October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
23 Jul 2017 13:51 #251541 by repoman

charlest wrote:

Msample wrote:

scrumpyjack wrote: Dunkirk was fantastic. Very little dialogue, and what was there was pretty hard to understand in some places, but that didn't matter much in the end. The entire movie just felt... relentless. You really feel the sense of impending doom that those men must have felt waiting on the beaches. Hans Zimmer's score really knocked it out of the park, and the general battle sounds were incredible, especially the Stuka sirens. The interwoven narrative worked well and built to a very satisfying conclusion. Overall highly recommended, although extremely stressful, movie.

Saw it last night and would concur. The aerial scenes were exceptionally well done.

I saw it as well and agree with everything here. Fantastic, tense atmosphere. Probably the best war film since Saving Private Ryan.

Those Tom Hardy aerial scenes were the best part of the movie IMO. I could have watched him flying that Spitfire for hours.

My only disappointment was in Cillian Murphy's role. Not the character, as I think he was important, but in the fact that he's one of my favorite actors and I would have liked to see him featured more prominently.

I agree with all of this. Can't really add much more. Loved those aerial scenes. I also like how a great director, like Nolan, doesn't need to rely on ultra graphic violence to convey the horror of war. A weaker director would have shown lots more blood and gut but Nolan leaves the gruesome much to our imagination. You don't see the guys get squashed between the mole and the drifting ship but you do hear their cries of agony suddenly cease. And good lord, when the dive bombers are heading for that fully packed pier......

Anyway, yes it certainly is one of the best war movies since Private Ryan.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2017 22:24 - 23 Jul 2017 22:28 #251549 by Gary Sax
Saw Dunkirk. 3/4 stars, solely on the strength of its visuals, sets, and effects, which gobsmacked me. I cannot imagine what it looked like in 70mm, I saw it in 35mm. Really worth seeing just for visuals and direction.

Other than that, it didn't do that much for me. I did not like the air/sea/land many characters split. I ended up leaving the movie without any sense of viewpoint or concrete experience. I'm also starting to sour on war movies that try to give me any sense of what is strategically going on and position me in some sort of guy over a map narrative by combining characters who wouldn't have spoken to each other. This movie isn't trying to do that explicitly, but I think it does because it gives us some nice pulled out viewpoints of what is going on, what the commanders are thinking, etc.

There weren't any real characters in the movie per se, which is ok. But the characters that were in it were relatively expected from my perspective. I could have done without the music swells, cheering, and reading the paper, etc which felt a bit forced and hollow to me.

But then, my favorite war visual media is The Pacific and many people don't agree with that. After reading Atkinson, I think it captures the war experience of a few, specific, perspectives better than most. Which IMHO is all a war film can expect to do with any verisimilitude.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2017 22:28 by Gary Sax.

More
24 Jul 2017 04:51 #251560 by repoman
Yeah, I agree with you to a point here Gary. The end with everybody all smiles on the empty beach was a bit lame and I was thinking...uh...there are still like a bunch of people on that beach and the rear guard holding the perimeter. But then I said "well it's a movie and we have to feel good at the end."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Jul 2017 11:11 - 24 Jul 2017 11:17 #251575 by RobertB
The upside of having a daughter that works at the theater is, hey, free movies! The downside is that she's seen Dunkirk (her verdict - meh, but that's her verdict), but wanted to see Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. So free movie, and worth every penny. Kind of like The Fifth Element, without the charm. It's a gorgeous, dull movie.

ETA: Wife, daughter, and her boyfriend all agreed with me. RobertB the cheapskate said before we went, "If you can't get tickets tonight, we can just wait." This later turned out to be a good call. I wouldn't have been pissed if I had spent $30 on it, but I would have been even more disappointed than I was.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2017 11:17 by RobertB.

More
24 Jul 2017 12:27 #251582 by Black Barney
Hey i have the option to see DUNKIRK on either 70mm or actual, real IMAX (not the fake IMAX). I have no idea which would be better?

I'm going to see The Big Sick first though. probably tomorrow, maybe tonight.

More
25 Jul 2017 21:01 - 26 Jul 2017 09:03 #251654 by Sagrilarus

repoman wrote:

charlest wrote:

Msample wrote:

scrumpyjack wrote: Dunkirk was fantastic. Very little dialogue, and what was there was pretty hard to understand in some places, but that didn't matter much in the end. The entire movie just felt... relentless. You really feel the sense of impending doom that those men must have felt waiting on the beaches. Hans Zimmer's score really knocked it out of the park, and the general battle sounds were incredible, especially the Stuka sirens. The interwoven narrative worked well and built to a very satisfying conclusion. Overall highly recommended, although extremely stressful, movie.

Saw it last night and would concur. The aerial scenes were exceptionally well done.

I saw it as well and agree with everything here. Fantastic, tense atmosphere. Probably the best war film since Saving Private Ryan.

Those Tom Hardy aerial scenes were the best part of the movie IMO. I could have watched him flying that Spitfire for hours.

My only disappointment was in Cillian Murphy's role. Not the character, as I think he was important, but in the fact that he's one of my favorite actors and I would have liked to see him featured more prominently.

I agree with all of this. Can't really add much more. Loved those aerial scenes. I also like how a great director, like Nolan, doesn't need to rely on ultra graphic violence to convey the horror of war. A weaker director would have shown lots more blood and gut but Nolan leaves the gruesome much to our imagination. You don't see the guys get squashed between the mole and the drifting ship but you do hear their cries of agony suddenly cease. And good lord, when the dive bombers are heading for that fully packed pier......

Anyway, yes it certainly is one of the best war movies since Private Ryan.

Schnauzer.

