October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
01 Feb 2016 00:48 - 01 Feb 2016 00:48 #221224 by daveroswell
I just watched Life Itself, the Roger Ebert documentary. Ebert helped the director until the very end. Very powerful film, but often heartbreaking and painful to watch. Still, I recommend everyone here to see it once.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2016 00:48 by daveroswell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2016 02:43 #221227 by Cranberries
I just finished "Steve Jobs." It had some great lines and Sorkian dialogue, but felt kind of like an episodic slide show of sorts. I liked it, but it wasn't the movie I wanted it to be.

More
03 Feb 2016 11:07 #221553 by Erik Twice
Watched Le Samourai. It's a great film! I don't think I'm able to say why it is so engrossing but it really is. Kept me glued to the screen the whole time.

The only problem I had with it is that I was watching it to practice my French and it barely has any dialogue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
03 Feb 2016 13:51 #221582 by Gregarius
I love Le Samourai!

Of course, now you're contractually obligated to watch Le Cercle Rouge as well.

More
03 Feb 2016 17:02 - 03 Feb 2016 17:04 #221615 by Erik Twice

Gregarius wrote: I love Le Samourai!

Hahaha, you are the second person who tells me to watch that film. And I like the sound of it, so I probably will. I think I'm a sucker for this kind of "storytelling through great shots" films so why not? I mean, doesn't the heist in the movie take like 20 dialogue-less minutes or something like that? It sounds fun!

The big problem for me is finding the films with actual French subtitles and getting them to run on my phone so I can watch them on the metro. It's far more difficult than it looks at first glance. And yeah, it's kind of a shame to watch films like that instead of a big screen but it's the best way I have to watch films.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2016 17:04 by Erik Twice.

More
03 Feb 2016 17:15 #221618 by Gregarius

Erik Twice wrote:

Gregarius wrote: I love Le Samourai!

Hahaha, you are the second person who tells me to watch that film. And I like the sound of it, so I probably will. I think I'm a sucker for this kind of "storytelling through great shots" films so why not? I mean, doesn't the heist in the movie take like 20 dialogue-less minutes or something like that? It sounds fun!

No, that one is Rififi. Also excellent, but quite different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
03 Feb 2016 17:34 - 03 Feb 2016 17:38 #221620 by Erik Twice

Gregarius wrote: No, that one is Rififi. Also excellent, but quite different.

Oh yeah, you are right! I saw a "trailer" of that one and it looked really fun so I should watch it too.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2016 17:38 by Erik Twice.

More
04 Feb 2016 08:35 #221643 by Black Barney

Erik Twice wrote: Watched Le Samourai. It's a great film! I don't think I'm able to say why it is so engrossing but it really is. Kept me glued to the screen the whole time.

The only problem I had with it is that I was watching it to practice my French and it barely has any dialogue.

Watch The Class next for your French. Fantastic.

And since David Bowie has been relevant, you can try C.R.A.Z.Y. For some Quebec French if you want.

More
04 Feb 2016 09:19 - 17 Feb 2016 15:46 #221649 by Cranberries

Black Barney wrote:

Erik Twice wrote: Watched Le Samourai. It's a great film! I don't think I'm able to say why it is so engrossing but it really is. Kept me glued to the screen the whole time.

Watch The Class next for your French. Fantastic.

And since David Bowie has been relevant, you can try C.R.A.Z.Y. For some Quebec French if you want.

Army of Shadows . Same director, 8.2/10, so many great shots, and Nazi killing by the French resistance. I'm pretty sure there is French dialogue.

Because he worked in the Resistance (and because he was working from a well-informed 1943 Joseph Kessel novel), Melville knew that life for a fighter was not a series of romantic scenes played in trench coats, but ambiguous everyday encounters that could result in death. After Gerbier escapes from Gestapo headquarters, he walks into a barber shop to have his mustache removed. The barber has a poster of Petain on his wall. Not a word is said between the two men. A sweating man at night who wants his mustache removed is a suspect. As Gerbier pays and readies to leave, the barber simply hands him an overcoat of another color.

--Roger Ebert

There were complaints it made the resistance look like brutal gangsters. When the film was shown to actual members of the resistance, they supposedly were all "Yep. That was it." Mieville did say, however, that the only realistic shot in the movie is the opening scene of marching Nazis on the champs de elysee (sp?) for which he had to get a special permit, because the wearing of a German uniform was illegal.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 15:46 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Erik Twice

More
04 Feb 2016 16:09 #221708 by Erik Twice

Black Barney wrote: Watch The Class next for your French. Fantastic.

Oh yeah, it has been on my list since you mentioned it. I just haven't found it subtitled yet.

More
04 Feb 2016 16:39 #221714 by Black Barney
Yeah only see it subtitled (in French it's called ENTRE LES MURS I think). I mean I speak pretty good French and I couldn't understand a word they were saying. I desperately needed the subtitles to know what "pétasse" was

More
05 Feb 2016 09:00 #221772 by Legomancer
My wife and I were tired last night so we just sat back and watched Galaxy Quest. What a great, fun movie. But man, the perpetual nerd argument that we need to have a "real" Galaxy Quest show is some of the dumbest dumb in dumbtown.

More
06 Feb 2016 02:42 #221846 by Grudunza
Hail, Caesar!: At times, it seems like it wants to be a bit of a screwball comedy, but never quite gets there. Or rather, doesn't consistently keep that feel. But even though it's not greater than the sum of its parts, it is still quite a fun collection of parts. It's kind of a love letter to 50's Hollywood, with some meta commentary on the Coens work and movies as a commodity. Some great production numbers that feature tangentially to the plot, and some hilarious scenes including Ralph Fiennes as a director trying to coach a bad actor, Jonah Hill as a very clever "person" (makes sense in context), a group of religious leaders discussing whether the film will offend their flocks, an increasingly homoerotic dance number, etc. I loved a lot of little moments throughout, and like any Coen comedy, the word "quirky" is an obvious way to describe it. Not their best work, but mostly very good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Cranberries

More
07 Feb 2016 14:10 - 07 Feb 2016 14:13 #221911 by Erik Twice
I had never seen it but for some reason I wanted to watch The Truman Show and I really liked it. It's one of those "science-fiction what ifs" that aren't actually about science or fiction but simply about interesting hypotheticals. I would call it a parable, except that it's not about morals, it's about what we can make out of it. One can use it to think about Christianty, about the power of media, about privacy and about finding's one place in the world and it really left me wanting to discuss it.

It may also seem silly or obvious, but something I really appreciated about it is that it's a good film. Too often all these "what ifs" are muddled because the author decided to add some silly geekery on top of a good premise, like clones, psychic powers or BDSM. You are all well-read on sci-fi so you know all the examples. Well, those issues are not found here: The photography is great, the script is tight and Carrey's performance is both believable and fun.

My only issue with the film is that sometimes it's a bit too on the nose. Not because of its themes or anything, but because the way some ideas are shown is a bit abrupt. The producers could have been a bit more competent (specially Meryl) and while sailing off in a ship called Santa María and literally piercing the heavens didn't bother me, I admit the shots of the eagle (so as to represent freedom) did. The ending line, that "What else is on?" also came out a bit forced, pacing-wise which is a shame because it's a sharp one.

Still, it does really leave you with some quesitons. After all, in this age of social media aren't we all a bit of a Truman? And the whole "sure, it's wrong but you are tuning in anyways" angle? That stuff resonated with me.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2016 14:13 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Gregarius

More
08 Feb 2016 10:54 #221960 by Gregarius
I want to like The Truman Show a lot more than I actually do, but I do like it. It definitely does give you a lot to chew on. I like that you pointed out how many different ways you can read the "message" of the movie. That's always a strong positive for me, when you can interpret a work multiple ways.

This will sound weird, but I've always sort of thought of it as a flip-side of Brazil. Truman Show is sunnier and more obviously comedic, but they're both really kind of dark and cynical, yet somehow contain hope. The main characters are both trapped in an oppressive world designed to keep them contained, but only Sam Lowry is aware of his predicament. Both characters are spurned to break out of the norm by their love for a woman who breaks the rules.

What I like most about the premise of Truman Show is how preposterous and yet believable it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.833 seconds