October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
09 Apr 2017 03:14 #246212 by Vlad
A case can be made that Strange Days is not the best movie evar, or even a particularly good one. But I like Ralph Fiennes in it a lot. It is the equivalent of Ben Affleck in Phantoms.

Anyway, Grand Budapest is not as good as Moonrise (which I agree with Barney is very close to Rushmore), but it is a good Wes Anderson movie, and Ralph Fiennes is just great in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2017 02:32 #246401 by Michael Barnes
Avoid The Void. It's been getting good notices as a kind of indie cosmic horror/Lovecraft thing. It's terrible. It's more like a crude pastiche of John Carpenter (VERY specifically Assault on Precinct 13 and Prince of Darkness) and Hellraiser (flayed dude running his mouth for 20 minutes) with a touch Reanimator minus the humor. It's visually boring, cheap looking and full of TERRIBLE writing and acting. Practical creature effects but so what.

More
12 Apr 2017 08:24 #246408 by Black Barney
Buddy had a Facebook gaRage sale yesterday so I bought three DVDs (they're the latest thing).
In Bruges
There Will Be Blood
The Crazies (weak)

More
12 Apr 2017 19:05 #246434 by Black Barney
Ok I had a pretty stressful morning so I'm treating myself to a movie in the theatres to relax. I had some biometric screening in the late afternoon. Measuring blood pressure , cholesterol, BMI, glucose and weight. When I bent over to take off my shoes , I sighed or groaned and the nurse asked if I was tired. I said yes and she said to take it easy cuz that's maybe a sign that a possible heart attack is coming, lol. Jesus

Anyway so here I am in a theatre by myself waiting to see a nice relaxing movie to chill a bit. It's called LIFE. I assume it's a rom com or something... I'll write about it tomorrow
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej

More
13 Apr 2017 09:28 - 13 Apr 2017 09:29 #246455 by Black Barney
Ok so I saw LIFE last night and wrote a five-second review. I don't like talking about spoilers in the review thread itself cuz some people might read them (even if I put tags and everything). So I'd rather talk about spoilers here using tags for anyone that saw it...

I feel like there is a wasted opportunity with the ending...

Warning: Spoiler!

oh and i had a small problem with this:

Last edit: 13 Apr 2017 09:29 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
13 Apr 2017 10:25 #246460 by hotseatgames
Yes, that's the big plot hole....

More
13 Apr 2017 10:42 - 13 Apr 2017 10:43 #246463 by Black Barney
But she WAS thinking logically in that moment cuz she decides to not re-enter ISIS ISS. UGH, my brain was hurting during that moment. C'mon! Kick that station a nice BIG KICK!

Last edit: 13 Apr 2017 10:43 by Black Barney.

More
13 Apr 2017 13:23 #246483 by Grudunza
I thought the same thing, Barney, but yeah, no movie, then. And I do like your ending idea.

More
13 Apr 2017 14:13 - 13 Apr 2017 14:13 #246493 by Black Barney
so when you get to part in screenwriting that doesn't make sense anymore cuz the character wouldn't act in this way (cuz if they did the movie would end), then you CHANGE that part to something that makes sense. That whole sequence was just super awkward cuz she was supposed to be heroic in that moment and instead seemed really stupid. I was expecting her to kick off into the atmosphere and then the crew panics cuz they're not sure that Calvin will die on re-entry so they deploy that stupid arm against to go get her, Calvin gets back on ISS and then the movie goes on.... GAWD

i'm glad you like my ended idea :) I thought it would have been perfect. With the ending the way it was, I stay past the credits to see if there was more, and there wasn't.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2017 14:13 by Black Barney.

More
16 Apr 2017 21:27 #246648 by Shellhead
I was disappointed with Moonrise Kingdom. I am hit or miss with Wes Anderson movies, and this one was a miss for me. The emotions rang true, but the rest of the story was preposterous and yet not outright funny. So it was mildly interesting and moderately entertaining, but nowhere near as good as Rushmore. Maybe my hopes were just to high, but more likely Wes Anderson is maybe just not making movies for me. I loved Rushmore and I liked The Life Aquatic, but everything else has just been okay, except that I disliked The Royal Tenenbaums and Bottle Rocket. I haven't seen The Grand Budapest Hotel yet. I respect the craft of Anderson's work, and I admire his taste in '60s music.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

More
17 Apr 2017 08:22 - 17 Apr 2017 09:56 #246654 by Black Barney
"Hang on Social Services!!" Yeah the humour is pretty weird. Bill Murray is great but Bruce Willis is probably miscast.

Anyway it's all about the kids. It won me over once the boy says and points, "no, what are YOU supposed to be?, i said, what kind of bird...are you?"

Glad you got to see it Shell
Last edit: 17 Apr 2017 09:56 by Black Barney.

More
17 Apr 2017 09:27 #246663 by Shellhead
I'm still thinking about Moonrise Kingdom today, so that's a plus. I think that Wes Anderson movies tend to be like certain Wes Anderson characters: awkward, ambitious, and brimming with potential. Some can love his movies for their flaws, but I keep thinking that a creative partner could help Wes focus on his strengths and steer away from his excesses.

More
17 Apr 2017 09:32 #246664 by stormseeker75
I watched Swiss Army Man the other day. It starts off odd and builds and then it crescendos in the middle with this beautifully odd scene that makes some sense. After that, it goes back to weird with a particularly odd ending. Not sure what to make of the ending at all, really. But that middle part got me right in the feels.

More
17 Apr 2017 09:48 #246665 by stoic

Black Barney wrote: Buddy had a Facebook gaRage sale yesterday so I bought three DVDs (they're the latest thing).
In Bruges
There Will Be Blood
The Crazies (weak)

Which version of The Crazies? The 2010 version is a good movie, but, it loses Romero's social commentary about how the zombie outbreak happens which is told in the 1973 version. In the 1973 version, Romero presents a cautionary tale of what could happen if Governments continue to experiment with Biological Warfare. In the 1973 version,
The 1973 version is well worth watching!

More
17 Apr 2017 09:51 #246666 by Black Barney
yeah, the new version. That old version sounds great tho, thanks!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.571 seconds