October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
18 May 2017 01:18 - 18 May 2017 14:38 #248593 by Cranberries

Black Barney wrote: I love me some Source Code

I made my friend and my sons watch Source Code with me. We drove to another city because it wasn't playing locally. Worth it. I don't think my kids appreciate all the great movies I've made them watch, even in Doha, when going to the theater sometimes meant 45 minutes of Fury Road grade traffic in 114 heat, or walking through a sandstorm. Fury Road. Edge of Tomorrow. Interstellar, in a brand new Imax theater that left you cowering in fear when the giant waves on the water planet rolled in. Gravity, with Arabic and French subtitles. I took all the kids to Ant Man in a packed dollar theater. It was so fun.

My wife will be all, "Eh, I'm tired, I'm staying home" and then complain later that she hasn't seen all these great movies. Sorry babe, but it takes commitment.

I made my son watch Bladerunner when he was fifteen and he said it was too slow, but then rewatched it four years later and decided it was a much better movie. I made my intro science fiction class watch Moon. I also made my Intro American Lit class watch The Great Gatsby (Redford), and ChinaTown. They also read Moby Dick.

I feel like a Calvinist preacher of popular culture, forcing the holy canon onto the unbelievers. I've also dragged friends to see The Tree of Life and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Those both required driving 45 minutes to SLC. My work is never done.
Last edit: 18 May 2017 14:38 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2017 08:37 #248597 by Black Barney
Edge of tomorrow is getting a sequel. I'm worried cuz it's a gimmick

More
18 May 2017 09:35 #248601 by stoic

cranberries wrote:

Black Barney wrote: I love me some Source Code

I made my friend and my sons watch Source Code with me. We drove to another city because it wasn't playing locally. Worth it. I don't think my kids appreciate all the great movies I've made them watch, even in Doha, when going to the theater sometimes meant 45 minutes of Fury Road grade traffic in 114 heat, or walking through a sandstorm. Fury Road. Edge of Tomorrow. Interstellar, in a brand new Imax theater that left you cowering in fear when the giant waves on the water planet rolled in. Gravity, with Arabic and French subtitles. I took all the kids to Ant Man in a packed dollar theater. It was so fun. My wife will be all, "Eh, I'm tired, I'm staying home" and then complain later that she hasn't seen all these great movies. Sorry babe, but it takes commitment. I made my son watch Bladerunner when he was fifteen and he said it was too slow, but then rewatched if four years later and decided it was a much better movie. I made my intro science fiction class watch Moon. I also made my Intro American Lit class watch The Great Gatsby (Redford), and ChinaTown. They also read Moby Dick. I feel like a Calvinist preacher of popular culture, forcing the holy canon onto the unbelievers. I've also dragged friends to see The Tree of Life and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Those both required driving 45 minutes to SLC. My work is never done.

Isn't it interesting when your students discover that Moby Dick isn't about hunting whales?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 May 2017 12:19 - 18 May 2017 12:32 #248605 by Grudunza
I watched The Brand New Testament last night. It’s a Belgian film from 2015, and it’s a great one. The premise is that God is a jerk who lives in Brussels and controls things via his computer, making up laws like “the required amount of sleep is 10 more minutes.” He has an unknown daughter (his well-known son does play a small part) who manages to hack into his system and escape into the world. She sends a message to the world that tells everyone exactly when they’re going to die, which creates some interesting changes in people’s lives.

The girl gathers 6 apostles to follow her (6 for an amusing reason), and each apostle has a short vignette about who they are and what changed about their lives upon finding out their death dates. Some of these were more meaningful and poignant and better realized than others, but on the whole, the film is a very clever and visually inventive look at humanity, and I loved the ultimate message. (Well, the message I took from it. You may take something else.) Despite the premise, this is definitely not a religious film, so don't expect a schmaltzy "get back to God" kind of thing. There is some great insight here, but not in that kind of way.

It’s available to rent for $3 on iTunes and Vudu.

Last edit: 18 May 2017 12:32 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty, hotseatgames

More
18 May 2017 13:19 #248613 by SuperflyPete
Saw "Imperium". Fucking grim. Scary shit.

