October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
15 Jan 2018 10:59 #260975 by Black Barney
Snape is amazing, and the Potter films have always been way better acted than any of the Star Wars stuff. Gary Oldman, Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Sir Ian, whoever played Dumbledore first... all are great

I think the first Harry Potter is the worst one. I dislike it more than the first Hollows and that’s saying something. It’s just clumsy and doesn’t know what it is yet. Also I end up getting so attracted to Emma Watson later on that I really hate watching the first two.

I think it has more to do with me being a Lord of the rings fan tho. I think we are hard wired to not like the Potter movies
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2018 11:01 #260976 by charlest
My wife and I tried Harry Potter for the first time a couple of years ago and I couldn't finish it. The first one really felt like a kid's movie (yes, I understand that's what it is) as it was very cheesy and the acting seemed somewhat poor. We plan on giving it another shot with our daughter soon.

I watched one of the weirdest films I've ever seen last night. The Lobster, a story about a dystopian future where single people need to check into a hotel and are turned into animals if they don't find a partner within 45 days, is pretty odd. It was entertaining though and some of the twists were horrifying in the most interesting of ways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
15 Jan 2018 11:10 - 15 Jan 2018 11:11 #260978 by RobertB
Black Barney wrote:

whoever played Dumbledore first...

Richard Harris. We were telling my daughter about A Man Called Horse, and when I saw him in the first Harry Potter movie a couple of days ago, I pointed out that he was the actor who played Horse.

As for the HP movies, I'm not a huge fan. I fall between my neighbor at work (bought a wand at the Harry Potter theme park), and charlest (couldn't finish it).
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 11:11 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 Jan 2018 11:36 #260980 by Jackwraith
I'm not a Harry Potter fan, either. They're OK, but nothing I would stop to watch again. I didn't read any of the books, either, but I recognize their obvious quality.

The Lobster is one of the best films of 2015. I'm a huge fan of both dystopian visions and black comedies and it's both. It was really well written and the cast clearly bought in to the story. I really liked it and my girlfriend, who is not really a movie person, thought it was great, especially for the line: "If you encounter any problems you cannot resolve yourself, you will be assigned children. That usually helps."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, charlest

More
15 Jan 2018 12:25 #260985 by Colorcrayons
The Lobster somehow reminded me of films I saw from the 60's and 70's. I can't quite put my finger on why. But I think the weird story, cinematography and set/costume design contribute jointly to that. I believe this is intentional. Like a Woody Allen movie with a much drier and darker sense of humor.

Loved that movie. And was even better to watch it without knowing anything about it going in to it. I agree that it is likely the best movie of 2015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Jan 2018 13:17 #260991 by SuperflyPete
The Lobster is a masterpiece.

More
18 Jan 2018 16:50 #261423 by Black Barney
Three Billboards was really great. I'll get a review up tomorrow morning hopefully. Very much this year's Manchester by the Sea but doesn't quite hit that same level. I was the only guy laughing the theatre which made me worry, was it not supposed to be funny? There were parts that were pretty funny.

Great flick.

More
18 Jan 2018 17:01 #261426 by Jackwraith
It's hysterically funny, except for those people that utterly lack a sense of humor. It's a black comedy. It's supposed to be funny AND shocking. If you let the shock overwhelm your sense of humor, you probably didn't appreciate the scene where Vince blows Marvin's head off in the car and he and Jules don't even react to the death but instead argue about the practical implications of it. That's black comedy ("Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.") I'm relatively certain that there are as many people who won't appreciate it in same way that many couldn't appreciate the non-linear storytelling of Pulp Fiction.

I thought it didn't quite hit the same spot as Manchester by the Sea because it was all very paint-by-numbers as far as the impact of each scene. The writer is a playwright and you could see that in the way that each scene functioned. It was very clear what point was being made in each location. Once that point was made, we moved on (lights came down, scenery is rearranged by the players, lights come up...) There wasn't any kind of real flow to the story that let you believe that it was something other than a series of very funny, well-written and -acted scenes. You were getting as much a series of dramatic points as an actual story. But that's how theater works sometimes and it doesn't always translate perfectly to film. I still think it was an excellent film and well worth seeing in the theater.

More
18 Jan 2018 18:54 #261440 by Michael Barnes
I am here to declare that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is the second funniest movie ever made after Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I've gotten stuck into a loop with it, I am watching it like every day. I've seen it plenty of times before of course, but lately it is has just really been speaking to me in new ways. If you want to try to get into my comedic headspace, you must see it and Pee Wee.

The bit with the tunnel still just blows me away. It's such a weird, psychedelic and surreal sequence. It's funny because kids don't seem to grasp how utterly freaky it is, what with chickens getting their heads cut off and all.

Wilder is just incredible in it. His mixture of mischief, cruelty, justice, passion, and genius is perfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SebastianBludd

More
18 Jan 2018 20:16 #261447 by SebastianBludd
That tunnel bit is amazing and it has one of my favorite all time movie lines and deliveries when Violet exclaims, "What is this, a freakout?!" My wife and I quote that to each other whenever a movie or TV show threatens to go off the rails being crazy for crazy's sake. As for Wilder, his character and choices in that role were pitch perfect, pretty much the opposite of whatever the fuck Johnny Depp was doing in that execrable remake.

I had my sons watch Lethal Weapon recently and I was surprised at how much conventional drama was in that film. Yeah, there's some over the top violence and gunplay (really, Riggs, are you sure that guy in the club you just perforated with your Beretta wasn't just a hapless waiter coming over to see what was going on?) but a lot of the film dealt with Riggs' mental state and how others in the department think he's crazy. Setting aside the fact that Mel Gibson is a human toilet, growing up watching this movie over and over I was always impressed by Gibson's performance, especially the scene when he's watching TV by himself late at night and contemplating suicide. And he was genuinely funny when he was annoying Murtaugh, too bad the sequels weren't very good.

Last night we watched the first Mission: Impossible and it wasn't as good as I remembered, but it was still goofy fun. First of all, the way technology is portrayed is hilarious ("SEND JAMMING SIGNAL") and I loved that Ethan Hunt's strategy for making contact with the arms dealer was to blindly send emails to people on usenet groups(!) dedicated to the Book of Job. But other than the Langley break-in and the short bit on top of the train at the end, it's pretty much a quaint, old-fashioned spy movie about moles and double-crosses. I've seen part 4 but none of the others so I think we're going to run the series and see how the sequels hold up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Jan 2018 09:54 #261471 by SuperflyPete
Watched this Franco movie “The Vault” on Netflix last night. Wasn’t too bad for a horror flick and had a bery Shyamalan-ey twist at the end which paid off for the slower spots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Jan 2018 10:00 #261474 by Black Barney
what was it about?

More
19 Jan 2018 13:19 #261510 by Gregarius
I saw I, Tonya last night. It's good, but not as great as it wants to be. It's got a wicked sense of humor, and it plays around a little with the idea of an unreliable narrator. I think it would have been better if it had more fully embraced that concept, ala American Splendor. Margot Robbie is pretty good, but it was hilarious (intentional?) to see her playing a 15-year-old girl. It also gets a little too conventional for most of the third act, dropping a lot of the fourth-wall breaking asides, which was a shame. Overall, it's worth checking out.

More
19 Jan 2018 13:49 #261521 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: what was it about?

www.imdb.com/title/tt1785635/

Robbery slash haunting flick.

More
19 Jan 2018 14:10 #261525 by Black Barney
that looks pretty good :)
Sounds like it's terrible though :(

Speaking of terrible, The Strangers is getting a sequel. That was a pretty bad movie which scared the crap out of me. I wonder if I'll watch the sequel.... I hope not :(

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.672 seconds