October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
22 Apr 2018 19:00 #267994 by SuperflyPete
The girl with all the gifts (iirc the name right) was an excellent zombie movie in that it was far different and looked at zombies from a different angle.

Shape of Water > Pan’s Labyrinth 10 of 10 times. Far more entertaining.

A Quiet Place fails because it’s a really dumb premise. If I were dude, I’d have dug a deep pit and put something like a music box at the bottom. Draw the fuckers to it and watch them die on pungi sticks.

There’s maybe 500 things I can think of off the top of my head. Get on a roof of a house you soaked with gasoline and drop a firecracker pack down the chimney and when they go inside to hunt the sound, burn the house down.

Or, more simple, just build a tree stand 20’ up with a rope ladder, then draw them and shoot them. That will draw them for miles. Once they’re all dead, you’re safe. Then just set up some wind chimes a few miles away and let the wind draw them away from your safe place.

An underground house would be perfect to muffle sound. Why not take up residence in the bottom basement of a hospital? No ways in but the elevator shaft. 30’ drop. Put spikes at the bottom. Chill in peace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2018 19:10 #267995 by Black Barney
I’m okay with Shape of Water being better than Pans Labyrinth. I’m just not okay with Pans Labyrinth being a 7/10. I mean COME ON
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
22 Apr 2018 19:34 #268000 by SebastianBludd

SuperflyTNT wrote: A Quiet Place fails because it’s a really dumb premise.

When I saw the scene in the preview where the son is playing with an electronic robot that turns on when the family is trying to sneak through hostile territory, I knew the movie wasn't for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
22 Apr 2018 21:16 #268005 by Cranberries

Shellhead wrote:

Jackwraith wrote: Just got back from Isle of Dogs. I'm a Wes Anderson fan and my favorite of his is Moonrise Kingdom... and maybe that's where I had a bit of a problem with this film. I enjoyed it and liked all the usual Anderson aspect: high attention to detail, tiny jokes that you have to be quick to catch, quirky characters that are nonetheless quite human (canine?), etc. But I really feel like I've been here before. In fact, this felt a lot like an animated retelling of what is essentially the same plot of both Moonrise and Grand Budapest Hotel. There's nothing wrong with that. I guess I was just hoping for something a little less obvious.

Also, the Tracy Walker character was rather jarringly "white savior" (outsider who saves the passive natives from themselves.) I don't think it would have been very difficult to translate (ahem) that character into the surrounding culture, such that it was simply young people, like the human star, Atari, who pushed society to change, rather than the Japanese boy being the iconoclast and the Westerner having to motivate everyone else to join in.

So, worth seeing, but perhaps worth waiting for Netflix or whatever.

I burned out on Wes Anderson last year. I saw Rushmore first, which was great and ruined me a bit for everything else he has done. Then I saw The Life Aquatic, and that was pretty good. But I was annoyed and disappointed by The Darjeeling Limited, Bottle Rocket, and The Royal Tenenbaums. I slept through most of Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Moonrise Kingdom just didn't work for me. I really want to like all his movies, because I like his visual style, but he keeps substituting quirkiness for character, and the plots usually feel more inevitable than interesting. I will eventually give his other movies a try and even watch Fantastic Mr. Fox again to see what I missed, but I think I need to wait a couple more years.

I saw Isle of Dogs this weekend and made another couple watch it with us. Everyone liked it. Prior to the show I took a St. John's Wort pill and some L-theanine, and I'd just been grading for four hours, so I was sort of in a haze the hole movie, and having trouble focusing on all the dry bits of humor zooming by. I think I need to watch it again. I feel asleep in the middle for about two minutes, but that's because we were at the theater with the leather recliners.

More
23 Apr 2018 09:17 #268027 by charlest
I'm a MoviePass member now which means I'm seeing shit I wouldn't normally see.

I have no connection Ready Player One so don't care how they changed it from the book. This film, however, was kind of just there. It felt like a combination of Wreck It Ralph and Willy Wonka, but not as good as either. Basically, it rode on the thousands of references to 80s films and video game culture. The story lacked passion and I kind of didn't care about anyone. Cheesy Spielberg ending as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries, Black Barney, Gregarius

More
23 Apr 2018 11:16 #268041 by Gregarius
I just got my MoviePass this weekend, and I'm itching to try it out. Ready Player One is likely to be my first view.

More
23 Apr 2018 11:41 #268045 by charlest
I'm loving it (MoviePass) thus far. A Quiet Place was my first go at it a couple of weekends ago, and now RP1 this past weekend.

If you see two movies a month, it's totally worth it. There's something kind of liberating about it not really costing you money to take a chance. I would have been pretty disappointed if I spent $10 on RP1, for instance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Apr 2018 11:50 #268047 by SuperflyPete
Just watched Children of Men again and it’s still a fantastic film.

I can’t say enough about how they got the gunfire and “battle”’scenes right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Black Barney, charlest

More
23 Apr 2018 13:20 #268052 by Shellhead

SuperflyTNT wrote: Just watched Children of Men again and it’s still a fantastic film.

I can’t say enough about how they got the gunfire and “battle”’scenes right.

I liked everything about Children of Men except for the fundamental concept of the setting. In reality, the biggest crisis facing our planet right now is human overpopulation, the driving force behind climate change, loss of biodiversity, and a fair amount of current warfare. In my lifetime, we have gone from a human population of 3 billion to our current 7.5 billion, with no sign of stopping. The problem would be even worse right now if the people in China and India hadn't been abusing medical tech to select for male children. So basing a science-fiction movie on the opposite of our biggest problem made for a difficult suspension of disbelief on my part.

More
23 Apr 2018 14:04 #268054 by SuperflyPete
Popultion density, not overpopulation, but I get what you’re saying.

More
27 Apr 2018 15:30 #272071 by ChristopherMD
Avengers 3 was everything I wanted it to be and more. Every character was utilized well and it really felt like the culmination of all the previous movies leading to it.

More
27 Apr 2018 15:49 #272072 by hotseatgames
I watched Logan Lucky on amazon prime. It was average at best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Apr 2018 16:58 #272078 by Gregarius
I saw Isle of Dogs a couple of days ago, and it was decidedly meh. The animation was fantastic, but the story and the characters were completely flat. The whole thing felt sterile and cold, in addition to the usual "quirky." There were moments that were clearly intended to pull at the heart-strings that just did nothing for me.

I'm not a huge fan of Wes Anderson. I like a few of his films, but not all, and I've never really understood the devotion people have to Rushmore. I imagine this one will please a large section of his devotees and possibly no one else.

More
27 Apr 2018 17:02 #272079 by Gregarius
I used my MoviePass for the first time for Isle of Dogs, and it worked great without a hitch. However, just this morning I read that they are planning to change the way it works. Currently, you can watch a movie a day with few restrictions. Going forward, they may limit it to just four movies a month, and disallow repeat viewings of some titles.

For me, it still works out to be a good deal, but I am disappointed I didn't get to enjoy the freewheeling, Wild West aspect of the deal a little longer. I remember reading about it almost a year ago, but I didn't choose to opt in. Bummer!

More
28 Apr 2018 11:35 #272142 by Black Barney
Rewatched all of Rogue One on vacation and it was fantastic.

Rewatched parts of Black Panther and Last Jedi as well. Tried to rewatch all of Flight of the Navigatir but didn’t make it through. It’s still pretty good

On the plane back I rewatched all of Dunkirk on my phone and it was amazing still. Had to pick between that and Three Billboards, really tough

That airline was nuts how they do movies. While on the ground you need to download a specific app (they have more than one depending on the plane you are in) and then you have to download all the movies and tv shows you plan to watch before boarding. Nuts.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.708 seconds