October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
23 Feb 2017 17:55 #244440 by Michael Barnes
Well, we can all agree on that scene in Heat...I remember back in the 1990s that scene was ALWAYS on at the Laserdisc store. Yes, the Laserdisc store. It was like their big demo thing.

Probably the only Hollywood film to ever feature an Einsturzende Neubauten song in it too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2017 18:19 #244442 by Vlad

quozl wrote: LOTR was fun?

Good One. But, compared to Arrival, it kinda was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Colorcrayons

More
23 Feb 2017 18:39 #244443 by Shellhead
I haven't watched Heat in a many, many years. But I remember being disappointed by it. Pacino and De Niro meet up in a gangster movie... and it's just okay and not at all amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
23 Feb 2017 19:06 #244444 by Vlad
I was pretty disappointed when I first watched it. But then, one way or the other, Heat kept popping up here and there (like George Costanza wooing a woman) and I finally had to admit to myself that I quite liked it despite the fact that it was not the movie I wanted it to be.
It has a solid script, well-thought out characters played by good actors, great cinematography and two breathtaking action scenes. The only real issue I have with it today is that it is way too long, feels like an overindulgent director cut.

More
24 Feb 2017 09:22 #244460 by Colorcrayons
I watched Gantz: O last night.

Its not quite as gorey as the anime from a decade ago, but it was a fun action romp.

The anime was... novel. I haven't seen a premise like it before so at least slightly original with a dark humor quality to it. The violence in it was almost shocking though. It had a sense of dread hopelessness you'd have while watching the cube for reasons I can't put my finger on.

Anyways, its out on Netflix right now, and I recommend it.

More
24 Feb 2017 10:05 #244475 by hotseatgames
I saw Enemy. That was a weird, strange movie. But Gylenhaal is fantastic, as always. I liked Prisoners better. I need to see Sicario.

Heat... this movie does lope along, but it takes its time and develops characters. There is some great stuff in it, but if you expect non-stop action, you will be disappointed.

More
24 Feb 2017 10:40 #244479 by Michael Barnes
OK, I finished Arrival. 2.5 out of 5.

Here's the thing. The core SF concept of the film,
Warning: Spoiler!
, and NOT "OMG Space aliens!"...is BRILLIANT. But I kind of had a feeling it was going in that direction when the characters started talking about
. I really loved that, and I thought it was handled really well and explained really well. I also really liked how it
. That little bit right there gave the film a scope it didn't previously had, it really opened it up and THERE was the sense of wonder it had been missing.

However, I still don't think it was a very good movie. Good ideas don't always make for good movies, and here I just did not feel any connection to the characters or events in the story. It was all very remote, and it was also plagued with contrivances like what I listed above- things that just weren't grounded in logic or stylistic context. The whole twist where we find out that
was a great idea, but it felt cheap- it undermined the film's attempt at establishing an emotional core in the first 10 minutes. I am really not a big fan of the "everything you thought you knew was wrong" plot twist where everything is upended but there is no evidence prior to support the twist. I think this is very different than the twists in, say, The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable where you can look back through the film and see that it was all plain as day- you were just missing a key piece of information that the characters may not have had.

But whatever, it's not a terrible movie overall, worth a look because of the concept. Not sure why it's best picture-worthy, but you could say that about a lot of the picks.k
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Grudunza, Black Barney, Columbob, Gregarius, Vlad

More
24 Feb 2017 10:50 #244483 by charlest

hotseatgames wrote: I saw Enemy. That was a weird, strange movie. But Gylenhaal is fantastic, as always. I liked Prisoners better. I need to see Sicario.

Heat... this movie does lope along, but it takes its time and develops characters. There is some great stuff in it, but if you expect non-stop action, you will be disappointed.

Enemy was the type of movie I had to immediately go to the internet for and indulge in the theorizing of what was going on. I love that type of movie. There's a great video on youtube explaining much of it actually that's very interesting.

I did enjoy Prisoners but it left me feeling queasy and uncomfortable.

More
24 Feb 2017 12:23 #244500 by Space Ghost
My favorite part of Heat might be when Pacino kicks the TV out of his car. Such an honest moment in those circumstances and hilarious to boot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
24 Feb 2017 12:32 #244501 by Black Barney
it's pretty cool that a sci-fi pic gets a Best Picture nomination. It has no chance of winning but it's still pretty cool. And yeah, i think it's one of the best ten movies of the year so I'm really happy and supportive of it getting a best picture nom.

More
24 Feb 2017 14:27 #244504 by hotseatgames

Space Ghost wrote: My favorite part of Heat might be when Pacino kicks the TV out of his car. Such an honest moment in those circumstances and hilarious to boot.

That's a great moment. My favorite moment is right here...

The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
24 Feb 2017 14:37 #244505 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Best moment in Heat is Pacino's wife saying "And now I have to demean myself with Ralph just to get closure with you" with Ralph sitting right there in front of her. So fucking cold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, hotseatgames

More
24 Feb 2017 15:43 #244507 by Vlad
Every secondary character in Heat has at least one or two minutes more of screen time than necessary. Everyone, but poor Ralph. I feel like he deserved more, maybe a spin-off movie of his own.

More
24 Feb 2017 15:57 #244508 by Black Barney
his wife is right though. That'll certainly provide closure.

More
24 Feb 2017 17:12 #244511 by Vlad
Moana came out on apple 48 hrs. ago, guess how many times my kids have seen it.
I actually liked it more than the first time around. For some reason, my initial impression was that Moana was like a tropical spin-off on Frozen. but whatever, I was wrong.
Things I liked, in the order I liked them:
- water/ocean effects are the best I've ever seen. EVER!
- You're welcome.
- character designs of Moana/Mauri. they seem way more lifelike/dynamic than Frozen gang (despite relatively little time diffrence)
- Fury Road spoof/homage
- Relationship between Moana&Mauri. I find it really cool that it doesn't fall into the romantic, nor daughter/surrogate-dad kind of stuff. It all feel pretty authentic. I kinda wish Mauri was meaner in the end, he would have been more memorable as a real asshole than bad cop to good Moana. But I could be wrong here.

The chicken was OK, I guess, but maybe a little bit too tiring. Of course, Disney trademark and all.

I want to play Zelda the Windwalker now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.635 seconds