October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
02 Aug 2014 01:19 #183739 by VonTush
Eight Minute Empires: Lost Lands went live a few days ago and I backed. It also looks like the core set of Legends is about to hit the retail chain again, this really is a fantastic little game. Nothing ground-breaking I would say but does what it does very well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2014 09:44 #183754 by Gregarius

VonTush wrote: Eight Minute Empires: Lost Lands went live a few days ago and I backed. It also looks like the core set of Legends is about to hit the retail chain again, this really is a fantastic little game. Nothing ground-breaking I would say but does what it does very well.

I have (and enjoy) Eight Minute Empires: Legends. Do you know how it is different from the base game? And what interests you about the new one?

More
02 Aug 2014 10:18 #183760 by VonTush
This expansion is actually for Legends. It looks like it adds "Lost Tribes" cards which I assume to be a special power type thing to make each race feel a little different (I hope at least). New leaders, player boards, 5th player components...So it sounds like a really good expansion that further rounds out 8ME:L adding more flavor without going overboard.

I haven't played the original - But hope to fix that soon. The original has fixed maps and larger land masses and also has some resource set collection and I believe allows up to 5 players out of the box. I know a lot of people say that Legends has outdated and made obsolete the original, and perhaps it has. But I like the system a lot and the larger land masses I think will mean a bit more interaction where in Legends it seems like most games I've played people venture off onto other islands and stay segregated for the most part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
04 Aug 2014 07:09 #183858 by Rafael Silva
I backed Horrors of War: A Covenant With Death a collection of scenarios for Call of Cthulhu, set during WWI, by Pagan Publishing.

Pagan's track record is awesome and I'm still after so many of their books that I couldn't let this one pass me by. I pledged 60$ (print softcover + international shipping).

P.s.: If anyone is willing to part with their copies of DG: Countdown, Walker in the Wastes, Coming Full Circle, Realm of Shadows, The Golden Dawn or Grace Under Pressure for a reasonable price please send me a pm.

More
18 Aug 2014 06:01 #185217 by Matt Thrower
The world needs more one night role playing games. And after reading this testimonial:

"Our quest was to make an omelette. Sixteen goblins died."

I had to back this one.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/go...titude?ref=discovery

More
18 Aug 2014 06:24 #185218 by Dogmatix
Looks like Mantic is remaking Heroquest. At least, that's sure what it looks like to me:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/...he-dwarf-kings-quest

Mantic's previous kickstarters have all been pretty solid affairs and I expect no less from this. How's the game? It appears the rules are available for download from Mantic's site.

Edit: you'll need to register to "purchase" the rules for $0.00. You go through a full check-out and the rules and files for the cards will appear in your "library" attached to your Mantic store account.

More
18 Aug 2014 12:55 #185255 by jeb

Dogmatix wrote: Edit: you'll need to register to "purchase" the rules for $0.00. You go through a full check-out and the rules and files for the cards will appear in your "library" attached to your Mantic store account.

What if, instead of me giving mt personal information over, someone else did and posted the rules somewhere and let me know about it.

WINK. NUDGE. HINT. DO THIS.

More
18 Aug 2014 14:12 - 18 Aug 2014 14:19 #185268 by Dogmatix

jeb wrote:

Dogmatix wrote: Edit: you'll need to register to "purchase" the rules for $0.00. You go through a full check-out and the rules and files for the cards will appear in your "library" attached to your Mantic store account.

What if, instead of me giving mt personal information over, someone else did and posted the rules somewhere and let me know about it.

WINK. NUDGE. HINT. DO THIS.

Yea, yea. I'm everybody's digital bitch. Files will be up until Wednesday 20AUG noon, at which point I will need to recover the space.

Edit: Note that the rules are currently noted as "alpha rules", so I expect things may change substantially along the way....
Last edit: 18 Aug 2014 14:19 by Dogmatix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Almalik

More
19 Aug 2014 09:54 #185342 by Legomancer

MattDP wrote: The world needs more one night role playing games. And after reading this testimonial:

"Our quest was to make an omelette. Sixteen goblins died."

I had to back this one.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/go...titude?ref=discovery

I have no interest in RPGs but a pal of mine, Jon Morris, is doing the art, so I'll probably pony up some here.

More
19 Aug 2014 18:22 - 19 Aug 2014 18:23 #185412 by duckgoatwombat

Dogmatix wrote: Looks like Mantic is remaking Heroquest. At least, that's sure what it looks like to me:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/...he-dwarf-kings-quest

Mantic's previous kickstarters have all been pretty solid affairs and I expect no less from this. How's the game? It appears the rules are available for download from Mantic's site.

Thanks for the link. I've been waiting for a decent HQ clone. But Holy fuck! Where are the rest of them? I'm left with the distinct impression that they're only interested in using the game to sell miniatures. To think that combat makes a game and everything else is just trappings..

I have backed Redacted .
It's a game of hidden teams, attempting to work with their partner(s) to locate a particular item and escape from the embassy or alternatively blow up the other teams two helicopters so that they can't escape.
The game is a very simple, movement, negotiation and bluffing game with a RPS style combat interactions. The winner of which can either injure, interrogate (try and learn their identity) or steal an item from the loser. Of course they can also just ignore each other or exchange items.
Many of the rooms in the embassy have special functions that allow players to get items and weapons, x-ray people's equipment, as they move through certain doors, spy on interactions between other players, call helicopters, turn off the lights etc.
I think the key to the game is that a player who is interrogated is never sure if the opposing player did see his identity or is just bluffing which should induce some nice paranoia.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 18:23 by duckgoatwombat. Reason: URLy whirly

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds