October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What audio books are you listening to?

More
17 Jun 2017 13:52 #250059 by Brewmiester
About half way through

Walkaway By Cory Doctorow

Each chapter is from a different character's point of view and they have different readers for each character so part of the fun is seeing how the different readers portray the same character. Very enjoyable so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2017 16:12 #250067 by Jauron
Just got done listening to the Kingkiller Chronicles books 1 and 2, pretty decent.

Currently listening to The Redshirts.

American Gods is up next.

More
17 Jun 2017 23:52 #250086 by KingPut
I'm super excited to listen to our own F:AT author Kevin Sands (Bullwinkle), Mark of the Plague: Blackthorn Key, Book 2. A few years ago we went on a family vacation and had a blast listening to Blackhorn Key. On Monday, me, QueenPut and Spawns are packing up and driving 6 1/2 hours to Cedar Point in Ohio. Mark of the Plague is listed as 9 1/2 hours so that should be perfect for the 13+ hours in the car.

I was telling my daughter today that I ranked Blackhorn Key just below Harry Porter 1,3 and 5 and but as better than Harry Porter 2,4,6,7 and 8. Note bad for Bullwinkle's first book. The time period is awesome because there really is much family fiction that takes place during the English restoration period. My youngest daughter has been itching to listen to book 2 but I've been holding out until the big family vacation car ride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Jun 2017 09:59 #250171 by drewcula
I just wrapped up two:
1) The Death of Expertise, by Tom Nichols. It's a pretentious examination of how and why we treat each other like crap. It's a bit eye opening, and pretty depressing.
2) The Fold, by Peter Clines. I had a long road trip to Origins, and many people recommended this title. I don't feel it reached the hype. I thought it was a poor man's Michael Crichton, and about as "hard sci-fi" as any of Crichton's lesser works. It was entertaining, that I won't deny. But I wouldn't put it much past a pulply genre offering.

Prior to these two middling affairs, I re-"read" the Dark Tower series on audio. I read the first three twenty years ago. I stopped half way through Wizard and Glass. Last summer, I committed to all seven (ahem, eight) books via audio. It took ten months, and it was a pretty dumb commitment, IMO. I enjoyed books one and four the most. Most of King's work post-accident has been rubbish, though a few stand out (shitty pun). Dark Tower books 5-"8" are not among the positives. I don't know if I'd say they're as diminishing in return as Herbert's Dune sequels - but they're not far off. Wind Through the Keyhole was just a lame money grab. Not as bad as Doctor Sleep, but that ain't saying much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Brewmiester

More
22 Sep 2017 05:59 #254588 by repoman
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and read by Ray Bradbury

I love Ray Bradbury. Fahrenheit 451 is a marvelous book. I think it is also suited to audio however it's read by Ray Bradbury who is not a dramatist. He is not a voice actor. He is an author and one of my most favorite but after the novelty of having him read his own story wears off you will be left wishing that somebody more suited to the task had read the book.

Night Soldiers by Alan Furst and read by George Guidall

Absolutely great. The story is about a young Bulgarian who gets recruited by the Soviet Secret Police (NKVD) in the early 30's and what happens to him over the next 15 years or so. The story is exciting and entertaining and takes many twists and turns but never feels contrived in the "twist for sake of twist" sense. The reader is perhaps the best I've heard yet.

I found myself looking forward to my commute just so I could find out what happens to Kristo next! Highly recommended.

Attachments:

More
23 Sep 2017 12:06 #254660 by Bernie
I listen to a lot of Audio books. I recently finished Version Control by Dexter Palmer. Really neat book. A bit off my usual stuff, but super fun. I can recommend all kinds of fun books. I have a lot at this point. Also been listening to the expanse recently. quite good.

More
23 Sep 2017 13:16 #254661 by Cranberries

repoman wrote: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and read by Ray Bradbury

Night Soldiers by Alan Furst and read by George Guidall

Absolutely great. The story is about a young Bulgarian who gets recruited by the Soviet Secret Police (NKVD) in the early 30's and what happens to him over the next 15 years or so. The story is exciting and entertaining and takes many twists and turns but never feels contrived in the "twist for sake of twist" sense. The reader is perhaps the best I've heard yet.

I found myself looking forward to my commute just so I could find out what happens to Kristo next! Highly recommended.

That is a good book. I love the period and the topic. Alan Furst books have been showing up at the library surplus sale so I've been buying everything.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds