October 09, 2023
2513 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2710 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
10 Oct 2017 18:18 #255467 by Vlad
I really hated Pacific Rim, but I need to watch it again with my son, maybe he'll like it.

Now, The Lair of the White Worm... I have a very vivid memory of watching a scene of this movie when I was 12 or 13. There is this guy who walks into the hall of a mansion, in broad daylight and suddenly this vampire rushes at him of nowhere. I got so freaked out by that scene, couldn't sleep for weeks. Like really traumatized. And I didn't know the name of the movie or anything else about it.
About 5-6 years later, I watched the whole movie without knowing that that scene was there, and it was really silly, but when that scene came up, I got freaked out again.
I watched it again in a few years, and it was just silly, but I still found that scene to be a big highlight. It is so simple and straightforward and has lots of energy to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2017 18:35 #255469 by Michael Barnes
Holy shit I can't believe I forgot Dark Night of the Scarecrow. It's a made-for-TV slasher from 1981 where Larry Drake plays a mentally-challenged man who is executed by four rednecks, who in turn start getting offed in revenge slayings. The movie is anchored by the excellent Charles Durning as the postman/ringleader and it's a well-written, well-paced little film that builds to a great ending. My sons liked it and I'd watch it any day of the week over a Friday the 13th movie.

Oh yeah man, that is one of the legendary made-for-TV movies. I remember watching it when it first aired, I loved it! It has that great cut of a scythe coming down on somebody and then SPLAT - jelly on a plate. I love that movie, it's unusually effective horror for a TV movie, and I think it totally stands up with the horror cinema of the period.

I have never seen any Friday the 13th film. It's kind of a "thing" at this point that I haven't. I was flipping through the on demand service we have and they are all on there. I thought about watching the first one...but nope, then I'd break like 35 years of not seeing them.

Oddly, I went as Jason one year for Halloween.

More
10 Oct 2017 20:08 #255480 by Space Ghost

Oddly, I went as Jason one year for Halloween.

Odd, indeed. For some reason this just makes me very happy

More
11 Oct 2017 01:20 #255488 by Colorcrayons
Oddly, I thought pacific rim was the best kaiju movie ever made.

It doesn't concentrate on the human elements to the point where the monster fights are an after thought, the human elements are suitably cheesy and don't take themselves seriously. Its over the top, in what you'd expect from a kaiju flick.

As honest trailers described it: " its so dumb its awesome or its so awesome that its dumb".

I hate charlie hunnam though. He could have been dropped. But even then, his ham fisted performance follows a lot of tropes for the genre.

Pacific rim 'gets' it. I cant wait for the sequel.

More
11 Oct 2017 07:57 #255492 by hotseatgames
Last night I re-watched The Great Gatsby, after having only seen it in the theater. It was good, but not as good as I remembered. I believe the reason is that the biggest thing this movie has going for it is the fact that it is visually stunning. Few movies look this good, and in the theater, the effect was intensified.

Tobey Maguire turns in the best performance of the film, and Dicaprio does a good job as well, but something about the movie is still a bit off.

More
12 Oct 2017 23:26 #255633 by Michael Barnes
Baby Driver was fun. Very cool, very slick picture with great music and some awesome stunt work. It's Edgar Wright most assured work yet and I think he is about a film away from making his best.

However, if you live in Atlanta, this movie takes on a whole new dimension. I knew every single location. I was rolling in the opening scene where hey rob a bank...and although the editing hides it, they really just go right around the corner to get away. Like, one block. They talk about and go to Bacchanalia, chef Annie Quatrano's masterpiece restaurant. They hit I-85 and I-20. They go up around Perimeter Mall. A lot of it is shot around the Fairlie-Poplar disctrict by Georgia State University. Local newsman Morris Diggs is in it. And Octane Coffee, we go there all the time! I had no idea they shot there!

It was all not quite as much fun as unexpectedly seeing the fabled Big Chicken in an obscure Italian zombie film shot in Atlanta, but I loved seeing my hometown represented and represented well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
14 Oct 2017 10:58 #255705 by Disgustipater
I saw The Thing in 70mm with 6-track magnetic audio. I never noticed before that the doctor had a nose ring. I guess it was an original print, as it was tinted red with age. The sound was really great though, particularly the score.

More
14 Oct 2017 11:29 #255707 by ChristopherMD
War for the Planet of the Apes - I continue to be surprised by how much these movies don't suck.

More
14 Oct 2017 11:31 #255708 by hotseatgames
I saw The Mountain Between Us. Idris Elba and Kate Winslet get trapped on a snowy peak, and have to rely on each other for survival. It's a decent movie, while playing fast and loose with realism. For all the money saved on cast, they could have spent more on the CG mountain lion. Yikes, it looks bad.

More
14 Oct 2017 12:33 #255710 by Black Barney
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
14 Oct 2017 15:18 #255715 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I just saw Blade Runner 2049. I don't understand the love this is getting as it is similar in quality to Tron: Legacy. I may even forget I saw it in a couple of years time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

More
14 Oct 2017 19:40 #255726 by Black Barney
I just slept through Lego Ninjaku, I'll write a review monday

More
14 Oct 2017 19:45 #255727 by SebastianBludd
Last night my sons and I watched Halloween 3. I saw it for the first time last year and I like it even more now. It's a great looking movie and 90% of the movie's eerie mood is conveyed by the great soundtrack. It's interesting to contrast Halloween 3 with Halloween: H20, a movie I don't like at all. While also set in California, Halloween 3 still feels like a Halloween (the holiday) film, whereas H20 has the slick and empty look of a CW show.

More
15 Oct 2017 09:33 #255736 by Black Barney
Mad Max Fury Road played on TV last night. Even with the commercials and the intermittent sound quality, Immortan Joe totally took over the room as I sat in awe of him.

On the smaller screen I got to appreciate nuances of Hardys performance more as well, maybe cuz I wasn't as blown away by the visuals.

If I had to make a short list of top five movies that have to be experienced in a theatre, this would be on it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Vlad

More
15 Oct 2017 09:36 - 15 Oct 2017 09:51 #255737 by Grudunza

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I just saw Blade Runner 2049. I don't understand the love this is getting as it is similar in quality to Tron: Legacy. I may even forget I saw it in a couple of years time.

I saw it yesterday and have the opposite reaction. I keep thinking about it, and different scenes and moments that were cool and meaningful, and I’m eager to see it again. May be the best completely unnecessary and unwarranted sequel ever.

I haven’t seen Tron: Legacy, though, so no basis for comparison there. But I suspect these two films don’t really belong in the same conversation.

Speaking of CGI shaming, though, Rogue One (and presumably Mountain Between Us) deserves even more of that kind of shaming after seeing what BR: 2049 accomplishes in one pivotal scene. Amazing.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2017 09:51 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.112 seconds