October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
05 Dec 2016 11:47 - 05 Dec 2016 11:48 #239842 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: Wow, Moana was fantastic. Loved the music. Beautiful. Will write review later. Emily didn't like it :(

Also brought the family to see this on Saturday, and we all loved it. The 3 year-old didn't understand everything (why's the grandma blue?), but wanted to go back and see it on Sunday as we were listening to the songs on Youtube. The 6 year-old spotted the Sven cameo right away and gleefully pointed it out.

Just like Barnes, I got misty eyed in a few spots, I don't know what's happening to me.

For some silly reason, the film is called Vaiana - Legend from the edge of the world in France (still Moana in Québec). Right now, the French soundtrack is nowhere to be found, whether physical or digital, while the one from France will only be released on Friday (maybe the film was released later over there?). For Frozen there was a Québec version of the soundtrack; if there isn't one for Moana we'll just buy the songs in English.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2016 11:48 by Columbob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2016 12:20 #239846 by Shellhead
I went to see Doctor Strange again, because a friend was interested in it. I already wanted to see it again, but got shot down by my gf. ("What's it called?" "Dr. Strange." "What? I don't think so.") Anyway, this is a movie that you need to see on as big a screen as possible. Many scenes present a visual feast, and my friend said that it was his new favorite Marvel movie and also the most spectacular-looking movie that he had seen. He said it was sort of like the Matrix, only starring Doctor House instead of Keanu Reeves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
05 Dec 2016 12:42 - 05 Dec 2016 12:42 #239849 by Colorcrayons
I agree that it needsnto be seen in the theater. Eggs Benedict is still a shite strange though.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2016 12:42 by Colorcrayons.

More
05 Dec 2016 13:48 #239863 by Black Barney

Columbob wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Wow, Moana was fantastic. Loved the music. Beautiful. Will write review later. Emily didn't like it :(

Also brought the family to see this on Saturday, and we all loved it. The 3 year-old didn't understand everything (why's the grandma blue?), but wanted to go back and see it on Sunday as we were listening to the songs on Youtube. The 6 year-old spotted the Sven cameo right away and gleefully pointed it out.

Just like Barnes, I got misty eyed in a few spots, I don't know what's happening to me.

oh my, "why's the grandma blue?" yikes, that's a pretty big question for a 3-year old. how did you answer it?? "by the way, your grandmas are both going to be blue pretty soon"

how about Jemaine Clement as the turtle?! That was so good (i really need to write the review so we can talk about it in that thread instead).

So you AND Barnes got misty eyed and aren't able to explain it? I'm SO GLAD you said that cuz twice in the movie, the tears came down for no reason at all and i panicked a bit that night thinking my mental health might be on the rocks cuz of an upcoming custody trial. i was thinking it was affecting me in weird ways like this so i was complaining about it to the g/f. But if you guys both cried too, then it's totally the movie and i'm not falling apart (or not as much as I was worried i was). ok whew.

More
05 Dec 2016 15:14 - 05 Dec 2016 15:15 #239873 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: oh my, "why's the grandma blue?" yikes, that's a pretty big question for a 3-year old. how did you answer it?? "by the way, your grandmas are both going to be blue pretty soon"

Hah, she was sitting with her Mom, and the middle of the movie wasn't quite the place for conversation. She's seen "death" on screen (in Narnia for instance), and knows that our cats will die at some point when she'll be bigger, but when her Mom pointed out that real people also die, her stricken expression and tearful look made her drop that line of thought for now.

BTW, it's a crab, not a turtle!
Last edit: 05 Dec 2016 15:15 by Columbob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
05 Dec 2016 15:45 #239878 by Black Barney
ah dammit. the woman in the office in front of me is wearing a big turtleneck sweater so i was distracted

More
06 Dec 2016 13:52 #239947 by Grudunza
Just watched Krisha, which is on Amazon Prime now. Wow. It's a stunner. Brilliantly shot and portrayed. Wish I'd have seen this before being with my family on Thanksgiving, as I'd have appreciated them even more.

But seriously, it is difficult and draining, but also very insightful about family, addiction and forgiveness (and lack thereof). There's more I'd like to say, but don't want to spoil anything.

The basic premise is that a woman who has some unknown issues with her extended family is invited to Thanksgiving, and hilarity ensues. No, not really... quite the opposite. And that could normally be considered a spoiler except that the very first shot of the film, showing Krisha just staring at the camera for a good little while, should tell you a lot about what to expect. Chilling.

Anybody else see this? If not, be ready to chase it with the Rudolph special or something otherwise breezy, but by all means, give it a spin.

More
06 Dec 2016 16:10 #239958 by Bull Nakano
I saw Repo Man for the first time last week. I always avoided it because the way I've heard folks talk about it, it sounded like a movie about being some rude punk in the 80's but it was way better (as i bet you all know).

This coming week the theatre by my house is doing a miyazaki week, I'm getting a week pass so I can see all four (Castle in the Sky, Ponyo, Moving Castle, Delivery Service) because I've never seen any of them. looking forward to that.

More
06 Dec 2016 16:43 #239966 by ChristopherMD

Bull Nakano wrote: ).

This coming week the theatre by my house is doing a miyazaki week, I'm getting a week pass so I can see all four (Castle in the Sky, Ponyo, Moving Castle, Delivery Service) because I've never seen any of them. looking forward to that.

I think Kiki's might be in my top 5 Miyazaki. None of the others there.

More
06 Dec 2016 17:41 #239971 by Michael Barnes
Princess Mononoke is the best. But Kiki is my favorite. It's a really, really special movie. I have a Kiki tattoo, if that tells you anything. There is one moment that I won't spoil- and it is literally just a moment- that I think is about as profound a statement about being a parent as has ever been made by anyone anywhere. There are few films as purely devoted to goodness and light as that one is. It is proof positive that everything that entertains us doesn't have to be dark, stupid, violent, crude, serious or negative. It's a film of simple pleasures, kindness and gentleness.

Ponyo, on the other hand, is the "bad" MIyazaki film. He made it toward the end of his first retirement and you can tell that he just really didn't give a shit about it. And I bet he would be the first to tell you that he didn't.

Howl's is somewhat underrated- it's a very strange, sometimes awkward film but it's also rich with magic and it touches a lot of the key Miyazaki ideas.

Castle in the Sky is really great, it's actually my son's favorite of them all. Lots of fun in that one, much more of an adventure story than the others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Bull Nakano

More
06 Dec 2016 19:14 #239985 by Black Barney
Why aren't we talking about Spirited Away ? That's my favorite

More
07 Dec 2016 11:03 #240032 by Columbob
Talk away!

I've only seen a handful (Mononoké multiple times, Spirited, Howl's and Porco Rosso) and after a quick check on Amazon, the BRs aren't so expensive as I remember these movies to be; my girls would probably enjoy them. My GF warned me away from Grave of the Fireflies though - she's still mad at me 12+ years later that I made her watch that (recommended by a friend!).

More
08 Dec 2016 10:58 #240129 by Egg Shen
I've seen Doctor Strange and found it to be pretty damn awesome. Despite some minor faults I think it's still one of the better things to come out of the MCU. I thought Cumberbatch was excellent in the role. When it comes to these films I'm actually way more interested in the smaller, quirkier, characters that are being brought to the big screen than say...Spiderman.

If you're interested in some in depth thoughts, head on over to the Wolfman's Lounge Website where I have a head to head review with Josh Look.

wolfmanslounge.com/2016/12/07/wolfmans-l...w-of-doctor-strange/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
08 Dec 2016 15:17 #240147 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: Why aren't we talking about Spirited Away ? That's my favorite

TROOF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Dec 2016 09:41 #240216 by Grudunza
Manchester by the Sea. Yeah Barney, you'll dig this. It's sad, slow, deeply tragic, poignant, sweet, real. Like the third act of Moonlight, I felt it didn't always give me enough for its pacing. But there are some powerful moments throughout. And a decent amount of slight/light humor, which I didn't expect, but which is needed. Overall, a good film about rebuilding and reconnecting after tragedy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds