October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
05 Dec 2014 00:16 #191970 by VonTush
I'm considering Rum & Bones . It looking like Broadsides and Boarding Parties mixed with a bit of Rivet Wars...Or at least that's my take.

You have two ships that are parallel to each other with a steady stream of crew that comes out of spawn points and moves in a steady stream towards your opponent's ships. These dudes you have no control over - You attack and the move them one space forward.

You also have five characters that make up your team and of course they take more hits and have cool powers to use. Using the powers usually cost coins which are earned mainly by killing the grunt crew. The goal is to earn VPs which are obtained by destroying key elements on your opponent's ship like the main mast, the rigging, deck cannon...etc. Or killing the Sea Dragon that may pop up...There's also a kraken that may pop up causing hell as well. You also have a hand of cards that provide all sorts of extra cool stuff (that's how the Sea Dragon pops out, through a card).

So usually your running around with up to three of your characters (can't have more than that in play at a time) trying to create a hole through the stream of grunts to cause damage on the objective spots.

It looks like a dice-fueled hack and slash game and looks like a lot of fun. Very trashy it seems and very much in line with the rest of the CoolMini games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2014 00:28 #191971 by Bull Nakano
Every CMON game hits the csi daily sales at $40 at some point. Unless they have a dump truck full of extra minis I could never imagine paying 100 up front.

More
05 Dec 2014 00:51 #191972 by VonTush
You know the games have to hit retail before I can go to the bargain bin!

Their problem though is their direct to consumer approach. They've already tapped and drained the market. So by the time it hit retailers either the hype/excitement has passed or everyone who wants the game already has it. And then those who do miss out look for the second hand market (the people reselling the Kickstarter to turn a profit on the exclusives) in order to get said exclusives. Retail without exclusives is not what people are after.

I don't know what you consider a truckload, but it does come with (at current count as of this posting) 79 minis. Their games aren't for everyone, that I know.

More
06 Jan 2015 11:13 #194237 by Legomancer
Not a boardgame, but you should check out pal Karla's

Inspector Pancakes Helps The President Of France solve the white orchid murders

It's a children's book not for children and it's hilarious.

More
06 Jan 2015 13:48 #194274 by VonTush
Likely a longshot here, but should anyone have backed The Dice Tower Season 11 and does not want their Arcadia Quest promo let me know, I'm in the market. You can send me a PM as well and I promise not to blow your cover and divulge your support of Tom.

More
06 Jan 2015 14:11 #194281 by Secret Satan
I'm backing BoardGameGeek: The Card Game for someone special.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, stoic

More
06 Jan 2015 14:17 #194283 by mads b.
I just got my Writers Emergency Pack a few months before planned. It's a deck of cards you can use when writing to generate ideas (or rather: approaches) and writing exercises. I haven't tried to use it while writing yet, but it looks promising.

More
12 Jan 2015 10:59 #194823 by Legomancer
I really don't want to do any more Kickstarters, but I have to admit, the look and theme here are pretty cool: <a href=" www.kickstarter.com/projects/damefortuna...ivecat-voodoo-lounge ">Swinging Jivecat Voodoo Lounge

Unfortunately, $50 is more than I'm happy to throw down for an unknown quantity, even though I'd like to support something like this. <a href=" boardgamegeek.com/thread/1298612/league-...nging-jivecat-voodoo ">This review is helping to talk me into it, but I think I'll still probably pass.

More
12 Jan 2015 11:26 #194835 by ThirstyMan
Definitely no more Kickstarters for me.

Far too much inexperience in game design for the risk involved, as a general rule.

More
12 Jan 2015 11:33 #194838 by SuperflyPete

Legomancer wrote: I really don't want to do any more Kickstarters, but I have to admit, the look and theme here are pretty cool: <a href=" www.kickstarter.com/projects/damefortuna...ivecat-voodoo-lounge ">Swinging Jivecat Voodoo Lounge

Unfortunately, $50 is more than I'm happy to throw down for an unknown quantity, even though I'd like to support something like this. <a href=" boardgamegeek.com/thread/1298612/league-...nging-jivecat-voodoo ">This review is helping to talk me into it, but I think I'll still probably pass.

When Beastie Bar is available for 25$, and made by a known publisher, with essentially the same theme (sans animals), it really makes you wonder how there's a market for 99% of all Kickstarters.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds