October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What CREATIONS are you crafting?

More
03 Nov 2016 13:11 - 03 Nov 2016 13:36 #237407 by Count Orlok
I'll leave it the topic a bit open to interpretation; what are you making? crafting? writing? drawing?

Awhile back I was trying to commission some instruments, but sadly the builder died. I did a little more digging, and found another luthier, but that too fell through. So about a year ago I decided to start learning myself, and now that I live in an area with cheaper space, I'm assembling a workshop.

I bought this octave mandolin kit (tuned an octave below a mandolin) (which had the pieces precut and prebent), and finally finished it a few weeks ago:
File Attachment:

I've got a few more projects on the workbench, like this piccolo mandolin:
File Attachment:

I started work on a standard flattop mandolin this week. Pictures forthcoming.

So what about everyone else? Any projects you have completed or underway?

[Edit: Ok, figured out the pictures!]
Last edit: 03 Nov 2016 13:36 by Count Orlok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, OldHippy, Erik Twice, JEM, barrowdown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2016 13:28 #237408 by ChristopherMD
Can't help with pictures. I always host mine on photobucket and just use links.

I've been working on designing a board game actually. Decided to make my own dream Old West board game for fun. Its coming along beautifully but still has a long way to go. Expect a KS announcement in about five years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Count Orlok, OldHippy, Erik Twice

More
03 Nov 2016 13:40 #237409 by Count Orlok

Mad Dog wrote: Can't help with pictures. I always host mine on photobucket and just use links.

I've been working on designing a board game actually. Decided to make my own dream Old West board game for fun. Its coming along beautifully but still has a long way to go. Expect a KS announcement in about five years.

What sort of game will it be? It seems like the Old West is sorely lacking in games, or at least interesting games I've crossed paths with.

More
03 Nov 2016 14:39 #237412 by OldHippy
I love this thread idea. The first two entries are already awesome. You maybe know, maybe not, but Mandolin is a passion of mine. I play in a ... sort of experimental bluegrass band and I play Mandolin, Octo-Mandolin and Mandola... so I love what you're doing.

Then Mad Dog working on an old west game... one of my favourite settings by far. Too cool guys, too cool.

I'm working super hard on a solo album that will probably end up being a double album released as separate albums. Maybe one will be called Some Things and the other Wrong.. or something along those lines. One of them is kind of traditional folksy type things and the other is more experimental. I have various things on line in various stages of completion. The only thing that is pretty much done and already out there is a video I made about Jian Ghomeshi's sexual assaults and the media hype around it all. I sort of tie in some shitty personal experiences I had as a kid in the last verse.. but nothing too obvious. If you're familiar with the case and exactly what 'Big Ears Teddy' was it all makes more sense, but it's kind of surreal enough that it sort of works anyway.

Quick run-down. Jian was a radio host of a popular arts program on CBC and a noted left wing feminist type. Turns out a lot of women complained that he attacked them and was actually a serial abuser... he wasn't convicted in court except for a small apology he had to give but mostly everyone thinks he's scum now. There was a teddy bear he had that was named 'Big Ears Teddy' and before he would beat a woman in his house he would turn to the teddy bear and say: "Big Ears shouldn't see this" and make it face the wall. Then he'd proceed to do that awful thing. So naturally I just had to write a song about this craziness. Then I made a video to go with it... this would be on the more experimental album and I know the tune isn't particularly pleasant but considering the topic... that's kind of point. The small amount of humour some people get out of it is uncomfortable and intentional. So if you hate it... you're probably responding correctly. ;)

I'm working on a new video right now that is going to star me instead of puppets... but wearing various costumes. I'll see how that turns out. Should be just as low budget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, barrowdown

More
03 Nov 2016 14:44 #237413 by ChristopherMD

Count Orlok wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: Can't help with pictures. I always host mine on photobucket and just use links.

What sort of game will it be? It seems like the Old West is sorely lacking in games, or at least interesting games I've crossed paths with.

Each player controls a single cowboy with their own win condition(s) based on choices they make during the game. The mechanics are original, afaik, so its hard to describe it without writing the rulebook here. Straight western with no supernatural stuff but more cinematic than historic.

More
03 Nov 2016 16:17 #237415 by Disgustipater
I'm currently building a workshop for woodworking and other stuff. 12' x 20' with 10' ceilings. My contractor boss helped me frame it on Monday, and I'm getting the roofing material tomorrow so I can roof it this weekend. I'm trying to get it done by Thanksgiving, so hopefully I can power through the siding and sheetrocking.

I didn't realize how tall 10' ceilings actually were until the walls went up. It's great. Can't wait to finish it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Count Orlok, ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, OldHippy, barrowdown

More
03 Nov 2016 16:38 - 03 Nov 2016 16:43 #237416 by Count Orlok

JonJacob wrote: I love this thread idea. The first two entries are already awesome. You maybe know, maybe not, but Mandolin is a passion of mine. I play in a ... sort of experimental bluegrass band and I play Mandolin, Octo-Mandolin and Mandola... so I love what you're doing.

Pretty cool to hear about your group. I play the next-to-rarest of the mandolin family, the mandocello. This whole endeavor started because the instrument is so rare and expensive, I decided to build them myself. Being so large, however, I figured I would work up to them and other archtop guitars. The materials are certainly not cheap.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2016 16:43 by Count Orlok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, OldHippy

More
03 Nov 2016 17:14 #237417 by Gary Sax
That looks awesome, Digustipater.

More
03 Nov 2016 17:25 - 03 Nov 2016 17:32 #237418 by OldHippy

Count Orlok wrote: I play the next-to-rarest of the mandolin family, the mandocello. This whole endeavor started because the instrument is so rare and expensive, I decided to build them myself. Being so large, however, I figured I would work up to them and other archtop guitars. The materials are certainly not cheap.

I played a Mandocello once at Twelth Fret in Toronto and fell in love instantly. It's my next buy once I've saved up the money. Those chorus strings sound amazing in the lower registers, which are much more forgiving than higher pitch instruments. The only bitch I have is that being tuned in fifths is great when you're playing a small instrument but sucks on the big boys. Most the chords I'm used to are suddenly impossible.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2016 17:32 by OldHippy.

More
05 Nov 2016 09:05 - 05 Nov 2016 09:16 #237488 by Erik Twice
I really like model trains. When I was a kid I used to have a small-layout at my aunt's house,a meresimple oval with a couple locomotives and the cars included in the starter box. I spent hours watching the trains go around and building small consists, wishing I had the money to do more. But alas, it was not to be. Eventually my aunt needed the space and all my trains went into a box. not to be played with for many years.

I simply had nowhere to put them. Living with my parents in a small, furniture-heavy room I was not in a position to spend space and now that I might finally be able to move and get my own place, chances are space will remain at a high premium.

But I've found out I might not actually need that much space, at least in the normal sense. Browsing around the internet I came across pictures of people putting their layouts against a wall behind a painting and then dropping them like a folding table when needed. Like this:

Layout stored behind a painting

As long as you have a free wall, you can put a huge layout in an otherwise very small room. I could easily fit 6 square meters in mine, which is far more space than I ever thought was possible.

So I've been thinking about picking up the hobby again. No building so far, just ideas and planning: What kind of layout I want, what I can do in the meantime and even whether I should change scales! N Scale is already fairly small, but seeing pictures of the extremely small T scale (1:440) made me really consider it at least until I saw that the only available switches had an S-bend shape and making my own would be difficult.

Because I've decided I'll build my own track if I keep my trains. Swtiches are very expensive, around 13€ each. It takes time and effort, but I can build my own for practically nothing and make them look prettier and more realistic so why not?

I'm also building a table for my video games. I have two big CRTs and my idea is to put them both and my computer on a big table that can also store all my consoles. and cables. Hopefully I'll be able to build soon, having them sitting around doing nothing makes me sad :(
Last edit: 05 Nov 2016 09:16 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Disgustipater

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds