October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
03 Jan 2018 21:27 #260144 by ChristopherMD
I enjoy disaster flicks but Geostorm was SyFy Original level of bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2018 13:34 #260614 by Black Barney
Watched a bit of DEADPOOL Sunday evening. What a total blast of a movie. it breaks the fourth wall in a non-cheesy way. His whole take on Xavier's mansion always having the same two x-men (who were a blast btw), was hilarious. I really enjoyed it, need to see the whole thing.

More
09 Jan 2018 14:56 #260618 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: Watched a bit of DEADPOOL Sunday evening. What a total blast of a movie. it breaks the fourth wall in a non-cheesy way. His whole take on Xavier's mansion always having the same two x-men (who were a blast btw), was hilarious. I really enjoyed it, need to see the whole thing.

You’re killin’ me, Smalls. Seriously. You haven’t seen Deadpool? You need to do a review a la Neal, where you extrapolate the rest of the movie from you 15 minute sample.

More
10 Jan 2018 21:25 #260687 by jay718
Saw I, Tonya last week and was blown away. The acting was superb across the board, but Allison Janney really stood out and was more than deserved of her Golden Globe. The movie managed to be both horrifying and hilarious, often at the very same time. Fucking loved it. I went down a serious Tonya Harding google rabbithole afterwards. Just, wow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Black Barney

More
14 Jan 2018 08:48 #260879 by hotseatgames
Yesterday I attempted to watch Gerald's Game on Netflix. This is based on a Stephen King book that I did not read. I'll start by saying that this is a quality film, but I can only recommend it with caveats. The entire film is uncomfortable. Like every second, and scene by scene they either ratchet UP or DOWN just how uncomfortable they will make you.

In my adult years, I have become less and less tolerant of "realistic" gore. I'll watch the goofiness of The Thing all damn day, but nasty stuff happening to people... I can only handle so much. This film pushed me too far, and maybe in a different mood I could have stuck it out, but I had to cash it in before the end. Only strong stomachs need apply.

Applicants will get to see Elliot from E.T. all grown up, playing the main character's father.

More
14 Jan 2018 11:43 #260900 by SuperflyPete
I didn’t like it much.

More
14 Jan 2018 11:47 #260901 by SuperflyPete
Watched The Founder. Such a good flick. Ray Kroc was a visionary and the McDonald brothers were way too narrow minded.

Also, Kroc was a total cunt.

More
14 Jan 2018 18:51 #260940 by Black Barney
I’ll write a review Tuesday but guys, Paddington 2 was amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
14 Jan 2018 20:28 #260945 by Jackwraith

Black Barney wrote: Watched a bit of DEADPOOL Sunday evening. What a total blast of a movie. it breaks the fourth wall in a non-cheesy way. His whole take on Xavier's mansion always having the same two x-men (who were a blast btw), was hilarious. I really enjoyed it, need to see the whole thing.

Meh. If you've seen either of the trailers, you've basically seen all of the best lines in the movie. I think I actually laughed once when I was in the theater, precisely because I'd already done all of my laughing when the trailers came out and nothing else was really that funny. Deadpool is a lot like Ocean's Eleven: it's basically a vehicle for Ryan Reynolds to look cool. The only thing that the ensemble cast does in OE is look cool and try to hand scenes off to each other. That's it. There's really no story in the same way there wasn't in the original. It was just a way for the Rat Pack to look cool.

Same thing with Deadpool. Even when he's supposed to be anguished about his disease and his appearance and the girlfriend he can never fuck again, it's all just a set up for him to deliver lines that make him look cool. There's really not much story there which is the A #1 (King of New York!) flaw for any film, IMO. It was basically an excuse to do a Marvel film with actual sex and runaway profanity.

More
14 Jan 2018 21:24 #260949 by Shellhead

Jackwraith wrote:

Meh. If you've seen either of the trailers, you've basically seen all of the best lines in the movie. I think I actually laughed once when I was in the theater, precisely because I'd already done all of my laughing when the trailers came out and nothing else was really that funny. Deadpool is a lot like Ocean's Eleven: it's basically a vehicle for Ryan Reynolds to look cool. The only thing that the ensemble cast does in OE is look cool and try to hand scenes off to each other. That's it. There's really no story in the same way there wasn't in the original. It was just a way for the Rat Pack to look cool.

Same thing with Deadpool. Even when he's supposed to be anguished about his disease and his appearance and the girlfriend he can never fuck again, it's all just a set up for him to deliver lines that make him look cool. There's really not much story there which is the A #1 (King of New York!) flaw for any film, IMO. It was basically an excuse to do a Marvel film with actual sex and runaway profanity.

I saw Deadpool in the theater without seeing any trailers in advance, and I was very entertained. Your issue is more of a valid complaint about long modern trailers that give away too much information and all the best jokes, and not really a fair critique of Deadpool. The movie may not have done justice to the comic book character, but it seemed to successfully zero in on the part that people most enjoy about the comic character, which is the edgy humor.

More
14 Jan 2018 22:55 - 15 Jan 2018 09:47 #260951 by repoman
As of the first of the year, HBO Go is streaming all of the Harry Potter movies which has resulted in

The Great Harry Potter Film Festival

Wherein my wife and I watch all of the movies in order. It's been very entertaining.

General thoughts:

They hold up really well. The first one having come out 16 years ago and watching it on a large high def TV I thought some of the CGI might be a bit weak but except for a few things, generally when Harry is riding something and he himself is animated, it still looks great. All the great actors who played minor characters are really delightful too. One big gripe I have is that throughout the series I never quite buy into the romances. They never seem genuine.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: This is a stone cold classic. Standing tall as one of the greatest children's movies of all time. What a delightful fairy tale with characters you can't help but love. Chris Columbus, the director delivered his opus here.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Affection for the characters helps to carry this movie over some rough spots. There are a lot of Deus Ex Machina escapes in the story but as it's a kids movie it's more excusable than it otherwise would have been. The true problem I have is that it's too long. 2:40 min? Too much.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Chris Columbus is out and the new director Alfonso Cuaron is in. There must have been a lot of pressure to deliver but he sure did. I like this one a lot. Gary Oldman and David Thewlis really help make it fun. This is many people's favorite and with good reason. However I rank it third.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire : One of my least favorites. The kids are getting older but there is still a lot of affection for them. The story is just convoluted rubbish. How Harry gets included in the competition is dumb. Also, the director, Mike Newell, really blew it with the character of Cedric. We never really get to see that he is a great, honest, good guy. We never connect with him so when he gets snuffed what should be a devastating traumatic moment hasn't got the impact it should.

Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix: Mad Eye Moody and Professor Umbridge. These two characters alone are great. I like the reflection of pre WW2 Britain and its policy of appeasement. I love the kids taking matters into their own hands rather than waiting for the adults to do something. The death of Sirius Black has far more impact than Diggery's death did. I never could believe they didn't finagle him back to life but good on them for making the stakes of the battle legit.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: A lot of good things in this one. The movies' progression from kid film to teen film, while gradually happening all through the series becomes quite pronounced here. The plot is interesting but I still scratch my head about the potions book. Considering what happened in Chamber of Secrets, why would Harry ever mess around with a mystery book that seems to have all the answers? Been a long time since I read the books, was it explained why Snape considered himself the Half Blood Prince?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1: Without doubt the worst of the series. Utterly bleak, dragging, and without a hint of whimsy. The kids are growing up and have no cuteness left. It's just a drag all around. Maybe we did need a 2+ hour preface to the final film but I have to think there must have been a better way. Unenjoyable but perhaps necessary.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: Great if for no other reason that the "He's not worth it" chains finally come off and we can see our heroes confront our villains with no holds barred. Where part one was a dull slog, this one is tense and exciting with many moments deserving of cheering. Professor McGonagall unleashing a rapid fire assault on Snape, Neville blowing the bridge, even the stone soldiers marching out to defend the castle. A satisfying resolution to 10 years of movie going.

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 09:47 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, lj1983

More
15 Jan 2018 09:24 #260963 by Black Barney
I hate those movies except for Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows 2. They’re honestly the only ones I liked. :(

Still better than any of the Twilight nonesense.

More
15 Jan 2018 09:41 #260965 by repoman

Black Barney wrote: I hate those movies except for Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows 2. They’re honestly the only ones I liked. :(

Still better than any of the Twilight nonesense.

Good Lord. You didn't like the very first one? I'm sorry but your opinions are wrong and your emotions are wrong. Go to your room until you can think and feel differently.

More
15 Jan 2018 09:49 #260966 by repoman
One thing I didn't mention is just how fantastic the character of Snape is throughout the series. So well written and acted.

The dimwits writing those new Star Wars movies could take a lesson from these movies on how to write a truly conflicted character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, the_jake_1973

More
15 Jan 2018 10:32 - 15 Jan 2018 11:32 #260973 by Jackwraith
Given that there are precisely zero actors in the current batch of Star Wars films with the chops of Alan Rickman, that might be a tough task. But I agree that it's likely more of a screenplay issue. You can make a bad film out of a good screenplay. It's really tough to make a good film out of a bad screenplay. After all, Lucas managed to make actors like Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, and Ewan McGregor look like they couldn't act their way out of a paper bag.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 11:32 by Jackwraith.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.017 seconds