October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Need advice. Getting a Wii U.

More
03 Aug 2015 09:16 #207785 by bendgar
I'm getting the console that I can play with the family in the same room. I have not been following any releases for systems after the 360 so I have a few questions.

1. It looks like only one bundle comes with the sensor bar. Is it necessary? What good games require it?
2. Never owned a Wii before. Any games for the old system that I must play on the Wii U?
3. Any Wii U games I should buy right away?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2015 09:45 #207786 by Michael Barnes
Good choice!

1) You only need one sensor bar. But do get enough Wiimotes for everyone playing. You might also want a Pro controller and at least two nunchucks. Buy all of the above used. You can only use one Gamepad so you won't need another.

2) There are, but get Wii U stuff to start with. There are a ton of great Wii games, many very inexpensive. Maybe get a $5 copy of Boom Blox.

3) For family play, Nintendoland is one of the best- and it comes with it. But the must-haves beyond that in this space are Mario Kart 8, Super Smas Bros. And Super Mario 3D World. All support 4 players and will keep you playing for YEARS. But really, any Nintendo first party game is a must-have. If you want some more gamerly stuff- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Bayonetta 2 (includes his first game too), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
03 Aug 2015 09:47 #207787 by Wetworks
For Wii U games you should look into,

Mario Kart 8
Splatoon
Bayonetta 2
Super Mario 3d World
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Smash Bro (if you like fighting games)
Windwaker HD

The sensor bar is for using the wii mote.

More
03 Aug 2015 10:04 #207790 by Black Barney
Bad choice!

3. You can make up for it though by getting the most awesome games ever for it:

Rayman Legends
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros for Wii U (even if you don't like fighting games, you'll love this)
Bayonetta 2
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (i hate you for being able to play this)

Those are really the best five. Start with those must-haves

More
03 Aug 2015 10:11 #207791 by bendgar
No Rayman for me. I played through that one on the 360 and then my 3 year old erased my data and I had to beat it again. I now have a recent save game on the hard drive and 2 other memory cards :)

Thanks for all the info. So those WiiMotes work well for most games? I was just going to add on 1 pro controller. I'm not 100% sure how the virtual arcade works but Mario Bros. and Mario 3 are a given.

More
03 Aug 2015 10:32 #207801 by Sagrilarus
My youngest two kids have been playing Playground for four or five years now, keep coming back. They've been on it from ages 8 through 12. I think it was cheap when it was new, probably $5 used. Hard to beat a game with five years of legs for $5.

More
03 Aug 2015 10:52 #207806 by bendgar
Quick question. If my first games are Nintendo Land, Mario 3D World and Smash Bros. Do I need the nunchuk or are the Wiimotes fine by themselves?

More
03 Aug 2015 12:06 #207822 by OldHippy

bendgar wrote: Quick question. If my first games are Nintendo Land, Mario 3D World and Smash Bros. Do I need the nunchuk or are the Wiimotes fine by themselves?

No nunchuck needed for those games.

My favorite Wii U titles are

Bayonetta 2 (played through the campaign 3 times.. I adore this game)
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8 (the best one ever made IMO)
Super Smash Bros (fantastic couch co-op experience, one of the best party games of all time)
Shovel Knight (nice cheap title that's a blast if you like old platformers)

Also of interest is

Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Nintendoland

and some Wii games

Mario Galaxy 2 (one of the best Mario titles ever, maybe the best)
Madworld (very dark but kind of funny too)
Sin and Punishment Star Successor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., bendgar

More
03 Aug 2015 14:50 - 03 Aug 2015 14:53 #207841 by Ken B.
If this info helps, two of my boys are 11 and 14, and they play Wii U more than any other system in the house (and we have a houseful of gaming systems hooked up to almost every TV in the house.)

Your Wii Remotes will work fine. In fact, that's how you'll end up playing a lot of the games on there. Buy extras, because they're always useful. One sensor bar does it all. I'm not even sure if it's possible to hook up another way, but make sure to use HDMI. The colors on the Wii U are ultra crisp and pop on the screen, despite the fact it is a less powerful system than its competitors.

Smash Bros. is just....it's hours upon hours of fun in a box. They could charge $100 for it and it would be justifiable. The depth and breadth both of gameplay is ridiculous. It's funny, because we have played the various versions of Smash Bros. for years and I always had to take it easy on them. Now, it's a true battle, and to be honest my 11-year-old edges me in skill quite often. Ah, growing old.

Mario Kart is also insanely fun. The tracks are intense. Now, where the skill is close in Smash Bros., my boys have left me behind on Mario Kart. I'm hanging in at the top quarter at the fastest speeds, but I'll always take a spill or get smashed with a power up and I'm out of true contention.

Nintendoland does come with and honestly, a library just featuring Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and this could last you for a very, very long time. Great group of minigames. The Mario Chase is great fun, I only wish there were more than three courses for it.

The Virtual Console is another sweet treat. Lots of games available from the SNES, GBA, N64, and other systems. In Wii Mode, the Virtual Console offerings are even richer. Oh, that's right, the Wii U is 100% back compatible with the original Wii games, something neither Sony or Microsoft can be assed to get right. (PS4 being unable to play PS3 games is the epitome of he fucking dick and then bullshit.)

And while Nintendo still can't be bothered to put even a basic DVD player in their systems (I will never understand this), the Wii U can fully handle your streaming hub needs, with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime all supported. Pretty sweet. Don't know if you're into cord-cutting at all, but that could be a consideration if you've even thought about that before.

EDIT: One more cool thing--a lot of Wii games support transferring the screen to the handheld unit. That works great if your young 'un wants to keep playing Mario 3D and you'd like to watch something else. It's a cooler feature than I'd realized initially. It surprisingly has less range than I'd expect, you can't wander into the next room with it or it will lose connection with your system (unlike my TV remotes which can change the TV channel from upstairs, oddly.)
Last edit: 03 Aug 2015 14:53 by Ken B..

More
03 Aug 2015 15:30 #207844 by bendgar
Thanks Ken. The number of different controller options was giving me a headache. No way do I want to buy 3 Wiimotes and 3 Nunchucks and 3 Pro Controllers just to play several games with two opponents. Everything is getting clearer now.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this. It's going to feel good having Mario in my house again.

More
03 Aug 2015 16:21 #207855 by tscook
Welcome to the good life, the Ninty life.

More
03 Aug 2015 23:39 #207896 by san il defanso
Everyone here has given you great advice. Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, and Super Mario 3D World are all terrific. I like Windwaker a whole lot too. Actually it's my favorite Zelda game, and it's probably the definitive version.

I agree that you shouldn't worry about any Wii titles just yet, but you should definitely get to them eventually. The two Mario Galaxy games are basically two of the best video games of all time, both Zelda games are great (I do like Twilight Princess more), and there are a lot of good one-off games like Rhythm Heaven and Punch-Out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Aug 2015 09:04 - 04 Aug 2015 09:11 #207910 by Mr. White
I picked up a Wii U last year to play with the kids and it's been great. Yes, the classic Wii U titles have been mentioned, and we also use the Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu features quite a bit.

However, one of my favorite things about the Wii U is all the classic NES and SNES games available for it. Sure there are a few gaps due to laps licenses (such as TMNT), but my son (8) and I have had great fun playing through Super Metroid and Earth Bound together. Two games I never played during their first run. Of course, plenty of other classics are available for download as well: Zelda: LttP, Mario 3, F-Zero, Axelay, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Super Castlevania, Super Contra: Alien Wars, the Final Fights and Street Fighters, etc.

We haven't even really touched any of the Wii greats. That Sin and Punishment looks cool.

I can imagine we'll be playing games on this system for years. Likely, long after the next generation of consoles are out we'll still be mashing buttons on this system. great value!
Last edit: 04 Aug 2015 09:11 by Mr. White.

More
04 Aug 2015 19:56 #207956 by username
At least one Nintendo land game requires a nunchuck, but you can get endless hours of. Fun without it.

If you buy used wiimotes, make sure they are wii motion plus or they won't work with the wii u

More
04 Aug 2015 22:13 #207963 by san il defanso

Squigherder wrote: At least one Nintendo land game requires a nunchuck, but you can get endless hours of. Fun without it.

If you buy used wiimotes, make sure they are wii motion plus or they won't work with the wii u

This isn't the case actually. The game will say if it wants Motion Plus Wiimotes. In the case of Nintendoland, a few of the games need them and a few don't. We have two Motion Plus wiimotes, and one regular, and all three frequently get used in games of Super Smash Bros. attached to classic controllers. In fact, I could be wrong, but I believe the whole reason for the sensor bar is so that classic wiimotes will work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds