October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
13 Feb 2017 11:47 #243854 by RobertB
I thought the first Jack Reacher movie was okay. Even though the 6'5" Jack Reacher is played by the 4' 11" Tom Cruise, it's still not a bad movie. However, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back was not nearly as good. In the first one they stayed pretty close to the novel, but in this movie they changed it up a bit, for the worse. Characters were running around doing things that make no sense, to follow a plot that made no sense. Cobie Smolders and Tom Cruise have zero charisma. It was just a disappointing movie all the way around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2017 11:51 #243855 by Black Barney
yeah the first one wasn't that bad. i enjoyed much of it. Especially that German documentary guy. Plus, I like the idea that if you want to secretly kill one person, make sure you kill another 5-6 random people around them so no one will link it to you.

Anyway seen John Wick 2 yet? I hear it's even better than the first one (which i LOVED).

More
13 Feb 2017 21:53 #243895 by hotseatgames
Just got out of John Wick Chapter 2. SEE IT NOW.

It is everything you want it to be, and then some.

More
13 Feb 2017 22:16 #243897 by jeb
Why isn't JOHN WICK on Netflix or Amazon Prime? I've had it on my Watchlist on those sites for a while with no hits. Same goes for LOOPER. Some films get stuck in some weird rights/$$$ limbo and never show up.

More
14 Feb 2017 09:11 #243909 by Columbob
I watched John Wick on TV last weekend, I thought it was pretty shite. Dumb revenge story (it doesn't get any dumber than this movie), graphically ultra-violent, Keanu, protagonist who takes down dozens of minions before ultimately getting to their boss, yada yada. It didn't do anything for me (or anything new for that matter), and I don't understand its success.

More
14 Feb 2017 09:45 #243911 by Black Barney
because of all the revenge action movies, it's one of the best done (world-building and such). It's not 5 stars or anything, but it's very very good. The new one is supposed to be much more violent so make sure you skip that one if you have trouble with that.

More
14 Feb 2017 10:23 #243914 by Columbob
I did like the hotel bit.

More
14 Feb 2017 11:32 #243926 by Varys

Columbob wrote: I watched John Wick on TV last weekend, I thought it was pretty shite. Dumb revenge story (it doesn't get any dumber than this movie), graphically ultra-violent, Keanu, protagonist who takes down dozens of minions before ultimately getting to their boss, yada yada. It didn't do anything for me (or anything new for that matter), and I don't understand its success.

I thought John Wick was solid. I think it helped itself tremendously by having some cool action sequences that weren't ruined by shitty shaky cam shots. I admit there were at least a couple of times where I was baffled why they didn't just kill Wick.
Warning: Spoiler!

More
14 Feb 2017 11:40 #243927 by Columbob

Varys wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!

Haha yeah, but IIRC it was marked to be put down or something, that red label on its info sheet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys

More
14 Feb 2017 16:42 #243958 by RobertB
If you're up for a little cinematic ultraviolence, you can do far worse than John Wick.

For instance, you could be watching Predators. It might just be me, but Adrian Brody as a badass is just too miscast to watch. I sat there and made fun of the movie until my wife and daughter told me to shut up. Like I said, it could very well be my take on a perfectly serviceable actor.

More
14 Feb 2017 16:58 #243960 by hotseatgames
Predators was awful.

Awful.

More
14 Feb 2017 18:34 #243967 by Shellhead
I found Predators to be a perfect seven on my ten-point scale. A little bit worse, and I would never watch it again. A little bit better, and I might feel like watching it again once every decade or so. Brody is a good actor but definitely miscast in Predators, and yet I still think that he sort of pulls it off. There is a sufficient amount of action and and okay amount of tough guy dialogue, with a few moderately entertaining plot twists.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
14 Feb 2017 23:23 #243976 by Cranberries
I just got done watching a documentary about nineteenth-century whaling called "Into the Deep" by the American Experience at PBS. There are a lot of parallels between those ships, that chew up crew and spit out money, and silicon valley startups. They also talked about the Essex, the inspiration for Moby Dick. I have to finish like 30 chapters for class tomorrow. Good night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
16 Feb 2017 14:14 #244050 by Colorcrayons
Gf and I watched Frogs from 1972 last night. Staring Sam Elliot and Joan van Ark. Its the kind of movie that should be front and center.on MST3K. It's an eco-horror movie. Dumb as hell. How dumb? Well, for a movie named "Frogs", you'd expect at least one frog to be the antagonist. But no, even butterflies are antagonists. Frogs are just voyeurs throughout the entire film.
The acting is bad more often than not, though Sam Elliot wasn't horrible. The pacing is a snoozefest and the cinematography is pointless.
It is in fact, one if the worst movies imaginable. This is a warning, and not an invitation for the reader to be challenged to witness how bad it is.

More
16 Feb 2017 14:36 #244051 by Black Barney
I saw FROGS about 20 years ago. There was a time that awful horror movies would play SUPER late at night on channel CFCF-12 and I wouldn't be up at 2-3am to watch them so I'd set them to tape on my VCR and watch them at my leisure. The quality of taping these things on a VCR (and the fact that I was continuously overwriting what was on the tape) made the image really bad, which I think added a TON to these movies. I remember FROGS being bad, but there was a scene where some poor soul finds himself under an Elm or a Weeping Willow tree or something and there's TONS of spiders and webs that just start falling on him. Our Barney has a nice case of arachophobia and this scene FREAKED me out and was totally out of place with the rest of the movie cuz nothing else was scary at all.

So even 20 years out , i still remember that spider scene of that poor guy and I think i'm not well when I'm under those kinds of trees still to this day.

Because that scene scared me i can't think of this as one of the worst of all time. That honour, for me, still belongs to the remake of The Fog. Worst movie of all time, says I.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.587 seconds