October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What DOCUMENTARIES are you VIEWING?

More
22 Dec 2016 22:22 #241225 by ChristopherMD
I just finished Inside Chernobyl's Mega Tomb which sounds like a Syfy channel movie but was actually really interesting. I've read a lot about the incident in the past. Everything leading up to it and efforts to clean up the surrounding area as much as possible. Odds are that we'll continue to have more disasters so everything we learn and try now for containment and cleanup could be useful somewhere down the road too. Anyways, its about the giant building they just built over the old one that is collapsing. The new one has robotic arms inside to start dismantling and removing the waste.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2016 22:27 #241226 by Brewmiester
I watched Smothered last weekend. It's about the Smother Brother's fight with the censors when they were doing their show. I vaguely remember watching some shows when I was young. I thought Tom was the smart one at the time but watching the documentary made me realize Dick was the brains and the spirit of the pair.

More
22 Dec 2016 22:41 #241228 by Grudunza
Saw a few great ones this year...

Kumare - guy fakes being a guru, people think he's for real

An Honest Liar - about magician James Randi and his debunking of faith healers and people like Uri Geller

O.J.: Made in America - awesome recap of not only the trial, but his background and early fame and the context of all of that into what happened and the verdict; also the ensuing years when he and hookers and lowlifes in Florida were seeking the real killers

Dear Zachary - whew, just fucking rough, but very well done

More
22 Dec 2016 23:25 - 22 Dec 2016 23:28 #241231 by Jexik

Grudunza wrote: Dear Zachary - whew, just fucking rough, but very well done

Yeah, man. The best and worst of humanity in one movie. So frustrating. I'm not sure that I'd watch it if I could go back in time.

I love Jiro Dreams of Sushi. And most things VICE does on topics that interest me. Whenever they look into our relations with Russia, it's quite ominous.

American Juggalo was something I didn't know a whole lot about and it was pretty short but sweet.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2016 23:28 by Jexik.

More
23 Dec 2016 09:27 #241244 by southernman

Mad Dog wrote: I just finished Inside Chernobyl's Mega Tomb which sounds like a Syfy channel movie but was actually really interesting. I've read a lot about the incident in the past. Everything leading up to it and efforts to clean up the surrounding area as much as possible. Odds are that we'll continue to have more disasters so everything we learn and try now for containment and cleanup could be useful somewhere down the road too. Anyways, its about the giant building they just built over the old one that is collapsing. The new one has robotic arms inside to start dismantling and removing the waste.

Just watched that myself a couple of nights back, brilliant idea and great viewing if you like engineering a lot (I do).

Too many others (watched) to name, what happens when you get a dozen or so doc channels on cable and you have a brain that just compels you to watch them. There has been a series running in parallel to Mars called Antarctica that, surprise, is all about the different science and support teams down there (us kiwis have our own base down there so we were brought up knowing about it and having a bit of interest/pride in it).

More
23 Dec 2016 09:40 #241245 by Nodens
This year, The Other F-Word really stood out for me. It's somewhat older (2011?), just kind of honest and sweet.

More
23 Dec 2016 21:24 - 23 Dec 2016 21:24 #241269 by Black Barney
That Lo and Behold one, Reveries of a Connected World was very special

I reviewed it here
Last edit: 23 Dec 2016 21:24 by Black Barney.

More
23 Dec 2016 21:27 - 23 Dec 2016 21:28 #241270 by Grudunza
Forgot about these...

Eat That Question - Focuses mainly on Frank Zappa's interviews, but also features a lot of live footage. Probably only of interest if you're a Zappa fan, but it's great in that case.

I Am Your Father - About David Prowse, the man in the Darth Vader suit. Not bad, and has some interesting behind-the-scenes Star Wars anecdotes, but not sure it was worth a full length movie.

Amanda Knox - About the English student accused and sentenced for murdering her roommate in France, and some of the questions and complications around that. Not nearly as interesting as something like Making a Murderer, but not bad.

Voyage of Time - Terrence Malick's film about the formation and history of the Earth. Fantastic. I saw the shorter 45 minute version with Brad Pitt narrating, but I'd read a few reports that the shorter version holds its time and interest better than the 90 minute version (I still want to see that longer version at some point, though).

De Palma - A great look at the work and style of Brian De Palma.

Going Clear - I wasn't any more disturbed about Scientology after seeing this (that was already the case), but it did resonate hugely to my own religion (Mormonism) at the time, which I've since left.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2016 21:28 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2017 12:38 #243545 by Jexik
Watched through Netflix's COOKED. Loved it! Really encouraged me to keep learning how to cook and to have us eat as little processed food as possible.

HAPPY was pretty interesting too. Bhutan has a national goal of maximizing Gross National Happiness instead of GDP/GNP.

More
06 Feb 2017 12:57 #243546 by Gregarius
I watched Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck over the weekend. It was just okay. I really liked the form of the film-- it mixed home movies, still photos, animated recreations, audio interviews, talking head interviews, and concert footage in a very dynamic and interesting way, but it didn't seem to have a focus.

I didn't have a strong opinion about Cobain going into the film, I had just heard this was really good. I came out thinking that it didn't really tell me anything. I appreciated that they didn't make a saint or martyr out of him. Also, Dave Grohl was noticeably absent from the modern interviews. You could see how close they were in the old footage, which made his absence more irritating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
06 Feb 2017 13:30 #243547 by jeb
Werner Herzog still hating nature better than anyone else...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
06 Feb 2017 17:14 #243561 by wadenels
All This Mayhem on Netflix is pretty fantastic. I'm not that into skateboarding culture but this doc is a really good look into the scene at the time.

More
14 Apr 2017 06:27 - 14 Apr 2017 06:31 #246537 by Nodens
Saw Jodorowsky's Dune the other day. It has crazy dudes like Mick Jagger, Orson Welles, Salvador Dali, Pink Floyd and reminded me of a story that R.A. Wilson told on RAW explains everything, how he once wrote a pitch for a show on a space station, got rejected and had to see Babylon 5 being realised shortly after. I always felt there might be hundreds of those stories.
Anyone who ever felt slightly disappointed by something out of Hollywood will relate to this, I think. That movie explains a LOT about SF movies of the last 30 years. I especially liked the part near the end where
Warning: Spoiler!

His comments on the Dune that got made are most rewarding.
Seeing how all these ideas got into later movies and comic books anyway made me angry, sad and a little hopeful. You can't kill ideas after all.

edit: name dropping
Last edit: 14 Apr 2017 06:31 by Nodens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Frohike, stoic

More
14 Apr 2017 09:22 - 14 Apr 2017 09:46 #246546 by SebastianBludd

Nodens wrote: Anyone who ever felt slightly disappointed by something out of Hollywood will relate to this, I think.

I recently watched The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened? which is a similar story, albeit about an actor (Nicholas Cage) and director (Tim Burton) that I don't really care for. After watching it I'm still not convinced it wouldn't have suffered from the same problems as recent DC fare - with a heaping help of Superman angst - but it looked like it would have been interesting at the very least. The movie would have played up Clark Kent's social awkwardness while having him not know he was even an alien until Lex Luthor discovers parts of his ship. The main villains also would have been Brainiac - in an admittedly cool-looking skull ship - and Doomsday with a big Superman v. Doomsday set piece under the city streets.

What ultimately killed the project was Warner Bros.' recent losing streak of big budget films that lost money, which fed their fear of what they perceived to be the non-commercial aspects of the project. The punchline? The movie they made instead was none other than the box office turd, Wild Wild West.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2017 09:46 by SebastianBludd.

More
14 Apr 2017 14:18 #246571 by Frohike
I've been watching the series Abstract: The Art of Design on Netflix.

Since I'm mainly a writer and coder and only get to do some design now & then with UX, I find that I have a fanboyish reverence for design-minded people. There's just something ineffable for me about someone's ability to grasp visual/spacial/tactile design problems and to not only solve them in creative ways, but command the respect & buy-in to get those solutions implemented, sometimes on massive scales.

The series itself is very well edited & curated. I think my favorite episodes are the last three: Paula Sher (graphic design/typography), Platon (photography), and Ilse Crawford (interior design).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds