October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
08 Nov 2017 21:18 #257313 by ChristopherMD

Black Barney wrote: Hey which xmen movie would you rather watch than Logan, mad dog? I can’t think of any for me, personally

The ones where the X-Men are doing superhero stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2017 22:34 #257321 by Shellhead

Mad Dog wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Hey which xmen movie would you rather watch than Logan, mad dog? I can’t think of any for me, personally

The X-Men don't really do superhero stuff anymore, even in the movies. See, Professor X is Martin Luther King and Magneto is Malcolm X, and mutants used to be a metaphor for black people but now they are a metaphor of LGBT folks. Most of their modern adventures revolve around fictional identity politics.

More
08 Nov 2017 23:03 #257323 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:

The X-Men don't really do superhero stuff anymore, even in the movies. See, Professor X is Martin Luther King and Magneto is Malcolm X, and mutants used to be a metaphor for black people but now they are a metaphor of LGBT folks. Most of their modern adventures revolve around fictional identity politics.

Jeeze, I just followed them because they blew shit up.

More
09 Nov 2017 00:12 #257330 by Jackwraith
Finally saw Baby Driver tonight. Ehhhh. I mean, it was entertaining to a certain degree, but I think Wright gave in to the "ACTION MOVIE" tropes a bit too much. The driving scenes were well-choreographed and well-executed, but cars falling from parking garages and exploding and Jon Hamm doing a Terminator schtick after the most obvious death scene in cinema resulting from a completely unnecessary bit of bravado (Are we supposed to believe that the woman is a badass, too, even though her role to this point has been nothing but a sex object? Uh, cool?) and... Yeah.

A lot of the performances were really off, too. I'm sorry, but Hamm doing the shaved blowback hairstlye does not make him a criminal. It makes him look goofy. And I have no patience for the kind of unreasonably violent and chaotic characters that Jamie Foxx was stuck with. You're telling me that this psychopath (not sociopath, which I could understand; the two are quite different) has somehow become successful enough in these hit jobs that someone as meticulous as Doc would hire him multiple times without seeing what a loose cannon he is? Or that said psychopath wasn't permanently locked up by now, since he does precisely what most top heist guys don't do, which is attract attention over petty shit? And, speaking of Spacey, he couldn't mail it in any harder than he did here. Top that off with the prototypical Hollywood happy ending (How does he get only 25 years for multiple armed robbery, multiple grand theft auto, multiple assault with a deadly weapon, murder, and a lifetime supply of reckless driving?) and I was actively suppressing my brain to keep watching.

The one real upside was the soundtrack. Attention, Guardians of the Galaxy fans: This is an actual film soundtrack. Give it a listen. I haven't heard Hocus Pocus in many years...

More
09 Nov 2017 11:25 #257345 by Gregarius
I haven't seen Thor yet, but I'm very excited to. I love Waititi's aesthetic and I'm hopeful he can bring some good fun to the franchise. As for the rest:

1) Logan - 9 - I really liked this one a lot, more than I expected to. I was a tad disappointed by the "big bad," but overall I loved how it embraced both the Western and Comic Book movie forms.

2) Spider-Man - 7 - I'm a little conflicted on this one. Plot-wise, it was pretty cookie-cutter generic superhero. But it's told with such heart and fun, that it just gave me a smile the whole time I watched it. An all-around solid film, but not great.

3) Wonder Woman - 7 - Mostly fantastic film ruined by the third act. It's probably actually tied with Spider-Man as far as ranking goes, but their problems are different. I was so disappointed by the need for WW to follow the superhero formula at the end, while it didn't phase me with Spidey.

4) Guardians 2 - 4 - Ugh, what a slog. I enjoyed the opening credits scene more than anything else in the entire movie. And yet, there was still 2+ hours to go. If they had instead decided to turn this property into an on-going television series, I think I would have enjoyed it more.

More
11 Nov 2017 19:47 #257489 by Gary Sax
Watched Thor this afternoon and really did not enjoy it much. It was... fine. But the jokes barely connected for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
11 Nov 2017 19:50 #257491 by Cranberries
I'm pretty sure Justice League will be terrible, but I'll go see it because it's literally the only way I can get my 17-year-old to interact with me, other than taking him out to eat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Nov 2017 20:03 #257493 by Black Barney
Lol good for you buddy

I’m glad I’m not at that point yet having to go to Disney on Ice. We’re still speaking well.

You’re making efforts and that’s what matters. It’ll be remembered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
11 Nov 2017 20:24 #257494 by Cranberries
I'm just glad I was able to merge the movies/positive complaining thread.

More
11 Nov 2017 20:33 #257495 by Black Barney
Now let’s merge the politics one to put mad dog on life tilt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
11 Nov 2017 22:26 #257497 by Gary Sax
The preview for Justice League before Thor looked dire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Gregarius

More
14 Nov 2017 23:08 #257665 by Shellhead
I underestimated Thor: Ragnorak. I heard that it was funny like the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but I never once laughed out loud during Guardians. During Thor: Ragnorak, I often smiled during the first third of the movie, but actually laughed during the middle section. Surprisingly, the movie also managed a certain epic grandeur along with a few emotions besides amusement. And the cast was loaded: Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Cate Blanchett, Idris Elba, Jeff Goldblum, Karl Urban, Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Hopkins, and Benedict Cumberbatch. Oh, and as a Veronica Mars fan, I was surprised and pleased to see Tessa Thompson in a significant role. I never thought that I would ever see Hulk, Dr. Strange, and Valkyrie all appear in the same movie, let alone that it would happen without being in a Defenders movie. Anyway, though long and a bit violent even by superhero movie standards, I think this is a fun and exciting movie for the whole family, though admittedly I don't have any kids.

More
14 Nov 2017 23:14 #257666 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: The preview for Justice League before Thor looked dire.

I had the same reaction when I saw the JL trailer before Blade Runner 2049. When I saw Thor today, there wasn't a trailer for Justice League. Another DC movie ruined by Zach Snyder, just like Batman vs. Superman:

They finally yanked Snyder off the Justice League movie and brought in Joss Whedon to inject some comic relief and re-shoot some scenes, but I expect that the overall effect will be a bad, awkward failure that will still turn a decent profit.

More
15 Nov 2017 13:57 - 15 Nov 2017 13:57 #257686 by Joebot

Shellhead wrote:
They finally yanked Snyder off the Justice League movie and brought in Joss Whedon to inject some comic relief and re-shoot some scenes, but I expect that the overall effect will be a bad, awkward failure that will still turn a decent profit.

I'm not Zack Snyder fan (far from it), but I think it's worth noting that nobody yanked Snyder off the Justice League movie. He quit in order to spend time with his family after his daughter committed suicide. So, Warner Bros/DC shouldn't get any sort of credit for finally realizing that Snyder makes garbage movies. If not for Snyder's own decision to step down, he'd still be making his garbage movies with the full support and blessing of the geniuses at Warner Bros/DC.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2017 13:57 by Joebot.

More
15 Nov 2017 15:51 #257693 by hotseatgames
yikes, that sucks

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.601 seconds