October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
30 Jan 2017 15:00 #243268 by Black Barney
Yeah Nightcrawler is great (that climax scene in the restaurant is insane). I hate Memento.

The only good Resident Evil is the first one. The zombie reveal is really well done. The hive was really creepy and the laser hallway was fantastic. Michelle Rodriguez is so bad ass in that one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2017 10:44 #243288 by Gregarius
I loved Nightcrawler, too. Didn't we talk about it here already? No matter. Very well-made film.

I watched Selma last night. That's another well-made film. It was very powerful and depressing. It's hard to believe it was 50+ years ago. I can't tell if that's a long time or a short time. It feels like we've come so far in some ways, but haven't budged an inch in others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Black Barney

More
31 Jan 2017 10:58 #243292 by jeb

Black Barney wrote: Yeah Nightcrawler is great (that climax scene in the restaurant is insane). I hate Memento.

I want to simultaneously embrace you and punch your dumb face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Feb 2017 13:39 #243431 by Hex Sinister
Breaking News: Denis Villeneuve Dune series project confirmed by B. Herbert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Black Barney

More
02 Feb 2017 13:47 #243432 by Shellhead
Minority Report is an odd movie. The Hollywood pitch for it was probably "Spielberg directs Blade Runner/The Fugitive." There is a decent amount of action and some neat effects. But the movie is overly ambitious, with too many plot points landing without impact due to merely adequate acting. The essence of the original story by Philip K. Dick is reasonably intact, and there are certainly some interesting ideas. In the end, I liked Minority Report but didn't love it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
02 Feb 2017 13:54 #243435 by Hex Sinister
It plays out like a video game. Save your progress, die a few times, change tactics then press X, X, Y, B, A in a timely fashion and you can get to the next save point.

More
02 Feb 2017 14:03 #243436 by Shellhead

Hex Sinister wrote: It plays out like a video game. Save your progress, die a few times, change tactics then press X, X, Y, B, A in a timely fashion and you can get to the next save point.

I could see that. But then there's this weird stretch in the middle of the movie that zeroes in on Philip K. Dick's fixation on the horrifying vulnerability of eyes. It's borderline funny though more creepy than funny.

More
02 Feb 2017 14:33 #243437 by jeb

Shellhead wrote: I could see that. But then there's this weird stretch in the middle of the movie that zeroes in on Philip K. Dick's fixation on the horrifying vulnerability of eyes. It's borderline funny though more creepy than funny.

Ah yes, a chance ot show one of the best GIFs ever made... Minority Kart.

I like MINORITY REPORT. It's akin "Intro To PKD" at your local community college.

More
02 Feb 2017 15:38 #243442 by Hex Sinister
Sorry, I got that one confused with Edge of Tomorrow which is what I was referring to. My bad, I get those titles mixed up in my head all the time.

More
02 Feb 2017 17:56 #243447 by Black Barney
yeah, i was gonna say something. "i think dummy is mixing up Edge of Tomorrow"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
02 Feb 2017 22:14 #243455 by Hex Sinister

Black Barney wrote: yeah, i was gonna say something. "i think dummy is mixing up Edge of Tomorrow"

Yeah, yeah, is Hidden Fences out on DVD yet?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Feb 2017 13:41 #243497 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I saw La La Land last night with the wife and we both hated it. We generally are both fans of musicals, so are predisposed to liking a film like that, but the bare minimum I demand of a musical is 2 memorable songs and that didn't even have one. It was dull, and all the music was either completely forgettable or irritating. When Keith tells Sebastian that his music is terrible and no-one likes it, I found myself nodding in agreement, as only when Keith was playing was anything half decent appearing musically. At one point the guy in front of me pulled out his phone to look at something, and I found myself curious as to what he was doing and wasn't at all annoyed as I would be normally in that situation.

It reminded me of the two Sondheim musicals I have seen (A Little Night Music and Sweeney Todd), as I saw no value in them musically either and was bewildered as to why he is regarded as so good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Rafael Silva, Vlad

More
04 Feb 2017 13:59 - 04 Feb 2017 14:07 #243498 by Grudunza
City of Stars and Fools Who Dream aren't memorable? I was humming them on the way out, for sure. And the others like Waste of a Lovely Night and the opening number are at least charming in the moment.

But when you say that you didn't like Sweeney Todd, well, then you might just be on a different wavelength than I. Sondheim is definitely better with lyrics than memorable music, so things like Gypsy and West Side Story, where he just wrote the words, are more universal. But his songs are fitting for the moment and the shows and narrative, and some are memorable-ish. Sweeney has a few great ones, like Worst Pies in London and A Little Priest. I don't expect "take home" numbers with Sondheim, but his shows still work for me, generally.

What musicals do you like?
Last edit: 04 Feb 2017 14:07 by Grudunza.

More
04 Feb 2017 14:14 - 04 Feb 2017 14:21 #243499 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Grudunza wrote: City of Stars and Fools Who Dream aren't memorable? I was humming them on the way out, for sure. And the others like Waste of a Lovely Night and the opening number are at least charming in the moment.

But when you say that you didn't like Sweeney Todd, well, then I know that you are just on a different wavelength than I.

What musicals do you like?

Having a quick glance at our movie collection there are quite a few musicals I have seen 20+ times: Moulin Rouge, Rocky Horror, Blues Brothers, The Committments, Singing in the Rain, Man of La Mancha, Bob Roberts, The Court Jester, Footloose, Grease, Little Shop of Horrors, Mary Poppins, Spinal Tap, A Mighty Wind, Pirates of Penzance, Scrooge, Willy Wonka

La La Land is like the Broadway Melody in Singing in the Rain stretched out over an entire movie, and we fast forward through that more often than sitting through it, but I know there are many people who love that. I really liked Whiplash, so it is not as though I can't appreciate a more dramatic musical. As I said it reminds me of the Sondheim musicals I have seen which I hated, but tend to see nothing but praise for.

Ever since I saw Sing Street a month ago, I have trouble keeping the songs out of my head and it is probably my number 2 movie for 2016 after Rogue One, and may pass it in a few years. I do generally like musicals, but I must like the music in them, and I hated the music in La La Land.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2017 14:21 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
04 Feb 2017 15:06 #243500 by Grudunza
Yeah, I really like or love most of those you listed. I have Sing Street as my #1 for last year, but La La close at #3. I'm guessing that didn't make your top 30. :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.222 seconds