October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
12 Jan 2017 17:06 #242326 by Space Ghost
Hacksaw Ridge was pretty great, Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2017 17:08 #242327 by Black Barney
i don't mind his movies, i just mind him.

More
12 Jan 2017 17:24 #242329 by SebastianBludd

Black Barney wrote: Hey did anyone see THE VISIT from last year? I hear it's M. Night Shaymanalan's first decent movie in... 15 years?? LOL. I think Signs was his last good one.

I watched it last October and it wasn't bad. In retrospect (i.e., after knowing the twist) it's too long for what it is and you could trim it down and make it into a top-tier episode of Tales from the Crypt, no problem. That being said, the tension and creepiness in some scenes was very effective and well done. But for me it's a one-and-done situation and I probably won't watch it again unless I'm with someone who's never seen it and I want to see their reactions to the film.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

More
12 Jan 2017 17:35 #242330 by Hex Sinister

Black Barney wrote: Signs is after Unbreakable. But yeah, i know some people don't like that movie. I thought it was pretty scary and fun.

He ruined (Signs) at the end of the film. Most nonsensical ending EVER. Baking flour being toxic to the aliens would have made more sense. I liked the quiet tone of it overall though.

Sing Street was pretty good though. Reminded me of my youth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons, Vlad

More
12 Jan 2017 17:36 #242331 by Vlad
The Visit is not a movie to watch twice, but I really liked it. I think it's the best N.S. movie since The 6th Sense, actually (I don't hate Signs either).
Kids are great, and as Sebastian says, there're some very creepy scenes. I figured it out very soon, too, but it didn't detract at all from enjoyment. I don't remember it being too long, but don't trust me on this one.

More
12 Jan 2017 17:42 #242332 by Vlad

Hex Sinister wrote: Sing Street was pretty good though. Reminded me of my youth.

Sing Street is kind of like Total Recall. It also reminded me of my teens, but added things that I didn't have (girlfriend, talent, having accomplished something, triumph over authority) and made me believe I actually did experience them. It is like a flashback power fantasy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Gregarius, Nodens

More
12 Jan 2017 17:48 #242334 by Hex Sinister
We were going to play "A Forest" at my high school but pulled the plug on rehearsals after like two weeks. Because suckage.

More
12 Jan 2017 17:49 #242335 by Hex Sinister
I looked good in lipstick though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
13 Jan 2017 03:45 - 13 Jan 2017 03:46 #242342 by Grudunza
Unbreakable is his best, I think. That after Sixth Sense was an amazing 1-2 punch. I actually like The Village better than Signs, but only after seeing The Village again last year on Netflix without remembering how disappointing it seemed when it came out. But I think part of that was an expectation of it being a horror film, when it was more of a drama. Even knowing what would happen, it played much better seeing it for its social/religious commentary.

Everything was crap after that, though, until The Visit, which is indeed pretty good. M. Knight has a good knack for character moments and directing some good performances. I'm glad he's back in the good graces of the cinema. I'll check out his new one next week.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2017 03:46 by Grudunza.

More
13 Jan 2017 08:32 #242348 by Black Barney
Lady in the Water is my guilty pleasure.

Unbreakable and Sixth Sense were both incredible the first times through. Village was the first disappointment and it just got worse from there. Last Airbender and the Happening are two of the worst movies I've ever seen

More
13 Jan 2017 10:18 #242351 by Erik Twice
Saw Tron: Legacy. Amazing soundtrack, great art direction, but the plot is a bore. It really needs an injection of fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
13 Jan 2017 11:27 #242360 by ChristopherMD

Erik Twice wrote: Saw Tron: Legacy. Amazing soundtrack, great art direction, but the plot is a bore. It really needs an injection of fun.

That exact description also fits Oblivion, another of the director's movies. Its like that one hurdle that if he can get over it his movies will be great.

More
13 Jan 2017 11:29 #242362 by Shellhead

Vlad wrote:

Hex Sinister wrote: Sing Street was pretty good though. Reminded me of my youth.

Sing Street is kind of like Total Recall. It also reminded me of my teens, but added things that I didn't have (girlfriend, talent, having accomplished something, triumph over authority) and made me believe I actually did experience them. It is like a flashback power fantasy.

This is how I feel about Donnie Darko.

More
13 Jan 2017 14:59 #242375 by RobertB
Hex Sinister wrote:

He ruined (Signs) at the end of the film. Most nonsensical ending EVER. Baking flour being toxic to the aliens would have made more sense. I liked the quiet tone of it overall though.

I remember thinking, "This movie is crawling along; there better be an awesome ending." Turns out it wasn't.

More
13 Jan 2017 15:51 - 13 Jan 2017 15:51 #242380 by Shellhead
I watched What We Do in the Shadows the other night. Like most fake documentaries, it was mildly funny. It's probably a limitation of the genre, because it can only be so funny without breaking up the feel of being a documentary. I expected this to remind me a lot of my larp phase, but only the confrontation with The Beast was like that.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2017 15:51 by Shellhead. Reason: boldface

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds