October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
24 Feb 2017 17:24 #244512 by Black Barney
It's Wind Waker you IDIOT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2017 17:39 #244513 by Vlad
That's too bad, because I remember a lot more walking than waking
But thanks, Barney, you're gentleman and a scholar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Feb 2017 20:29 #244518 by hotseatgames

Vlad wrote: I want to play Zelda the Windwalker now.

Breasts of the Wild looks awesome

More
25 Feb 2017 05:30 #244524 by stoic
I watched Green Room with headliner Patrick Stewart. I had read about its buzz and was expecting a lot more. It's about a punk rock band that takes a gig in a remote neo-nazi-skinhead bar. It's said to be a horror flick. But, I found the movie slow to develop and I think that the director failed to buildup any real tension or horror that connected with the audience. I did like the actress who played the girl skinhead. 2/4 stars.

More
25 Feb 2017 12:39 #244526 by Black Barney
Going to take Emily to Ballerina in 15 minutes. I think it's called Leap in the States, I'll let you know how it goes...

More
25 Feb 2017 21:35 #244531 by Shellhead
Finally got around to seeing Breaker Morant. Fine movie, and best of a small sub-genre that I call military tribunal movies. Takes place in 1901, late in the Boer War, in South Africa. The movie addresses some of the international politics surrounding the war, and also grapples with ethical questions of how war should be conducted when fighting guerillas. Features Edward Woodward (of the Equalizer) and Bryan Brown, though Jack Thompson is riveting in the courtroom scenes. A Few Good Men may have had a great scene with Jack Nicholson, but it pales in comparison to Breaker Morant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
26 Feb 2017 19:39 #244562 by Vlad
Finally saw Lego Batman. It is pretty clever and funny, but not nearly as memorable as Lego Movie. Like, one hour later, I virtually cannot remember anything about it except for the microwave scene. I am not sure I am up to Lego-film as a cinematic genre, but I guess by this point it is inevitable.

More
26 Feb 2017 21:35 #244572 by Gary Sax
Forgot to post in here that I saw Clockwork Orange this week. I enjoyed it, it certainly is iconic. It's slow of course, but I think still relevant.

I must say the version I was watching made a lot of difference, don't know if it was a remaster, but the color was really out of this world and popping off the screen. If you know this movie, you know that it is riotously colorful in parts---something that isn't so clear when you're watching a dingy, beat-up old film version.

More
26 Feb 2017 22:26 #244575 by Shellhead
Sequels nearly always fall short of the original, and this is even more true with horror movies. That said, The Descent Part 2 was a pretty respectable sequel. It picks up almost immediately from where the first one left off, assuming that you saw the version shown in the U.S. (The non-U.S. ending was considerably darker and left no room for a sequel.) Anyway, Part 2 quickly sets up the action with the traumatized and amnesiac survivor of the first movie reluctantly brought back underground as part of a rescue mission for the other missing women. The visual style and tone of this sequel is completely in line with the original, as the editor of the first one became director of this installment. There are a couple of nice surprises, and both the claustrophobia and gore are greater factors this time around. If you liked the original Descent, I guarantee that you will enjoy the sequel.

More
27 Feb 2017 11:34 - 27 Feb 2017 11:35 #244587 by Columbob

Vlad wrote: The chicken was OK, I guess, but maybe a little bit too tiring. Of course, Disney trademark and all.

And it strangely echoed the seagull from Finding Dory in avian dumbness.

Over here it's been Trolls with the youngest asking for it nearly on a daily basis.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2017 11:35 by Columbob.

More
27 Feb 2017 11:48 #244590 by Black Barney
oh no, poor you.

Take them to Lego Batman instead.

Heck, check out Ballerina which I just reviewed. It's certainly better and slightly more compelling than Trolls.

More
27 Feb 2017 12:06 #244592 by Columbob
We've been aware of Ballerina, she saw a commercial for it on TV and said she wanted to go see it. Maybe they'll go tomorrow - it's March Break already over here and grandma is watching the kids.

The funny thing with Trolls are the songs (which they've been listening to in the car since the movie came out), in the French version most are translated which annoyed the hell out of my GF when she brought the girls to see it in the theater - as a professional translator I find it interesting/funny to hear french versions of popular dance/pop songs.

But yeah as a movie there's not much there for grown ups - and it's pretty dark for kids what with the ogres eating/wanting to eat the trolls. Even my eldest only rewatched it once at school and just shows a passing interest now, but would rather do something else than sit and watch it.

More
27 Feb 2017 14:10 #244597 by Black Barney
Ballerina teaches some amazing work ethic too. My daughter took issue with how mean the rich girl was to her but seeing her identify bad acts so readily warms my heart :)

Also i think it's a French movie originally so seeing it in French should be really good if you want to do that.

More
27 Feb 2017 14:23 #244598 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: Sequels nearly always fall short of the original, and this is even more true with horror movies. That said, The Descent Part 2 was a pretty respectable sequel. It picks up almost immediately from where the first one left off, assuming that you saw the version shown in the U.S. (The non-U.S. ending was considerably darker and left no room for a sequel.) Anyway, Part 2 quickly sets up the action with the traumatized and amnesiac survivor of the first movie reluctantly brought back underground as part of a rescue mission for the other missing women. The visual style and tone of this sequel is completely in line with the original, as the editor of the first one became director of this installment. There are a couple of nice surprises, and both the claustrophobia and gore are greater factors this time around. If you liked the original Descent, I guarantee that you will enjoy the sequel.

When I heard they were making The Descent originally, I was pretty excited. However it was nothing like the book. In the source material, it is a much bigger scale exploration - there is an underground network of tunnels worldwide inhabited by a subterranean race; they send an expedition down to explore it, they start underneath South American and trek for months through tunnels and underground river systems that run under the Pacific all the way to Indonesia. Much grander in scale.

More
27 Feb 2017 14:36 #244600 by Vlad
This sounds very cool, but nothing like the movie.
I only watched the original, which was competent but nothing to go crazy for about - maybe kind of like last year's Green Room. If I remember correctly this was a UK movie at a time when UK cinema was making stuff like 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead and there was also a half decent film of a group of soldiers battling werewolves.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.966 seconds