October 09, 2023
2478 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
06 Feb 2018 15:35 #263036 by Gregarius
Jeb, I liked Ragnarok a lot. Just like boothwah said, they tried to push the envelope (a little) on what a superhero movie could be. It still devolved into the big CGI fight at the end, but the journey there was so much fun that I forgave a lot.

Ant-Man is light fun, definitely worth a watch. The worst part about it (aside from the cliched plot) is that you can't help but get depressed thinking about how much better it would've been if they had left Edgar Wright at the helm. His touch is all over that film, but it's like eating generic colored rings cereal instead of Froot Loops.

Wonder Woman was good, but I kinda hated the third act. More CGI big battles, just like all the rest. At least they gave Diana a strong character with purpose.

Logan would still be my pick for best superhero movie of the last few years. Thor and Ant-Man pushed towards comedy, but Logan raised the bar for tragedy.

Oh yeah, and Spider-Man: Homecoming. I was surprised by how much I liked it, but it was still pretty forgettable.

Damn, that's a lot of superhero movies. I used to devour both movies and comics when I was a kid, so it's not surprising that I feel compelled to watch all of these types of movies when they come out. And for simple, popcorn-munching, blockbuster entertainment, you could do a lot worse. I'll take these fantastical, crazy, tights-wearing goofballs over Liam Neeson killing people on a train any day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2018 17:13 #263046 by Michael Barnes
As tired as I am of the superhero genre (which is, at this point, it's own thing on the level of "horror", "western", "crime", etc.) I would still rather watch Iron Man 2 (!) than just about any movie where people argue about their relationship, indulge in murder fantasies, ply tired ass gangster shit, or where somebody's dad is dying.

I do really wish that superhero movies would get away from the big CGI fight at the end...it's hackneyed and it never looks as apocalyptic or awesome as I guess it is supposed to. This is one of the reasons Logan was so powerful- it was a story arc that relied on small, quiet moments and character introspection more than the big battle to end all battles. It didn't even really have the ULTIMATE BADGUY like they all do.

Ragnarok worked so well because it was so unexpected...it does have this goofy, NZ charm that Taika Watiti brought to it and you'd never think that would work with THOR of all things. But there it is.

If Edgar Wright had done Ant-Man, I think it would have been a much better film. It's OK as is, but it really should have been his.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Nodens

More
06 Feb 2018 17:26 #263049 by Nodens
Agreed, but then we might not have gotten to see Baby Driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2018 17:34 #263050 by Black Barney
I don’t want to see innovative directors wasted on these comic book movies

...except for Nolan.

...and whoever did Logan

More
06 Feb 2018 18:10 - 06 Feb 2018 18:13 #263056 by ChristopherMD
Here are my Top 5 Superhero Movies of 2017 based on how many times I've sat and watched them.

1 - Thor: Ragnarok
2 - Wonder Woman
3 - Logan - Doesn't get a lot of views but unlike everything else on my list it will age like a fine wine.
4 - Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
5 - Spider-Man: Homecoming
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 18:13 by ChristopherMD.

More
06 Feb 2018 18:16 #263057 by Shellhead
Logan towers over all other comic book movies in quality. I don't know that I would enjoy repeat viewings as much, but the one time I saw it was amazing.

Thor: Ragnorak was fun, but as a long-term Thor fan, it bothers me that some of my favorite Asgardian supporting characters got whacked in an otherwise light-hearted romp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
11 Feb 2018 00:56 #263377 by SuperflyPete
Watched the prequels. Don’t judge me.

THIS SAYS IT ALL

More
11 Feb 2018 09:37 #263380 by Black Barney
lol, backgammon almost killed me

I like Bill Murray in the closing shot. A man of many talents

I’m gonna have that song in my head all day now that I finally know the lyrics. Total, Xena, Panda, race car...

More
11 Feb 2018 11:31 #263383 by Pat II
I ran out of interest in Superhero movies a long time ago. Ill watch them with my kids once in a while. We do go to the cinema to catch the odd one. We might go to see infinity wars for example. Star Wars has completely lost its lustre now after having seen the latest one in the theatres. There were too many unforgivable moments in that film that just compounded the ridiculousness of TFA that I am done. I forgave TFA because it was a long time coming but now I really need to put these with Shreck, Finding Nemo and all if the other children movies and classify them as such. This way you can have the nugget of adult content to keep you busy while you bring the kids and enjoy yourself watching children movies. I was 5 when I saw Star Wars in the cinema and it was best viewed that way.

I cant even play games in the Star Wars universe because it is portrayed so far from any sort of military reality or even well thought out science fiction that it makes GW 40k bolter and lasgun ranges more realistic.

My kids are getting too old to enjoy these as well so Ill have to wait for grandkids to get giddy over superhero movies or Star Wars again.

I believe that we do have the capacity to write and create more engaging original stories to captivate multi generational audiences that dont include Disney products such as Marvel and Star Wars. The DC films just blow on so many levels too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
11 Feb 2018 12:43 #263387 by jay718
Give the DC animated flicks a shot Pat. Theee are some clunkers to be sure, but by and large they're pretty great and a ton of fun.

More
11 Feb 2018 14:08 #263392 by Cranberries
I saw I Tonya with my wife. I was going to school in Portland when this all went down, and she is from Portland and thinks that Tonya was set up by Gillooly. It's a great show about poor white people in Portland from the early nineties, and we recognized a lot. It was also a good movie. Heart/Brain 8/6.5

When she landed the triple I looked over and my wife was tearing up and so was I. Unexpected.

More
11 Feb 2018 14:29 - 11 Feb 2018 14:31 #263395 by Shellhead
When I was younger, I was an avid fan of the Olympics. When Nancy Kerrigan was attacked, I knew enough about Olympian level figure skating that I knew Tonya Harding had to be somehow involved in the incident. Some years later, I had a co-worker who skated at the national level but never quite good enough for the Olympic team. She sometimes worked as a judge at major skating events. She had the same reaction when the Kerrigan incident happened.

Now when I think of Tonya Harding, I think of this classic sketch from SNL:

www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/we...g-match/n11580?snl=1
Last edit: 11 Feb 2018 14:31 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
11 Feb 2018 20:19 #263412 by Sevej
So, I was kinda bored. And in the last few weekends, spent time with the wifey watching sci-fi "young adult" books adaptations. All of them. Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runners. All shares the same "post-apocalyptic" background. All features young, good looking people as heroes & heroines. There are bits of silliness in each's premise. All also took a bit of story turn after the first movie (interestingly they all turn to the same direction). All was kinda... okay.

Hunger Games was so bleak, but I kind of like it on the emotional level. The end was good, if a bit unsatisfying. But having watched (and read) Battle Royale, it felt so toned down (obviously not so to my wife). Once it turns to the classic resistance story, it's a bit meh.

Maze Runners begins interestingly, looks good, but the second movie was so different than the first (and it was rote, compared to the first). Still waiting for the last.

Divergent looks the best. Post apocalypse looks amazing here, but I can't help but feel that the premise was extremely stupid. There's something weird with this movie. It's as if good film makers had to work with the silliest story. The movie feels good, but stupid.

More
11 Feb 2018 20:36 #263413 by Black Barney
Divergent is my least favourite of the three but Maze Runner is pretty awful. At least the chick is cute

More
11 Feb 2018 20:37 #263414 by ChristopherMD
Hunger Games gets dumber the further it goes just like the books. The 3rd movie was like a filler episode.
Maze Runner I watched the first and just couldn't get into the world at all.
Divergent had the most promise. The first movie is like one long training montage. The second has decent action and wisely "diverges" from the books. Never watched the 3rd and don't plan to. 3rd book sucked and the 2nd movie ends fine enough.

The 100 tv show is also YA post-apoc book series based and better than any of those movies, imo.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds