October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
16 Feb 2017 15:02 #244054 by Colorcrayons
Yeah, I felt sorry for the guy since there were people off screen just tossing spiders in his mouth over and over again. But the spiders did nothing other than "be on him", while the Spanish moss strangled his retarded ass. Along with the occasional poor directing choice to show close ups of tarantula fangs before cutting back to more insidious Spanish moss.

I haven't seen the fog remake. I didn't really like the original when I was a kid, so felt no need to see a remake that was likely worse than the original.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2017 16:02 #244063 by Black Barney
i don't know what the statute of limitations is for a 1972 movie, but yeah, um.... spoiler?

lol, what the heck is a scorpion doing there at the very end? Are they indigenous to that region?

the soundtrack is compelling.

also, safety first with shotguns kids.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
17 Feb 2017 08:27 #244086 by stoic

More
18 Feb 2017 02:45 #244144 by Vlad
My daughter (2,5) is watching Frozen at least one time a day. I had forgotten how good that movie was. I remember back in the day it was criticized for not having a good villain, but in my opinion, Hans is a great bad guy. You just don't expect him to be, and there are almost no clues - he behaves exactly like a typical big-eyed naive and kinda bland Disney hero. And then becomes my favorite Hans-to-hate after Colonel Landa and Alan Rickman's (RIP) Gruber...

More
18 Feb 2017 18:08 #244169 by Cranberries

Varys wrote:

Columbob wrote: I watched John Wick on TV last weekend, I thought it was pretty ****e. Dumb revenge story (it doesn't get any dumber than this movie), graphically ultra-violent, Keanu, protagonist who takes down dozens of minions before ultimately getting to their boss, yada yada. It didn't do anything for me (or anything new for that matter), and I don't understand its success.

I thought John Wick was solid. I think it helped itself tremendously by having some cool action sequences that weren't ruined by ****ty shaky cam shots. I admit there were at least a couple of times where I was baffled why they didn't just kill Wick.
Warning: Spoiler!

This article talks about Keanu's martial arts lineage and the decision to avoid all of the shaky cam/fast cutting that is basically cheating.

www.vulture.com/2017/02/keanu-reeves-is-...est-action-star.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
19 Feb 2017 05:32 #244178 by Thrun
Watched Superman (the originals) with my 6 year old. he loved them. He's quite into super heroes at the minute, and plays the LEGO WiiU games a lot. He keeps seeing panels with the marvel stuff on Netflix and doesnt understand why he cant Watch them. Its a shame they tried to "darken" "realisticify" what should be basically inner Child Movies so that they're not so great with younger kids, who would be most excited to see them. I watched Ant Man to check if it would be OK. Nope. Iron Man. Nope. I did let him Watch the Silver Surfer Movie. I don't really know who they are appealing to by making the violence too "real". These films are not designed to win Oscars, just be dumb escapism. It was remarkable to me how much he enjoyed the original superman in all its campness but without the need for excessive gun shooting and stuff. The original 1960s batman was fantastic. I just wish there was a broader range of these kinds of Movies so you could sit and let your kids see Iron Man flying and having laser Eyes without having terrorists holding guns to peoples heads and threatening real Life executions in front of kids. Who the fuck needs that. same with Ant man and the stupid bad guy shooting shit. Just show the dude in the fucking ant suit running round and having fun for Christs sake /rant
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
19 Feb 2017 11:00 #244180 by Black Barney
Superman 3 scared the hell out of me as a kid. Heck, even Superman 2 when the chick kills the NASA astronaut by tearing off his badge on the moon (these guys were my heroes as a kid ).

Those movies weren't all smiles and sunshine for me as a young boy. I think Iron Man is just fine. You don't feel the violence like you do in those Superman movies, in my opinion.

More
19 Feb 2017 14:53 #244181 by SebastianBludd
That village scene in Iron Man alone probably disqualifies it as appropriate viewing for a 6 year-old, IMO. Hell, you could probably skip right to Iron Man 2. Everybody likes to shit on that movie but it's not all that bad: Sam Rockwell is a lot of fun and the last fight is Iron Man and War Machine destroying a bunch of robots rather than people (well, other than Whiplash, that is).

But I think I'd let my kids watch anything in any of the Iron Man movies over the scene in Superman 3 where the woman gets turned into a cyborg. Yeesh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Feb 2017 22:28 #244191 by hotseatgames
I watched Green Room, in which a punk band finds themselves under siege by a group of neo-nazis led by Patrick Stewart. Based on some comments here, I was expecting over the top gore, but there was really only a scene or two that were overly gross. As for the movie... eh. I will say that it kept you guessing, to a degree.

More
20 Feb 2017 02:24 #244196 by Thrun
yes there is a world of difference between the violence in Superman and eg the Iron Man village scene. But its not just that its the overall tone (a more obvious difference is the original Batman movie, with all the superimposed KerPow and slapstick fighting), they are worlds apart and I really wonder why sometimes. It's probably just like the issue with a lot of boardgames, it gets spoiled by having to cater to the man child audience instead of just being unashamed in being what it is, escapist adventure that children can enjoy. Thanks for the tip on Iron Man 2, I will check it out. (also the heads up on S3, I dont remember any of that to be honest).

More
20 Feb 2017 13:23 #244235 by Black Barney
Both Superman 2 and 3 have some rough scenes. I remember being scared a bunch by both. Especially the killer machine in 3

More
23 Feb 2017 09:18 #244396 by Michael Barnes
I watched half of Arrival last night. It's like Contact all over again...

So far, I am thinking that the whole "human emotions" angle has tricked people into thinking this is a good movie. The screenplay is HORRIBLE! It's full of illogical things:

- She gets to school and walks by a giant TV that everyone in a common area is gathered around- clearly a major event is going on. We even hear the newscasters talking about the alien ships. Yet she goes on into class and says "where is everybody" and who the hell are these 4-5 students that showed up and need to be called on the cellphone to be notified that "hey, aliens have landed"

- the next day, she drives all the way to school- presumably with no cars anywhere on the road because no one would be out, it would be like those days after 9/11, goes into the classroom after we see that she is the only person on campus...and she goes into the classroom and looks around like "huh, nobody is here". Was there not a faculty memo that went out saying "hey, aliens have landed, maybe don't come in tomorrow"

- Somehow Forrest Whittaker knows that she is the only person stupid/oblivious enough to go into work so he turns up on her office...I guess all of the doors were left unlocked in the school. He plays her a tape of a low growl and demands she translate it based on the fact that she translated Farsi in the past. A low growl.

- Forrest Whittaker turns out to be one of the worst characters I think I've ever seen...it is almost as if he is off in crazy land, making impossible demands, saying all kinds of military sounding stuff, and generally acting like a clueless idiot.

- big build up to seeing the aliens...and they turn out to be space octopuses. Wow, really? I'd rather have not seen them at all.

Anyway, so far this movie is trash and my heartstrings were not tugged by seeing the little girl playing cowboy die of cancer like it was the offscreen conclusion of a big pharma TV commercial. Neither that, nor however it is that the little girl inevitably comes back or is somehow a part of the alien story did not trick me into thinking that this was Serious, Sophisticated SF for Adults. I'll probably finish watching it tonight but I am going to have to watch Chronicles of Riddick or something honest like that afterward.

More
23 Feb 2017 10:53 #244408 by Gregarius
All of your responses are invalid until you've seen the whole movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
23 Feb 2017 11:23 #244409 by Michael Barnes
So there is a novely reveal that explains why the rest of the movie sucks?

More
23 Feb 2017 11:39 #244410 by Michael Barnes
So there is a novely reveal that explains why the rest of the movie sucks?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.621 seconds