October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
05 Apr 2017 14:43 #246020 by Michael Barnes
The minute someone starts talking about liberals and Hollywood, I immediately tune them out because at that point they have nothing of value to add to any conversation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2017 15:08 - 05 Apr 2017 15:10 #246022 by Disgustipater

quozl wrote: I wouldn't have guessed from the previews but Boss Baby is extremely creative. Recommended.

There are ads for that everywhere in Paris and Brussels (current vacation). Except it's called Baby Boss, and there's no mention of Alec Baldwin, so I imagine it's dubbed.

Also, is it weird that I had poutine for the first time in a Canadian pub in Paris?
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 15:10 by Disgustipater.

More
05 Apr 2017 15:11 #246023 by Vlad
As far as I remember, GIST: Standalone Complex season 2 was pretty heavy on politics. They spent whole chapters of heavy political exposition. But it was about Japanese politics (like whether some country had the right to have a regular army or disputes about the ownership of some islands, and the concept of honor, etc.), and it was so very obtuse I wouldn't dare say whether they were leaning right or left. Best parts were firefights, anyway.

Hollywood is full of commies, of course. We all know that they don't care at all about the money, only about spreading their ideology. And that's why China is their main market.

More
05 Apr 2017 15:39 #246026 by Black Barney

Disgustipater wrote:

quozl wrote: I wouldn't have guessed from the previews but Boss Baby is extremely creative. Recommended.

Also, is it weird that I had poutine for the first time in a Canadian pub in Paris?

there's so much going on here...

first of all, there's no such thing as a Canadian pub. There are Irish pubs, English pubs, but i've never seen a Canadian pub. The pubs they have in St.John's are indeed pretty unique though.

I would wager that having poutine in a so-called Canadian pub in Paris isn't proper poutine. Can you describe it? Was the cheese in cheese curd format (i.e. squeeky cheese?) or was it some garbage like melted mozzarella. I had a poutine in the US once and the cheese was melted velveeta sauce. I wanted to fly a plane into a building.

i bet the fries were pretty damn good though in Paris. We have AWFUL fries here. There are only restaurants in the entire city that have fries I like.

i embarassingly enough had a pretty decent poutine in the movie theatre last friday when I saw Logan. The waitress looked exactly like Hailee Steinfeld, i almost lost my mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
05 Apr 2017 19:11 #246030 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Continuing my run of movies I hope will be guilty pleasures, I watched Crank with Jason Statham being injected with a drug that will kill him unless he keeps his adrenaline flowing. It is a tolerable 6.5/10 action film, basically what you would expect from Jason Statham in the mid 00's (or Chuck Norris in the 80s, Jet Li in the 90's or Liam Neeson in the 10s). Moderate spoiler follows for those who actually want to watch this in the future: he dies at the end which isn't a surprise as they say all along the poison is incurable, and I was pleased because it meant that there would be those 3/10 sequels that followed similar films like The Transporter or Taken, but no I check imdb and they used a deus ex machina to keep him alive for a crap sequel. Surely they could just have done the crap sequel thing where the same shit happens to a different B-movie action star.

More
06 Apr 2017 08:07 #246048 by stormseeker75
The sequel is even better. And by better, I mean awful in the best possible way. He's got a female co-"star" who is Chinese. In the beginning, she's speaking to him in her language and he says to her "What is that...Cuntonese?" A+ just for that ridiculous line.

More
06 Apr 2017 09:18 #246052 by Msample

Black Barney wrote: [ We have AWFUL fries here. There are only restaurants in the entire city that have fries I like.

Try Au Pied Cochon. Pricey, but excellent food, including the fries.

Not much of a poutine fan myself, I'd rather have the gravy separate so as to keep the fries crisp.

More
06 Apr 2017 09:26 #246053 by Black Barney
I like soggy fries :)

I did Au Pied du Cochon once. They had foie gras poutine which was nuts. I think my favourite part of that restaurant was actually the bread. These big rustic round loaves that they decimate with a bat'leth, it was AWESOME.

They have a Cabane-a-Sucre from the guys that do Pied du Cochon, I've been meaning to try it but it's hard to reserve and far.

More
06 Apr 2017 16:19 #246083 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: first of all, there's no such thing as a Canadian pub.

Hey, the menu said 'pub' and there were hockey pictures on the wall. Who am I to argue?

Black Barney wrote: Was the cheese in cheese curd format (i.e. squeeky cheese?) or was it some garbage like melted mozzarella.

It was some kind of half step between mozzarella and cheese curds.

More
07 Apr 2017 11:31 #246131 by quozl

Black Barney wrote: oh COME ON, how can that be good? :)

It beat Beauty & the Beast over the weekend and i couldn't believe it.

It shocked me too but it's really good. Like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs good.

More
07 Apr 2017 12:00 #246148 by SuperflyPete
Moonrise Kingdom. What a fantastic film. I'm already a Wes Anderson fan but this just reinforces why.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

More
08 Apr 2017 19:05 #246204 by Vlad
Man, I like Wes Anderson way more than I dare to admit in public. Thing is, I liked him before he became an icon of whimsical film making. I still think Rushmore is his best film.
But Moonrise Kingdom is great and I really enjoyed Grand Hotel Budapest. Best Ralph Fiennes' work since Strange Days.

More
08 Apr 2017 19:08 #246205 by Black Barney
You are ALL OVER THE PLACE

More
08 Apr 2017 21:13 #246206 by Shellhead

Vlad wrote: Man, I like Wes Anderson way more than I dare to admit in public. Thing is, I liked him before he became an icon of whimsical film making. I still think Rushmore is his best film.
But Moonrise Kingdom is great and I really enjoyed Grand Hotel Budapest. Best Ralph Fiennes' work since Strange Days.

Rushmore is my favorite from Wes Anderson, too. I actually didn't like Bottle Rocket or The Royal Tenenbaums. I'm very hit or miss with Anderson, so I haven't even seen Moonrise Kingdom or Grand Hotel Budapest yet.

Strange Days. I saw that a long time ago, only remember one scene, but it was funny.

More
08 Apr 2017 21:22 - 08 Apr 2017 21:23 #246207 by Black Barney
Shell, you have to see Moonrise. You hafta. I still can't decide if I like it better than Rushmore but it's the first to come close enough

The only thing I remember from Strange Days are Juliette Lewis's pencil erasers. It's honestly the single only thing I remember.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2017 21:23 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.407 seconds