October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
19 Feb 2016 10:18 #222831 by Jexik
Saw Deadpool on Sunday and liked it a ton the first time. Saw it second time on Wednesday and most of my loud laughs were replaced with smiles. I caught a few lines and visual gags that had zipped by me the first time, but it was much less enjoyable. I kind of wished I just saw it the once since it left such an impression with me that night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2016 12:02 #222844 by Gregarius

Erik Twice wrote: I watched two more movies:

The Big Lebowsky: Even though it has an increasingly complex plot, this is not a film about anything in particular. Rather, it's more about an attitude, a way of seeing life than anything else. Which I think is really interesting and fun but, sadly, I don't think I'm the audience for this. I was left a bit...confused, not feeling I quite got the film. I had a similar experience with Fargo which I attributed to me not understanding its very American context but it might be I just don't get Cohen Brother films. Kind of a shame, really.

Big Lebowski is one of my all-time favorites, but I totally get how people don't care for it.

A lot of the "lack of plot" comes from the whole noir detective genre. If you're interested, The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart is a great place to start, then The Long Goodbye with Elliot Gould is a remake/satire of that, which then leads into Big Lebowski. However, you don't need to know any of that to just appreciate the goofiness of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
20 Feb 2016 07:59 #222887 by Legomancer
Watched 1776, first one on my 2016 Movies to Watch list. It's a lot of fun, but the songs are real clunkers.

More
20 Feb 2016 08:27 #222888 by KingPut

Legomancer wrote: Watched 1776, first one on my 2016 Movies to Watch list. It's a lot of fun, but the songs are real clunkers.

I liked 1776 but on my playlist I have Hamilton followed by 1776. 1776 sounds so dated vs. Hamilton that I can't listenn too it.

More
20 Feb 2016 08:32 #222889 by KingPut

Jexik wrote: Saw Deadpool on Sunday and liked it a ton the first time. Saw it second time on Wednesday and most of my loud laughs were replaced with smiles. I caught a few lines and visual gags that had zipped by me the first time, but it was much less enjoyable. I kind of wished I just saw it the once since it left such an impression with me that night.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Scott Pilgram and even Speed Racier I laughted more the 2 and 3 viewing then then1st. I walked out of Deadpool thinking, yeah that was fun and enjoyable but I can careless if I ever see this or Deadpool 2 ever again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
20 Feb 2016 09:23 #222890 by ChristopherMD
Watched Cool Runnings again last night. This movie just never gets old for me. Definitely my favorite sports movie and one of my favorite Disney movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Feb 2016 11:03 #222893 by Grudunza
Saw the Witch last night (or, I suppose, The VVitch). Definitely a unique entry in the horror genre. I fear this may suffer for an expectation that it's more "horror" than it actually is, when a lot of it is more drama and psychological in nature. That being said, there are some very disturbing and spine-tingling parts. But it works really well in a sense of this family coming unglued and each wondering if they are the cause. Reminds me of The Shining in terms of some of the style and shot choices, and the score is very similar to 2001, so a heavy Kubrick influence. I felt like the conclusion was telegraphed just a little too strongly... I saw that coming pretty early on. But it's not like it's a twist or big mystery or anything, so it still works well enough, and does play out in a way that is really creepy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Feb 2016 18:02 #222901 by Shellhead
The Witch was intense. Very heavy immersion in the setting, with total commitment to costume, sets, and even dialogue. In fact, there were times when I had a bit of trouble with the dialogue because of archaic phrasing and also the nervous guy behind me who kept tapping his feet. (I shut him down eventually with a creepy stage whisper of "stop tapping your feet.") Anyway, like Grudunza said, there is a lot of psychological horror at work, and the bleak rural setting was like a main character in the movie. Everybody did a fine job with the acting, especially the kids. During the quietest parts of the movie, the audience went dead silent, waiting anxiously for whatever came next. Some people in the audience were audibly unhappy with the ending, but I thought that it was appropriate. I'm not sure if I could call The Witch one of my top ten horror movies of all time, but it's pretty damn good.

More
20 Feb 2016 18:32 #222903 by Michael Barnes
God damn it I want to see that movie.

More
20 Feb 2016 18:35 #222904 by Michael Barnes
I mean The Witch, not Cool Runnings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, scrumpyjack

More
20 Feb 2016 18:46 #222905 by hotseatgames
I saw Deadpool. It was a ton of fun. I do think it may not age very well, since it had a lot of very time period specific references, but I did appreciate that it was very much made for adults of a certain age.

More
20 Feb 2016 19:34 #222907 by Feelitmon
The Witch really is a damn fine horror movie. In hindsight, the cookie cutter trailers that we saw in front of it for cookie cutter horror movies really point out how different and confident The Witch is. It doesn't rely on jump scares but instead uses music, pacing, writing, and acting to get under your skin. I mean, this is a movie where you get creeped out by a rabbit. Not a gross, demonic rabbit, not a rabbit chewing through people's necks... just a rabbit. If a movie can do that then imagine what it's going to do with heavier stuff.

And The Witch does get to that heavier stuff. I wouldn't dare spoil anything even though it's not one of those horror movies that depends on a shocking twist. But several things that are normally off limits in feature films are very much in play here. The night I saw it there were a couple of scenes that made the audience uncomfortable enough that I heard defense mechanism tittering here and there.

I did find the language hard to understand at times, mainly when a character was quickly reciting a prayer. Normal conversation and so forth was fine although I admit it's probably just short of needing subtitles. Other than that, the main criticisms that I've heard about it are that it is unrelentingly grim (which is true--it's one of those movies) and that it is predictable. I disagree with the latter. While the overall arc of the story was pretty much in line with "a New England folktale," the movie still surprised me over and over again. So anyway, it gets my hearty recommendation provided that you are in the mood for a well made, disturbing, creepy, but not necessarily scary horror movie. Definitely not a popcorn flick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
20 Feb 2016 21:07 - 20 Feb 2016 21:14 #222913 by Grudunza
That rabbit!! Shudder...

As far as the language, I do look forward to seeing it again on DVD with subtitles. But for the most part, the important plot elements and dramatic moments were understandable.

The director of The Witch is apparently making a Nosferatu remake. Normally I'd scoff at that being remade, but I think in his hands it might be great.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2016 21:14 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
21 Feb 2016 18:52 #222949 by Shellhead
Deadpool was enjoyable. Not as funny as I was led to expect, but still pretty funny. Fortunately, it also had some great action and even a decent love story. As others have noted, Morena Baccarin hasn't aged a day since the Firefly tv show, and still looks amazing. Ryan Reynolds was basically born to play this character, though there were a couple of easter eggs regarding his other comic book movie roles, in Green Lantern and Blade: Trinity. This movie is also the best Colossus movie ever for you diehard X-fans, and a discarded Grant Morrison character (Negasonic Teenage Warhead) was brought back as a female version of Havok. Veteran B-movie actrress/stuntwoman Gina Carano plays a very credible badguy. Without makeup or costume, she really looks like somebody who could trade punches with Colossus.

Personal footnote: just after the movie, I went to the theater bathroom to take a piss, along with various other movie patrons. To my immediate right was the little boy's urinal, and this short, stocky middle-aged dude stepped up to take a piss. It sounded like he was using a garden hose at full velocity, and I was so keyed up from Deadpool that I couldn't help laughing. Out loud. It was that kind of funnier than it should be laughter that only bubbles up in the most inappropriate situations, like a funeral. I give the movie credit for being that funny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob

More
22 Feb 2016 10:25 - 22 Feb 2016 10:43 #222975 by Grudunza
The Witch has legs. Meaning, I'm still thinking about it a few days later, and have found different meanings to things. And it continues to disturb me.

By contrast, Deadpool was very fun and almost instantly forgotten.

Both have their place, I suppose, but compared to The Witch, Deadpool is like empty calories.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2016 10:43 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.568 seconds