October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
09 Apr 2014 20:19 #175517 by Josh Look

repoman wrote:
In other news, Josh, Jimbo, and I busted out Descent 2nd Ed last night with the plan of playing the campaign.

We played the intro scenario to get the rules and then traveled up to Lord Haw-haw's masquerade which turned out to be much more sinister than the rave we were told it would be. (Ooomsk Ooomsk Ooomsk....that's my rave music sound efffect).

We, Jimbo as the Healer and I as the Dwarven Berserker, won the first half of the scenario but were too slow to win the second half. Sure, the villain getting away was a disappointment but Josh's smug grin was infuriating.

Next time, he won't be so happy!

Yeah, this was insanely fun and I'm really glad we finally did it. Can't wait for next time. Still trying to retrain my brain to saying that I actually like Descent.
The topic has been locked.
More
09 Apr 2014 22:21 #175534 by Sagrilarus
Just pounded out four games of Memoir Online against my oldest son who is very good competition. If I can land a room at the Host he may accompany me to WBC. Unlike me, he'll actually sign up for tournaments and go all in on them (I'll teach him TI3 this Spring).

Really a great implementation of a good game. I like C&C's card choices better but Memoir Online makes it so easy to pound out games and I'll be honest, if feels like boardgaming. Most online versions don't do that for me.

S.
More
09 Apr 2014 22:57 #175537 by charlest
Played our second session of Myth. Tackled the 2nd Act of the 1st Story Quest tonight. It was the Soldier, Acolyte, and Brigand in a graveyard, surrounded by hordes of Spiders, and holding our ground. We got into trouble half-way through as the Acolyte and Soldier took some nasty hits from the Scorpion Captains. Poison took its toll for awhile as well.

We eventually regrouped, healed up a bit, and took on the mini-boss Yardu (a large skeletal bastard). Due to some excellent teamwork, buffs, and card combos, we were able to take him down without getting beaten up too badly. I could have one-shotted him with my Brigand due to massive buffs from the Acolyte, but unfortunately missed. The Acolyte ended up taking him out with a AOE prayer. Next session will be the final act of the 1st story and we will earn our first campaign reward. Looking forward to it.
More
11 Apr 2014 06:58 #175609 by repoman
Got to try out my new copy of Conquest of Paradise last night. It was ok. Reminding me of nothing so much as Space Empires 4X minus tech developments. A little less b.s. than Space Empires but boat chains, face down chits for quasi hidden movement with some dummy counters thrown in all seemed similar.

Engineer Al liked the exploration aspect and Uba said she liked it too.

Next time we play I'll add in the mosquitos and sweet potatoes.

Oh, and I conquered all the paradise, beating out Al and Uba by about 3 points which isn't a lot but enough.
More
11 Apr 2014 07:48 - 11 Apr 2014 07:52 #175611 by wadenels
Did you use the Random Event Cards ? Use the Random Event Cards!

EDIT: There's a 2nd Edition CoP with mounted map on GMT P500. I don't know if it comes with the Random Event Cards. They're still available as part of C3i magazine but they're easy enough to print yourself.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2014 07:52 by wadenels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse
More
11 Apr 2014 07:48 #175612 by ThirstyMan

repoman wrote: Will it come in an album cover, Geoff? :)

I kid, I'm sure if you stay true to form, it will be unlike just about everything else.

In other news, Josh, Jimbo, and I busted out Descent 2nd Ed last night with the plan of playing the campaign.

We played the intro scenario to get the rules and then traveled up to Lord Haw-haw's masquerade which turned out to be much more sinister than the rave we were told it would be. (Ooomsk Ooomsk Ooomsk....that's my rave music sound efffect).

We, Jimbo as the Healer and I as the Dwarven Berserker, won the first half of the scenario but were too slow to win the second half. Sure, the villain getting away was a disappointment but Josh's smug grin was infuriating.

Next time, he won't be so happy!

I love Swashbuckler too. I bought it when it first came out and had tons of fun with the programmed fighting.
More
11 Apr 2014 09:06 #175613 by SuperflyPete
I've been playing Stratego: Fire and Ice. It's actually not as bad as I imagined, although we're partial to the classic rules.

So, Jeff-reh.....is Descent 2E really that much better, simpler, et C?
More
11 Apr 2014 10:13 #175617 by Stonecutter
I have always loved Stratego. I still think it's the best of all of the classic games. Better than Risk, even.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush
More
11 Apr 2014 10:38 #175618 by Gregarius
Played ShadowRift last night. It's a co-op deck-builder in which you try to save a town from a hoard of attacking monsters. Aside from being tired of co-ops and deck-builders in general, I kinda liked it. It definitely had some neat ideas, but it was also a little too busy.

However, it is in serious need of a redesign. Just some basic principles like having card faces of different types be different colors or having non-microscopic numbers on the icons would do wonders for the playability. Some cards allow you to immediately draw a new card, and it would have been easy to have a big icon in the corner to indicate that, instead of text buried in the middle.

From what I understand, the game is already fairly popular, so I guess my complaints haven't stopped others from enjoying it.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.873 seconds