October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Stranger Things 2

More
22 Jul 2017 20:59 #251531 by Michael Barnes
GOD DAMN!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling, Black Barney, Frohike, engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2017 21:47 #251532 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Stranger Things 2
Wow

More
22 Jul 2017 21:56 #251533 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Stranger Things 2
So excited!

More
23 Jul 2017 08:57 #251537 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Stranger Things 2
I remember thos 80s things!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
24 Jul 2017 11:24 - 24 Jul 2017 11:59 #251576 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Stranger Things 2

Legomancer wrote: I remember thos 80s things!

Truth.

I liked Stranger Things a lot, however I do knock it a star for relying too much on nostalgia. Oddly enough this comes from the guy who's a big synthwave fan.

What I mean with ST2 though is that a lot of the hype is because they're showing us, up front and center, stuff we already love. Dragon's Lair, Ghostbusters, Thriller...those of us of that vintage are going to get hyped. It's, as they say in the wrestling business, a cheap pop.

The new Thor is also relying very heavily on future retro sights and sounds. But where I rate the Thor trailer higher is that it is using the stylings of that era to enhance new material. Outside of Banner wearing a Patrick Nagel/Duran Duran shirt at about the :34 mark, there isn't anything here I've already seen before. Even that shot is sort of casual and not all in your face like the ST2 nostalgia bits.

So, to me, it feels that ST2 is relying on all that I already like to draw me in...not much new here. Whereas the Thor trailer is using the aesthetics of that era to build something new....if that makes any sense.

EDIT: An expanded thought. If my son and I were to both watch ST2...we would have different levels of attachment because I come prepackaged already with love and familiarity to a lot of the material and he wouldn't. With Thor, as shown in that trailer, it seems we would both have the same level of enjoyment because it's all new to both of us. +1 for Thor.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2017 11:59 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, OldHippy, Colorcrayons, JEM

More
24 Jul 2017 12:12 #251580 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Stranger Things 2
Eh, not really overthinking it. Looks fun and I'm excited to see these characters again. It's like Stand By Me for kids of the 80s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
24 Jul 2017 16:13 #251597 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Stranger Things 2

Michael Barnes wrote: It's like Stand By Me for kids of the 80s.

Wouldn't that just be Stand By Me?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, Not Sure, SuperflyPete, JEM

More
24 Jul 2017 17:42 - 24 Jul 2017 17:44 #251601 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Stranger Things 2
I think Stand By Me is for kids from an earlier time

I'm not going on a long walk to see some dead body when there's NES that needs playing
Last edit: 24 Jul 2017 17:44 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
24 Jul 2017 17:51 #251602 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Stranger Things 2
Yeah. Gradius and contra. No contest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Jul 2017 18:05 #251603 by Michael Barnes
1950s- Do you guys want to see a DEAD BODY?
1960s- Hey man, want to drop acid and see a DEAD BODY?
1970s- Hey man, want to get high and see a DEAD BODY?
1980s- There's a DEAD BODY out there but I'm playing Contra instead.
1990s- OJ Simpson killed a DEAD BODY out by the train tracks!
2000s- Let's film a guy dying with our phones and put it on MySpace!
2010s- Let's film a guy dying with our phones and put it on Facebook!

Stand By Me was a film nostalgic for things 30 years in the past- it was referencing the 1950s in the 1980s. Likewise, Stranger Things is referencing stuff 30 years in the past. GOD DAMN IT, I feel old. That is a real mind-melter, that the things in Stand By Me that were referenced were, at that time, as old as the things that Stranger Things is referencing now. So, like when you heard "Lollipop" in that movie, it is temporally equidistant from today and Dragon's Lair.

The thing about the trailer is that the stuff it shows REALLY WAS central to being that age at that time. Thriller was a CONSTANT. Across all classes, sexes, religions, whatever. So was Ghostbusters and arcade games. The only thing that feels inauthentic to me is the Ghostbuster costumes. There were no costumes that good in 1984. You got one of those horrendous vinyl suits that induced sweating and it had like a picture of the Ghostbusters on it. It probably had a one-sided plastic mask with a terrible likeness of Bill Murray on it. You didn't have cosplay-perfect replicas like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Frohike

More
24 Jul 2017 19:02 - 24 Jul 2017 19:17 #251604 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Stranger Things 2
Good costumes were proof that your mommy really loved you.

Vinyl costumes meant that your parents disliked you so much, that you may as well have been an orphan.

Kooky spooks costumes meant that your parent was trendy, but still hated you.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2017 19:17 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Frohike

More
24 Jul 2017 20:44 #251605 by Michael Barnes
OMG! I had the pumpkin head Kooky Spook! I haven't thought about those in like 35 years! I loved that thing but I wouldn't wear the makeup.

I also had that exact devil and Vader too. I guess my parents really had it in for me.

More
24 Jul 2017 23:12 #251607 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Stranger Things 2

Michael Barnes wrote: Stand By Me was a film nostalgic for things 30 years in the past- it was referencing the 1950s in the 1980s. Likewise, Stranger Things is referencing stuff 30 years in the past. GOD DAMN IT, I feel old. That is a real mind-melter, that the things in Stand By Me that were referenced were, at that time, as old as the things that Stranger Things is referencing now. So, like when you heard "Lollipop" in that movie, it is temporally equidistant from today and Dragon's Lair.

Yep. last year. I went to a festival that had: The Specials, Social Distortion, The Descendants, The Misfits, Morrissey, etc. a good 30 years past their prime. It was like old folk in the 80's going to a festival or cruise with a bunch of 50's acts. Total Oldies Revue.

The generation before us had a 10-15 year run of nostalgia media...Wonder Years, Stand by Me, Back to the Future, ThirtySomething...this era probably ended with Forrest Gump. After that flick...not much looking back to the 50s. These folks are straight up OLD now.

It feels like we're in the midst of one of these cycles for the 80's kids. Every property turned into a boardgame or netflix cartoon, music and aesthetics from the era are having a little resurgence, etc. The question is...when does 'our' celebration pass and we officially age out?

Regarding ST2...again... very much liked ST. They just don't have to try hard. Throw up any old thing we had or saw as kids and we're in. Thor...on the other hand took a franchise I cared nothing about (hadn't even seen the first two movies) injected some beats I'm sensitive too...and now I'm in. The Thor crew had to put in some effort. Also ST2 is very much backwards facing while Thor looks to take inspiration from what we loved and make something new. Something relevant now. Maybe that helps me come to grips with my era officially passing....the hope that it can actually continue?

Yeah...those Ghostbusters costumes do sort of take you out...

More
25 Jul 2017 00:29 #251608 by Michael Barnes
I hate to be the Grim Reaper, but the age-out is happening...NOW. 1990s nostalgia is suddenly a THING. Bib overalls, Power Rangers, OJ Simpson (somehow mentioned twice in this thread by me at this point), Baywatch...when I was out in LA last week, there was some kind of "I Love the 90s" show going on at Griffith Park, it was like Tone Loc, TLC, and some other light R&B/pop hip hop stuff. The 80s revival shows (let alone the 70s punk oldies ones) are looking almost like if you were going to see The Andrew Sisters...in 1988.

I do agree with you about them trying a little too hard in ST, and if you go back and read my old timey post about it last year I mentioned that. There are some points where I think the fact that they are actually a little AFTER that actual generation shows. Like how he has a Thing poster in his room. Not that he wouldn't have liked/seen it, but having a poster for it at that point would have been really rare. Also his music...for a kid in that place at that time to be into something like Television would have been very, very rare. Unless he had friends from NYC or had lived in NYC, or was really into music journalism at the time. And The Smiths, who were BARELY known in the US at the time, and no records would have been down at the local Turtles/Peaches/Record Bar yet, except maybe as extremely expensive imports.

The thing is, the stuff they get the MOST right isn't really about that messy, wonderful web of pop culture detritus. It's about riding around on your bike with walkie talkies, playing D&D with your friends, and wondering what the hell is up with that high school dude with the perfect hair and penny loafers.

I still hold that they captured quite possibly the single most heartbreaking, painful moment of everyone's childhood in that show. The part at Steve's party where Nancy decides to go up to his room and she tells Barb "just go home"...and Barb is like "this isn't you." That little piece of writing is just devastating, who hasn't been in that EXACT situation...where you have a childhood friend that suddenly does something very adult and it's like there is suddenly this line dividing you from them, and leaving you completely alone. So powerful.

My son auditioned for a small role in season 2 so I've read a whopping two pages of the script...probably not supposed to say anything about it, but there is a scene where these dudes rob this bank and they are wearing He-Man Halloween masks. "Mom! Look! It's He-Man!"

More
25 Jul 2017 00:34 #251609 by Michael Barnes
Oh, Thor. It is going to be fucking awesome. It looks amazing, and it's directed by Taika Watiti. Who is just about the LAST person you'd expect to direct a Thor movie. He's probably best known for What We Do in the Shadows, he directed it and he plays Viago, the poncey Victorian vampire in it. It is also, I think, my second favorite comedy of all time (Pee Wee's Big Adventure being first, always).

"DO YOU LIKE BASGHETTI?"

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds