October 09, 2023
2297 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
19 Jul 2017 16:40 #251395 by Msample
Stoked, just got tickets to see DUNKIRK tomorrow night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2017 17:57 #251397 by Michael Barnes
Watched John Wick...and it made me feel OLD.

If I had seen that film in 1992, 1992, 1994...I probably would have been blown away. Because at that time, the whole John Woo thing wasn't completely assimilated into Western cinema, and the "really awesome assassin" genre wasn't really happening in the US. At that point, the movies that this one is constantly referencing (like Le Cercle Rogue) would have been fresher to me. But now, I'm 41 and it's 2017, and I've been watching movies JUST LIKE THIS for decades. More importantly, BETTER movies like this. Oldboy blows it out of the water. Leon is still the solid gold standard for the really awesome assassin film. I've seen cinematic gunplay and bloodshed over and over again that makes John Wick look paltry (witness the end of A Better Tomorrow 2, for example, or the Lone Wolf and Cub films).

So I came out of the movie with a big shrug. I think the whole thing with the dog and the car endeared a lot of folks to it, and all of that business with The Continental. But the thing is, Wanted did that whole cartoonish/comic bookish secret hitman society thing WAY better.

I did like how the film alluded to past events/histories but never explained them quite a lot, that was pretty neat. That could explain the appeal to some degree too.

Music was APPALLINGLY bad. It felt like watching Mortal Kombat but with that Marilyn Manson "Killing Strangers" song instead of "MORTALLLL KOMBAT!"

Big ol' MEH from me on that.

Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes again...even though there are some hilarious implausibilities in it (like James Franco's character ever being able to work in biotech again after the incident at the beginning), its a pretty solid and surprisingly thoughtful science fiction picture. It was really a pretty bold move, to spend so much of the movie concerned with relationship building and character development and less on, well, the Planet of the Apes. Going to rewatch Dawn too, I liked it but I only watched it one time so we'll see how it holds up.

The Netflix Castlevania thing is pretty bad. Warren Ellis wrote it, but you can't tell.

More
19 Jul 2017 18:34 #251398 by Black Barney

Msample wrote: Stoked, just got tickets to see DUNKIRK tomorrow night.

Dying to hear about this

Between Nolan and the cast, this could easily be the best movie of the year maybe

I'm really really curious what kind of emotions he'll manage to evoke with this

More
19 Jul 2017 19:34 #251399 by Grudunza
Rise, Dawn, and now War make for a great modern Apes trilogy. I have a few quibbles with War (and the others), but I mostly loved it. Amazing cinematography and score. Feels like both a war film (especially something like The Great Escape) and a racial (in this case, species) drama. I like how each of these films have their own feel, building to this one, and yet feel like a pretty unified whole.

More
19 Jul 2017 22:22 #251405 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Black Barney wrote:

Msample wrote: Stoked, just got tickets to see DUNKIRK tomorrow night.

Dying to hear about this

Between Nolan and the cast, this could easily be the best movie of the year maybe

I'm really really curious what kind of emotions he'll manage to evoke with this

For some reason I am really hoping that half way through the film the retreat from Dunkirk is interrupted by an invasion of alien lizardmen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Jul 2017 00:20 #251412 by Vlad

Michael Barnes wrote: Watched John Wick...and it made me feel OLD.

I had the same feeling with it. It is the same "cool dude kills lotta henchmen" movie I've seen about hundred times. The only scene I kinda remember is the fight in the nightclub, and I am not sure whether the images I remember are from this one or Collateral. But then I realized that the people I know who loved it are at least 10 years younger. They associate "Leon" with their parents.

