October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
01 Apr 2016 13:11 #225106 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote: You'd think that the first section being about how Jesus is fake would have tipped me off but nope, I kept going.

This is actually a pretty hotly debated topic in the skeptic community. I'd be curious to hear if he actually presented any credible level of argument in either direction. Given his other chosen topics I'd guess he didn't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2016 15:36 #225121 by Legomancer

Sagrilarus wrote:

Legomancer wrote: You'd think that the first section being about how Jesus is fake would have tipped me off but nope, I kept going.

This is actually a pretty hotly debated topic in the skeptic community. I'd be curious to hear if he actually presented any credible level of argument in either direction. Given his other chosen topics I'd guess he didn't.

It was the usuals: lack of contemporary documentation, similarities to other biographies of religious figures, pagan origins blah blah. Nothing you haven't heard before.

More
01 Apr 2016 16:22 - 01 Apr 2016 16:23 #225125 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

It was the usuals: lack of contemporary documentation, similarities to other biographies of religious figures, pagan origins blah blah. Nothing you haven't heard before.

The more modern discussions speak to Jesus in one of four forms -- mere mortal, began mortal then rose, spiritual only (angelic in nature from day one) or simply never existed. Remarkably, a lot of theologians and religious studies experts, mostly Christians, endorse the first or the third options. That's why I was asking. The Skeptical perspective is the fourth of course, looking for corroboration from any source other than the Bible which mumbles more than a bit on the nature of the man.

Sounds like it's worth skipping this one in spite of the subject.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2016 16:23 by Sagrilarus.

More
03 Apr 2016 22:07 - 03 Apr 2016 22:08 #225158 by Shellhead
The people who made the Underworld movies also made I, Frankenstein. The main character is the Frankenstein Monster, and the story picks up just after where the book left off. And then the movie abruptly takes a startling new adventure, as the monster finds himself in the middle of an ongoing conflict between gargoyles and demons.

At first, I, Frankenstein seemed somewhat worse than the Underworld movies. The production values were comparable, making for a visually interesting movie, but the acting and dialogue were not even as good as in Underworld. However, I, Frankenstein gradually reveals itself to be a deeper movie. It turns out that the demons have a very good reason to be interested in the monster, though there is equal focus on the monster seeking a purpose to his life without taking sides in the overall conflict. I can't quite say that this was a good movie, but it was an okay movie that had some good points and even one good line. If you liked Underworld, or you want to enjoy the novelty of a movie featuring gargoyles, you should definitely see I, Frankenstein.

EDIT: upon further reflection, I can't think of a better movie about the Frankenstein Monster. This one is an unconventional take, but it really does a decent job of addressing and building upon Shelley's ideas.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2016 22:08 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
04 Apr 2016 08:49 #225167 by Legomancer
I made a Letterboxd account, and entered (I think) all the movies I've seen since 2014.

letterboxd.com/davelartigue/

60 over the past two-and-a-bit years. That a LOT for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Black Barney

More
04 Apr 2016 11:10 #225179 by Grudunza
That's a good site. Better to track stuff with than my Notes app. I followed you and signed up: letterboxd.com/grudunza/ . Doubt I have the patience to add everything I've seen since 2014, but it'll help going forward, at least.

More
04 Apr 2016 11:20 #225180 by Black Barney
I tried making an account but the server keeps failing to respond. I think I screwed up the anti-robot question where I had to complete a movie quote. It was something from 2001: A Space Odyssey and the quote was "Open the pod bay doors, _____"

I said "please"

More
04 Apr 2016 11:40 #225183 by Legomancer
The quote thing didn't work for me, I switched it to a normal Captcha

For me, adding 2014- was easy because 99% of it is on Netflix and I found the DVD/Watch Instantly history thing. I also had things on my blog and Twitter and FB reminding me. I may have missed a Redbox movie or two.

More
06 Apr 2016 10:28 #225368 by Black Barney
Man, I've been on a real binge of movie-watchin' lately. I'm tempted to see Eye in the Sky today. And I'd like to see The Lobster too. I hope I'm not writing too many reviews. I really should aim at one a week but it's just been a good climate lately to see lots of movies.

I also discovered that $4 popcorn at a repertory cinema is better than $7 popcorn at a mainstream cinema. Both are smalls, btw.

Anyone see Midnight Special yet? I'm DYING to see that.

More
06 Apr 2016 13:42 #225387 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: Anyone see Midnight Special yet? I'm DYING to see that.

I'm going on Friday. If you give me a penny for my thoughts, I'll put my two cents in. (You'll owe me a penny.)

Your reviews are always welcome to me, Barney. Awww. <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Apr 2016 16:04 #225404 by Black Barney
awwwwww :)

Yes, PLEASE give us your thoughts on Midnight Special. It was the best trailer I've seen this year and I really want to know how it is. Love that actor (the dad). I'm not nuts about Kylo Ren being in it.

Ok, so you convinced me, I saw Eye in the Sky and will get a review up shortly. I am starting to have a real beef with big franchise actors like Adam Driver or pretty much anyone from Game of Thrones being in other stuff. I know that's a ridiculous position but it's really causing me problems in movies. Mormont is in Eye in the Sky but I actually got used to his character in this and no longer saw him as that in a VERY short amount of time. So yay. Whereas Plasma never became Plasma for me in Star Wars.

Funny story, I'm watching a preview today of some terrible looking movie on Miles Davis and I see one of the major actors in the movie seems to be the dude that plays Jaime Lannister. So the entire preview I'm seeing him as Jaime Lannister and not some jazz agent and my head is exploding. HOW THE HECK am I going to stop thinking of these Game of Thrones actors and actresses as anything else!? How do I get past this? It's going to ruin every movie they're in for me!

Then the cast roll flashes on screen and it turns out it was Ewan MacGregor. LOL oops. Those people all look alike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
06 Apr 2016 16:37 #225408 by Grudunza
Yeah, I know what you mean. There's a point when someone becomes so ubiquitous, but you really appreciate them from only one thing, and it gets in the way of that one thing. Speaking of Adam Driver, I'm also not super crazy about some things like the Kylo Ren "bad boss" SNL sketch. The thing is, it was really funny. But it also came right on the heels of the movie release. I think I need at least a little space where I take that character seriously per their role in the movie, before it's already being spoofed by the actual actor.

More
07 Apr 2016 09:12 #225462 by Columbob
Better not watch LOTR then Barney, you'd always expect Boromir to bite the dust...oops.

More
07 Apr 2016 09:30 #225463 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: Plasma ... Plasma

Are you doing that on purpose?

More
07 Apr 2016 09:34 #225465 by Black Barney
....no? Am I mispelling her name?

Man, four of the last five article/contributions are me. Am I doing too much or are other people just contributing less? I'll take a movie break until next Tuesday I think. I really should try once a week but I just couldn't help it this week. i felt like seeing movies :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.129 seconds