game. Most miniatures gamers actually don't want to receive pre-painted minis. They enjoy the modeling and think they can do a better job. I think some of this perception probably has crept into their boardgame releases (even though the majority of backers probably would want pre-painted minis).

More
19 Apr 2014 09:32 #176129 by Jatoha
Hey all, longtime lurker here.

My cousin is starting a company to make boardgaming accessible for blind and vision impaired people. He will produce accessibility kits for games, he has the support and cooperation of a lot of board game companies to do this.

His Kickstarter has five days to go. He reached his goal of being able to make braille card sleeves but he'd like to be able to make braille dice and board overlays.

Here's the link to the Kickstarter, check it out!
www.kickstarter.com/projects/64ouncegame...now-blind-accessible

And let people know that if they have friends who are blind or have vision issues that this company is getting underway to let them in on the fun of gaming, too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

More
23 Apr 2014 11:00 #176348 by Legomancer
If you like comics and/or Ameritrash, check out the Sexcastle comic from a pal of mine, Kyle Starks:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/505163091/s...to-80s-action-movies

Have you ever thought, "Man, I wish there were more things like the movie Road House?"

Come on. Be honest.

I did.

So I made a 200 page comic homage to the 80s Action Movie genre that has influenced me so as a creator. I wanted something fun, but violent, chock-full of awesome fights, over the top action and tough guy dialogue. I wanted to make something simultaneously bad-ass and hilarious. So I made Sexcastle.

Sexcastle is the story of Shane Sexcastle, former Worlds Greatest Hitman turned former Secret Service agent turned former convict. Shane is recently out of jail seeking redemption for a life fueled by death and murder but sadly that journey has led him to a midwestern town under the rule of a petty despot. While he seeks a life of peace his old life relentlessly pulls him back in.

And it's awesome.

It's got it all: Fights, nunchucks, grenade launchers, romance, adult language, exotic animals, martial arts battles, gunfights, tough guy banter, explosions, monster trucks, 80s style gore, eye patches, emotional subtexts, an army of assassins, a small town war. It's. Got. It. All.

Kyle is a great, funny guy, and his last book, The Legend of Ricky Thunder, was great. This is going to be a fun book, and I think it would appeal to a lot of the folks here.

More
23 Apr 2014 15:15 #176390 by hotseatgames

quozl wrote: I was involved in the development and testing for this but it's my friend's design (along with a co-designer). It's Crokinole crossed with a simple wargame. Tons of fun!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/printplaygames/flick-wars

I'm definitely considering this one; it looks like a lot of fun. Can you give some info on the 4 factions? The kickstarter page and rules are woefully devoid of info.

More
25 Apr 2014 18:02 #176637 by hotseatgames
I went in for Flick Wars . I studied up on it enough that I think it will be a hit with the kids and with my group.

I also got Cthulhu's Vault , for a few reasons:
1. It's only $20
2. The art is fantastic
3. I don't own any story-telling games and this one might be cool.
4. Richard Launius made it. I really only needed this reason.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds