October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
07 Apr 2014 15:39 #175318 by san il defanso
My son got a Dr. Seuss Memory game and a Farmyard Bingo game for his birthday. He was really excited about them, and we played this weekend. At International Tabletop Day, no less!

I don't think I own any games specifically so I can play them with my kids, though a couple have stayed out of the trade pile because they like to play with the pieces. I own a lot of games that middle schoolers would like, but that's mostly because I have the gaming tastes of a 13-year-old.
The topic has been locked.
More
07 Apr 2014 15:42 #175320 by Michael Barnes
Scarlett is 2 1/2 and she manages the cupcake thing fine. She actually plays with it just about every day (it's all over the floor right now, actually). River likes it too, I get them all wound up about the party starting and some of the princesses don't have cupcakes yet.

But if your girl is still putting things in her mouth, it may be one to wait on since it is little pieces.

They LOVE Viva Topo. And Chicken Cha Cha Cha. River doesn't need as much guidance as she does, but she's pretty sharp about figuring things out.

She's been asking for a Little Mermaid game so that's probably next.
More
07 Apr 2014 15:49 #175322 by Space Ghost
Cool...I'll check out the cupcake game. We moved beyond the mouth putting phase at around 15 months. But now the little guy is on his way, so we have to start the worry all over again.

Right now, our order of princess favorites are:

Belle
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty

The rest move in and out, with an absolute indifference for Merida.

Telling her that some princesses don't have cupcakes yet would set my daughter off on a mission -- she is quite compulsive about fairness to all the princesses, etc. I'll have to try that out. Also, my wife makes cakes professionally, so that might be a nice tie in too.

She's also into vehicles right now (dump trucks, garbage trucks, forklifts, etc.) -- she hates the maxbox cars though because the doors don't open on the ones we have :(
More
07 Apr 2014 16:15 #175324 by VonTush
A game that my daughter loves (she's seven and we've been playing it since she was five or so) is Knusper-Hexe from HABA (The Candy Witch). You put the boxed inside of each other and then stick cards up between the two forming a four sided gingerbread house. On the top you place a deck of square cards face down on top forming the roof.

On the face of the cards is a type of candy. On your turn you pull a card and place if face up in your stack, if the candy on the card you pulled matches you put it back, otherwise you keep it. At some point the roof will collapse in waking the witch. Whoever then has the most cards takes a piece of candy, first one to two pieces of candy wins.

Another one that is great which you can only find at Target from Ravensburger is Bugs in the Kitchen. It uses those vibrating hexbugs and the board is a maze of forks, spoons and butter knifes that you turn forming a maze that you're trying to coax that hexbug into. The kids love that one. Been a while since I've played either one but get Bugs in the Kitchen before it is gone!
More
07 Apr 2014 16:16 #175325 by wadenels
A pretty cool kids game that flew under the radar was Pirates of the Caribbean: Master of the Seas . It's a miniatures game. You drive your pirate ships around on your hands and knees on the floor, and use a fixed-length plastic cartography compass to meter out distances and movement. You search the islands for plunder and generally shoot at each other a lot. Rules are dead simple but effective. We bought it on a whim at Toys R Us clearance a while back. I've seen a copy lingering in a Goodwill nearby too. I don't know if it's still available at Toys R Us or anywhere else, but it's really worth looking into, especially if your kids are into pirates.
More
07 Apr 2014 17:01 #175336 by Gary Sax

Space Ghost wrote: She's also into vehicles right now (dump trucks, garbage trucks, forklifts, etc.) -- she hates the maxbox cars though because the doors don't open on the ones we have :(

Hell yeah, my wife has all these great childhood videos of her getting tractors and shit for christmas because she didn't like traditional girl toys.
More
07 Apr 2014 19:04 #175344 by wadenels
Played one 2P game of Theseus. It might be awesome. We had greys vs aliens and only used the beginner cards, but I'm really excited to play more. Anyone tried playing 4P teams (2v2)? How well does it work?
More
07 Apr 2014 19:53 #175350 by DukeofChutney
played 1870. I thought i was done with 18xx, this game may have changed that though. This for me is probably the best 18xx game. The map is rather open and the companies relatively even so it isn't that prescriptive in terms of network building and opening strategy. This game will show a fair bit of variation between plays. Secondly it does retain some of 1830s nastiness in the stock market. You are unlikely to dump a company (the train curve isn't steep enough imo) but you can ditch shares to hurt a rival in the mid term. We also actually finished a game, took over 3 hours though with 3 players.
More
07 Apr 2014 20:01 #175351 by ozjesting
Table top day saw me purchase Rampage! I was wary, but a gift card eased the concern. Not sure what u was worried about. The kids love it! I love it! Even Mum has a go and she dosent really like playing games at all ;)
Silly, fun, colourful and just enough thought to keep it abut more than wanton destruction. Top marks!

Oh, my kids are 12 and twin 9s.
More
07 Apr 2014 21:06 #175356 by VonTush

ozjesting wrote: Table top day saw me purchase Rampage! I was wary, but a gift card eased the concern. Not sure what u was worried about. The kids love it! I love it! Even Mum has a go and she dosent really like playing games at all ;)
Silly, fun, colourful and just enough thought to keep it abut more than wanton destruction. Top marks!

Oh, my kids are 12 and twin 9s.

It is a great game made better that it is very easy to adapt to your tastes.
More
07 Apr 2014 21:48 #175361 by Michael Barnes
I'm in line at Target buying Bugs in the Kitchen...on sale for $20.,,thanks for the tip, VT!
More
09 Apr 2014 10:19 #175461 by VonTush
So I have determined what is my most hated rule of all time - The "Our Game is Short so Let's Make it Where You Have to Play and Win Multiple Times to Have an Official Win" Rule. Or TOGiSsLMiWYHtPaWMTtHaOWR for short.

Epic Spell Wars Battle for Mt Skullsfire is fun for one round. A second round is cute but not needed. Two hours for four rounds (and we didn't have an official winner) is excessive.

Rampage using my streamlined make it up as a I go along rules was a blast.

And a game of Quarriors which like always was a good time.
More
09 Apr 2014 10:24 #175462 by SuperflyPete

VonTush wrote: Rampage using my streamlined make it up as a I go along rules was a blast.

DO tell....streamlined rules? I can't really imagine this needing streamlined rules, but let's see what you have; I'm intrigued.
More
09 Apr 2014 10:33 #175463 by VonTush
Setup the city as normal.
Turn is still two actions, of the four actions listed.
I leave out the cards, teeth, player screen and escaped meeple board.
When a floor has no meeples you take it.
After your two actions you eat all the meeples in your neighborhood.
If you launch a vehicle and knock over an opposing monster you take one of their meeples.
After the last floor tile is eaten points are scored - 1 point per meeple and floor tile.

My goal was to focus on the destruction, most of the other stuff I judged as not being necessary.
More
09 Apr 2014 10:58 #175466 by engelstein
Went to the new Maelstrom convention, run by the Dexcon folks up in Morristown.

Got in a few games:

Playtested Panamax, the new one that's being copublished by Stronghold. It's an economic game about moving cargo through the Panama Canal. I enjoyed the theme, as I just finished reading The Path Between The Seas, about it's construction (the game, not the canal). That book is highly recommended, by the way.

I really enjoyed the cargo movement portion. They have a very interesting system involving the locks and groups of ships. There's a stock market portion that's built on top of that which I thought wasn't totally necessary. But I know that part of the game is still being developed. I look forward to seeing the final product.

Next I grabbed a bunch of folks for a seven player test of my new Tavern Brawl game - which I want to call 'Lager Heads', a name which others don't like. 90 minutes of throwing mugs, stabbing people, jumping on tables, and swinging from the rafters. I've done a lot of streamlining, and I'm very pleased with where it's at. A little more tweaking and testing and I think it'll be good to go.

Ended the day with Russian Railroads. We were all new players, but I realized before the others that generalizing would not work, and that you needed to pick a strategy and stick with it, and so won going away. I would definitely give it a shot again.

It reminded me of a slightly-more-complex Lords of Waterdeep. I could see it being very easy to teach to folks, as it is very streamlined, but with more meat in it than LoW.

Also was pleased to run into the designer of Volt, a new robot programming/fighting game I've wanted to get my hands on. Immediately bought a copy but have not had a chance to play it yet.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.757 seconds