More
20 Jul 2017 21:05 #251439 by scrumpyjack
Dunkirk was fantastic. Very little dialogue, and what was there was pretty hard to understand in some places, but that didn't matter much in the end. The entire movie just felt... relentless. You really feel the sense of impending doom that those men must have felt waiting on the beaches. Hans Zimmer's score really knocked it out of the park, and the general battle sounds were incredible, especially the Stuka sirens. The interwoven narrative worked well and built to a very satisfying conclusion. Overall highly recommended, although extremely stressful, movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney

More
20 Jul 2017 21:10 - 20 Jul 2017 21:12 #251440 by Black Barney
My mommy loved it and she doesn't like action movies , and it's non stop action so I don't know what that means. And from the sounds of the storytelling, it's very Nolan

Can't wait

She said the IMAX was well worth it to feel the expanse of the beaches

Hopefully I'll go Tuesday

I'm going to make an effort to see more movies the next five weeks
Last edit: 20 Jul 2017 21:12 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
20 Jul 2017 22:20 #251445 by Colorcrayons
Watched rogue one on Netflix.
Damn fine star wars movie.
I'd rank it right behind the original, maybe even higher.

More
20 Jul 2017 23:32 #251448 by hotseatgames
Watched Kong: Skull Island or whatever the name of the movie may be. While the script was not that great, holy shit did the creature FX look amazing. I'm not normally one to comment on special effects. My feeling is, at this point, your effects are only noteworthy if they DON'T look good. But man.... this movie looks incredible. See it for that reason alone.

More
21 Jul 2017 00:01 #251452 by Jackwraith
Saw Dunkirk. Not a bad film, especially since I'm a Chris Nolan fan. The attention to technical detail was well done and Mark Rylance was excellent in his role. But I wasn't blown away by anything. A good film. Not a great one.

More
21 Jul 2017 07:46 #251455 by Msample

scrumpyjack wrote: Dunkirk was fantastic. Very little dialogue, and what was there was pretty hard to understand in some places, but that didn't matter much in the end. The entire movie just felt... relentless. You really feel the sense of impending doom that those men must have felt waiting on the beaches. Hans Zimmer's score really knocked it out of the park, and the general battle sounds were incredible, especially the Stuka sirens. The interwoven narrative worked well and built to a very satisfying conclusion. Overall highly recommended, although extremely stressful, movie.

Saw it last night and would concur. The aerial scenes were exceptionally well done.

More
21 Jul 2017 08:44 #251457 by charlest

Msample wrote:

scrumpyjack wrote: Dunkirk was fantastic. Very little dialogue, and what was there was pretty hard to understand in some places, but that didn't matter much in the end. The entire movie just felt... relentless. You really feel the sense of impending doom that those men must have felt waiting on the beaches. Hans Zimmer's score really knocked it out of the park, and the general battle sounds were incredible, especially the Stuka sirens. The interwoven narrative worked well and built to a very satisfying conclusion. Overall highly recommended, although extremely stressful, movie.

Saw it last night and would concur. The aerial scenes were exceptionally well done.

I saw it as well and agree with everything here. Fantastic, tense atmosphere. Probably the best war film since Saving Private Ryan.

Those Tom Hardy aerial scenes were the best part of the movie IMO. I could have watched him flying that Spitfire for hours.

My only disappointment was in Cillian Murphy's role. Not the character, as I think he was important, but in the fact that he's one of my favorite actors and I would have liked to see him featured more prominently.

More
22 Jul 2017 12:54 - 22 Jul 2017 12:54 #251515 by Grudunza
Nonstop intensity and danger, with amazing aerial cinematography. Tom Hardy deserves an Oscar nom for his eye work. Had a similar sense of immersion and intensity as Das Boot, but without the down times (the down times help make Das Boot as great as it is, but wouldn't have worked as well here).

Charlie, speaking of wanting to see more of Cillian Murphy, that was something that bugged me just a little, that we didn't get the scene in between for him. (You know what I mean.) It felt a bit like that was missing (perhaps cut?) from the film.

Tough call between this score (Hans Zimmer) and Apes (Michael Giachinno). Both excellent.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2017 12:54 by Grudunza.

More
22 Jul 2017 14:21 #251518 by Jackwraith
I saw it on Thursday, as well. I'm not as fired up about it as many seem to be, but I liked it: dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2017/07/modern-war.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.936 seconds