October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
27 Aug 2017 08:14 #253199 by Black Barney
ouf, poor Disgustipater :( After reading that I almost feel like sending you some money to help you through this difficult time. I've been in that situation a few times and it's a very introspective moment.

On the flip side, i remember when I went to go to see Freddy Got Fingered and I was the only person laughing in the entire movie theatre.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2017 09:05 #253204 by Shellhead
Kiss of the Dragon is simply Jet Li beating up a significant portion of the male population of Paris. Bridget Fonda co-stars as the prostitute with a heart of gold. The story is a flimsy pretext for an increasingly violent series of fight scenes. Li plays his usual impassive, athletic self, with barely a hint of the charm that he showed in The Hitman. Fonda is herself, more or less, though she strives heroically to convince us that such a beautiful blonde would end up as a lowly streetwalker. Paris is a lovely city, Fonda has a pretty face, and the action is good. Sometimes that's just enough to make for 90 minutes of entertainment. I didn't check the movie date on the box, but I'm guessing 1999 or 2000. It has that post-HK feel to it, when studios were trying to mix and match Hong Kong stars into Hollywood fare while losing the wild genre mixes of the HK fare.

More
28 Aug 2017 22:00 #253274 by Shellhead
Live and Let Die is my favorite Bond movie. Why?

1. Yaphet Kotto is my favorite Bond mastermind villain, with his jaunty, urbane confidence.
2. A young Jane Seymour, with a more subtle beauty than typical for a Bond girl.
3. Voodoo trappings, in general.
4. Geoffrey Holder as Baron Samedi, in particular.
5. The Rider-Waite tarot cards.
6. Some genuine creepiness in the voodoo ceremony.
7. The theme song by Paul McCartney and Wings.
8. The introduction and comedic antics of Sheriff Pepper.
9. The New Orleans funeral march.
10. Some slick secret doors/panels/elevators.

The boat chase is overly long, and there is a ludicrous death near the end. But otherwise, Live and Let Die was a welcome break from the increasingly stale Bond movie formula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
29 Aug 2017 10:02 #253300 by RobertB
It's my wife's favorite Bond movie too. Not my favorite, but it's the best of the Roger Moore ones.

I watched The Firm yesterday evening. See Tom run! Run, Tom, run! I saw it in the theater when it came out in 19-ought-3, or whenever it did. It's an okay movie, with a really good cast*, that runs a tad too long.

* Jeanne Tripplehorn is like nails on a chalkboard to me, and I don't know why.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Aug 2017 12:51 #253316 by Unicron
Last night, I watched Tom Ford's Nocturnal Animals which is an amorphous bit of stylized trash that lacked identity or purpose. I don't think films that are grounded in the lives of art gallery owners and novelists are any less divorced from reality than superhero franchises that dominate cinema now. It felt so aggressively dull. Maybe the parallels between the split narrative of the novel within the film and the relationship between the protagonist reading it are supposed to be fascinating in the Lynchian-Mobius-strip manner, but it felt like the "shocking" novel within cribbed a lot from Peckinpah or Haneke without leaving their impact.

I don't remember seeing anything for this film when it was in theaters. I must be very out of the loop.

More
29 Aug 2017 13:13 #253319 by Black Barney
Lol I have the same problem with Tripplehorn and I also cannot explain why

More
29 Aug 2017 13:54 #253329 by charlest
I thought Nocturnal Animals was alright. Not great, but I found myself paying attention the entire time. The comparison to Peckinpah without impact is pretty apt though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unicron

More
01 Sep 2017 23:23 - 02 Sep 2017 12:49 #253592 by Vlad
Saw Wild Wind River tonight. It is one of the best films I've seen this year.
The cinematography is utterly beautiful, reminded me a lot of Sicario (someone from Sicaro is definitely involved in this one, but I still haven't looked up). Except it is snow instead of desert and there's an actual story/mystery this time. Which is very simple and down-to-earth, but also 99.9% believable and sad. It is pretty slow for the first 2/3rds, but the 3rd act is incredibly tense and nasty, and has the best mexican standoff since early Tarantino and the best use of flashback... since early tarantino. Renner is also pretty great here. Highly recommended.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2017 12:49 by Vlad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
02 Sep 2017 02:24 #253593 by Grudunza
Writer of Hell or High Water (and Sicario), Nick Cave score, Vlad recommendation. I'm in. (Btw, it's Wind River.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
02 Sep 2017 09:23 #253595 by Black Barney
Now you tell me. I thought he meant Wild Things so I watched that and wondered if the great cinematography includes Denise Richards getting champagne on her tits

Makes more sense now
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad, Lady Klis

More
02 Sep 2017 12:46 #253601 by Vlad
Thanks Grudunza, edited to avoid confusing Barney. Alarmingly, this is not the first time I type in a wrong title of a game or a movie. Don't know if it is developing dyslexia or shortening attention span.
Anyways, I'm kind of ashamed I still haven't seen Hell or High Water, so can't compare.

More
02 Sep 2017 12:48 #253602 by Black Barney
I can't recommend Hell of High Water enough, especially that you appreciate cinematography, but according to Grud, only Vlad recommendations are worth a damn around here

*moping*

More
02 Sep 2017 12:50 #253604 by Vlad
I like the honesty of your jealousy.

More
02 Sep 2017 16:07 #253609 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: I can't recommend Hell of High Water enough, especially that you appreciate cinematography, but according to Grud, only Vlad recommendations are worth a damn around here

*moping*

Your recommendations are so much a given that they aren't worth mentioning. :oP

And actually, I recall Vlad bagging on Sicario, so we're at odds there. So I'll discount his pans, and take his recommendations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

More
02 Sep 2017 19:47 #253615 by Vlad
I am actually very interested in what you guys have to say on this one, in particular taking into account our disagreement on Sicario.
I've been thinking about Wind River a lot more than I usually do after watching a movie. The third act is so good, it might well become a cult classic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.141 seconds