More
18 May 2017 14:39 #248624 by Cranberries

Black Barney wrote: Edge of tomorrow is getting a sequel. I'm worried cuz it's a gimmick

They're just going to re-show the original film.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Black Barney, OldHippy, Colorcrayons, charlest

More
18 May 2017 14:51 #248627 by Black Barney
lol, that would be the best hoax ever

"...i feel like i've seen this before"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
18 May 2017 22:53 #248644 by SebastianBludd
Just got back from seeing Alien: Covenant with my son. It's better than Prometheus while still suffering from the same flaws that hampered that movie. Simply put, it starts out as a high concept sci-fi movie and abruptly becomes a gory creature feature about halfway through. But it's Ridley Scott so the film, encompassing everything from the set design to the cinematography, looks amazing. The crew behaves slightly less dumb than the one in Prometheus so it's easier to pay less attention to the plot and focus on the visuals if that's your thing.

I won't go so far as to say I liked it, but having just watched Prometheus for the first time a few days ago I knew what I was in for so I was able to inure myself to its flaws and enjoy it for what it is (how's that for damning with faint praise?). Easily the best part of the experience was taking my son to see his first Alien movie on the big screen, even if it was mediocre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
18 May 2017 23:12 #248646 by Michael Barnes
I just read an article on Vice that made one of the best points about this current trend toward "universe" type movies and extended franchises...they spend more time answering questions no one was asking and "world building" than they do telling a simple story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, stormseeker75, OldHippy

More
19 May 2017 08:15 #248650 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: I just read an article on Vice that made one of the best points about this current trend toward "universe" type movies and extended franchises...they spend more time answering questions no one was asking and "world building" than they do telling a simple story.

Translation -- Comic Book Movies are much like Comic Books.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, Feelitmon

More
19 May 2017 10:22 #248658 by Jexik
Inception spent a similar amount of time talking to itself.

More
19 May 2017 14:54 #248695 by Black Barney
gah! lost another post :( Explorer SUCKS

Shell, i'm half way through the script for the scrapped Aliens sequel.

When was it written, the 90s? The parallels to Prometheus are really interesting (the fact that the alien pathogen is a genetically engineered weapon, and they come to suspect that in this).

By not respecting the alien lifecycle (egg, facehugger, chestburster, alien), they've made it less scary. Coming out of a test tube (like in Life) just isn't as scary.

Bishop is cool and I'm glad Newt got out of Dodge. I'm guessing Ripley will show up later but who knows. Hicks seems pretty consistent too.

Anyway, i'll keep going. The last few scenes were pretty intense.

More
19 May 2017 15:58 #248712 by Shellhead
I am currently at about the same spot in that script. I believe this first draft was written in 1987, which explains the Cold War tension between the two sides. This was still early enough in Gibson's writing career that he wasn't focused on his own style and was looking more to fit with the Alien franchise. He does a decent job capturing the characters of Bishop and Hicks, but I'm a little disappointed at his relative lack of interesting science stuff and the disregard for the alien life cycle. Still, better than the actual post-Aliens sequels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 May 2017 16:32 #248721 by Black Barney
oh yeah, MUCH better than those. I'm really liking Bishop in this more and more, he's a really cool character and the screenwriter is having fun with him. And it's very beilevable that Bishop's would get "cute" with his language like this.

So if it got written in 1987, isn't it remarkable that he picked up on the idea that the aliens could be an engineered weapon? Cuz all the talk of the analysis at the cellular level seems to support that. And Prometheus certainly went in this direction. It's cool how it lines up. It's also obvious that Alien: Ressurection got inspired by this script and stole some stuff.

Anyway, I'll keep reading and let's compare notes at the end. I'll be careful with spoilers in case i get further ahead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

More
19 May 2017 17:04 #248725 by Feelitmon

Black Barney wrote: By not respecting the alien lifecycle (egg, facehugger, chestburster, alien), they've made it less scary. Coming out of a test tube (like in Life) just isn't as scary.

Preach! This is one of my few complaints about Aliens, actually: the introduction of the queen to the xenomorph lifecycle. Don’t get me wrong, she’s badass, she makes for a great set piece in the movie’s climax, and she supports the movie’s motherhood theme. But just like having hundreds of aliens running around reduces what had been a horrifying, unstoppable monster to (admittedly scary) cannon fodder, adding the queen weakens the run-of-the-mill drone xenos. I completely acknowledge that these decisions were necessary for creating a horror action movie sequel to what was a straight horror movie.

But man, that self-contained lifecycle in the original movie (as fleshed out in removed scenes and the novelization) is just so cool and otherworldly. Egg -> facehugger -> chestburster -> bigfucka -> egg. Love it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 4.168 seconds