My golly, did the director not think to consult just one person with knowledge of the subject matter? Wrong paint jobs, wrong tactics, wrong everything. The entire aircraft thread was a mess. It was very apparent that the writer had an implausible story in mind, and the cinematographer had ideas for shooting, and basic physics and the historical reality were an ultra-low priority.

The vast majority of soldiers were evacuated by Destroyer or Troop Transport. The story of the guys on the beach seemed like an afterthought, but frankly I don't think particularly added to the story. What it did add was incorrect, which would have made sense if there had been a compelling dramatic reason. There really wasn't, could have been.

The whole movie was kind of slow, only one particularly interesting character. The three different length time frames thing was weird. I started looking at my watch at an hour and ten. On the bright side, it was in one of those new theaters with the reclining chairs. Really nice.

Oh, and one more thing -- the scenes (several) with the ships sinking, rolling over, where they fixed the camera to the ship, instead of keeping it level. The result was some weird ass photography, with water climbing the side of the image. By the time I was watching it for the third time I was dissecting the mechanics of it, which I concluded was stupid and confusing as hell. They'd have done better to leave the camera stationary and roll the platform, so you see it sink into the sea from a continuous, level perspective. It would have made more sense to viewers, looked more dramatic, and I can't help but think might have been easier to do. Is this a thing, where you young'ns have become so accustomed to screwed up perspectives from GoPros that it makes more sense to roll the camera than the thing it's pointing at? They sure as hell didn't roll the water, so it was a conscious choice. Looked retarded.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2017 09:03 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Black Barney

More
26 Jul 2017 09:05 #251671 by Sagrilarus

Black Barney wrote: Hey i have the option to see DUNKIRK on either 70mm or actual, real IMAX (not the fake IMAX). I have no idea which would be better?

60 inch television is my recommendation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
26 Jul 2017 09:10 - 26 Jul 2017 09:10 #251674 by Mr. White
Does this mean Kelly's Heroes is still the best war movie?

Last edit: 26 Jul 2017 09:10 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
26 Jul 2017 09:17 #251676 by Black Barney
Ok, maybe I'll go see Dunkirk next Tuesday. After leaving Big SIck yesterday a teary-eyed mess, I realized that of the 14 movies I've seen this year, only 3-4 have been really good, and one of them is Hidden Figures which is from last year. i need to start seeing better movies again. I still don't know why I bothered to see Life.

More
26 Jul 2017 09:19 #251677 by jpat
www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/07/25/..._viewing_format.html

Not sure the article is all that helpful, but the embedded video makes things pretty clear with regard to format. I passed up a sort-of chance to go see it in true IMAX, but making a four-hour round trip on a weeknight didn't seem like the greatest idea.

More
26 Jul 2017 09:28 #251682 by Black Barney
thanks beaker, ok that clears things up. I was confused when i saw my options as:

In IMAX® Experience :
Tue (Aug 1) 12:00, 2:35, 5:10, 7:50, 10:30

70mm Presentation :
Tue (Aug 1) 11:45am, 2:15, 4:40, 7:20, 9:50

because I didn't know IMAX was also 70mm. I'm stupid.

Ok so if only 31 of the 3,600 theatres in North America are true IMAX and i have one 6-9 minutes from my work, I would be a total jerk if I missed this opportunity. I'll try and make an effort to go next Tuesday. Thanks!

More
26 Jul 2017 10:38 #251692 by Unicron

Mr. White wrote: Does this mean Kelly's Heroes is still the best war movie?

I'd argue that it's a heist movie, though a war comprises the setting. The film is defined by the caper and an ensemble cast. I suppose that The Great Escape blurs that line to an extent too. Maybe it's just semantics. It's a great picture either way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
26 Jul 2017 13:11 #251703 by Vlad
Saw the last Apes movie and Valerian.
Apes I liked quite a lot. It is probably the best in this franchise. What I find surprising about these movies in general is how bleak they are. Very much in line with the original Apes, and absolutely not something I expect from a summer blockbuster.
Valerian is meh. It is similar to Fifth Element in many ways, and in a couple of scenes gets very close - but I'm talking a couple of scenes out of a very long movie. The biggest problem, as many reviewers have pointed out, are the main characters. The actors are not particularly good, and not likable enough for me to care. And they basically don't like, maybe even hate each other, but the film tries to pass it for passive-aggressive flirting. Which is pretty annoying. And, unlike Fifth Element, which was full of actual props, here almost everything is CGI. It is gorgeous CGI, but still feels weightless.
Hopefully going to see Dunkirk this week-end.

More
26 Jul 2017 13:26 - 26 Jul 2017 13:37 #251704 by jpat

Black Barney wrote: thanks beaker, ok that clears things up. I was confused when i saw my options as:

In IMAX® Experience :
Tue (Aug 1) 12:00, 2:35, 5:10, 7:50, 10:30

70mm Presentation :
Tue (Aug 1) 11:45am, 2:15, 4:40, 7:20, 9:50

because I didn't know IMAX was also 70mm. I'm stupid.

Ok so if only 31 of the 3,600 theatres in North America are true IMAX and i have one 6-9 minutes from my work, I would be a total jerk if I missed this opportunity. I'll try and make an effort to go next Tuesday. Thanks!

thepixelpulse.com/2011/12/what-is-an-ima...why-should-you-care/

I don't think the "IMAX Experience" is the "true" IMAX. It's made to be intentionally confusing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues
Last edit: 26 Jul 2017 13:37 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
26 Jul 2017 13:51 #251707 by Black Barney
yeah this is where I typically go:

Montreal – Cinema Banque Scotia 13 (15/70 mm, 3D)

and i think it's true IMAX there, as opposed to IMAX Experience which is billed at tons of theatres in the suburbs but aren't in that list (and correctly so). I'll need to make sure which of the two viewings is the true IMAX thingie. What a pain :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.060 seconds