October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
15 May 2016 17:16 #227523 by Black Barney
Like Gravity, it must be really hard to enjoy after all the hype. I went in expecting not much cuz I really hated the trailers for mad max and said so on this site a bunch. What s huge surprise that film was.

I actually really liked the story and thought it was asking some important questions.

Best movie of the year. I'd see it a sixth time for sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2016 08:52 #227538 by JEM
The Witch was great. I'd put it in a double bill with A Field in England.

More
16 May 2016 16:37 - 16 May 2016 16:39 #227571 by ChristopherMD
I really liked The Witch. "A New England folktale" pretty much sums it up.
Last edit: 16 May 2016 16:39 by ChristopherMD.

More
16 May 2016 17:00 #227572 by Black Barney
...but might be missing some key adjectives or descriptors.

"Hi mom. What did I think of The Witch ? Do I think you'd like it ? Well, it's a New England folktale. K, I gotta go, talk later..."

More
16 May 2016 17:12 #227573 by ChristopherMD
My mom doesn't read the Fort.

More
16 May 2016 17:18 #227574 by boothwah

Mad Dog wrote: My mom doesn't read the Fort.

There's a Ken's mom joke in here somewhere but I don't have enough caffeine in me to spark it.

HAY BARNAY : Lt. Cabbage's succinct Fury Road review from DT :

Mad Max: Fury Road

1 stars

Thankfully we found this movie on a streaming service. I'd have been upset if we payed any more for it. Awful movie.

Now - I don't think it was an awful movie, I just don't think it was a special movie. I will watch it again on a lazy Saturday when I want to watch stuff blow up or go fast and I'm not in the mood for something that tries to make me follow some hackneyed plot to get to the explosions.

More
16 May 2016 17:28 #227575 by JEM
Most of the plot is barely obscured sub-text but it is there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 May 2016 18:48 - 16 May 2016 18:51 #227580 by Grudunza
I loved The Witch, but I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone's taste. More of a period drama about family/religious dynamics and paranoia/judgment than an outright horror film. Though I found it to be as unsettling in some respects as any good horror film.

Fury Road is a legendary action spectacle masterpiece. Watching it again tonight with my girls, and can't wait.
Last edit: 16 May 2016 18:51 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
16 May 2016 20:34 #227583 by Black Barney
Lemme know who your girls like best in Fury Road.

More
16 May 2016 21:13 #227585 by Grudunza
My older daughter has seen it already and loved it. I don't recall that she had a favorite character, but I would guess Furiosa.

More
17 May 2016 07:51 #227589 by Black Barney
I'd guess the Dag

More
17 May 2016 09:12 #227592 by Columbob

boothwah wrote:
1 stars

And you put faith in a review that can't even get this simple agreement in number?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
17 May 2016 09:41 - 17 May 2016 09:42 #227593 by Michael Barnes
Weirdly, I have almost no specific opinion on Deadpool. It certainly got the character right, but I've never cared for the character outside of his appearance in the Remender X-Force books a couple of years ago. There were a couple of jokes that almost made me laugh...but it felt like the movie was constantly trying to get me to laugh. It's like a comedian trying and failing, "ok, ok...how about this one..."

The vulgarity and extreme violence was ho-hum, it felt like willful counter-programming to the other, more morally upright Marvel movies...so it came across as more juvenile and snarky than satirical or pointed. I would say that it was teenage, but what teen is going to get jokes about Juice Newton, Bernadette Peters, Bea Arthur, or any number of references from the 70s and 80s. Grown folks stuff.

The writing was actually decent and it had more heart than I expected. But it also fell into the usual origin story tropes, boring. Ajax was a terrible bad guy. Colossus, what a waste.

Some of the fourth wall stuff was clever. Some not. The whole thing gets about a sub-meheven 5.

I think at least we can all agree on Morena Baccarin, good gravy she is a pretty lady.. She looks better now than she did 15 years ago.
Last edit: 17 May 2016 09:42 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
17 May 2016 10:37 - 17 May 2016 10:38 #227597 by Jexik
The girlfriend and I loved Deadpool. It hit us at just the right time. We saw it right around a year after we started dating, and at least two of the jokes were already "in" jokes for the two of us, that we had essentially made before. A friend of my brother had told us a "red shirt, brown pants" joke just a few days before, and I had said something about using a ring pop to propose less than a week before as well. And there it was.

I also think there might be an interesting and larger point about how sometimes a Chaotic Neutral hero can do things that a Lawful Good one can't. If Deadpool had killed Ajax on the bridge, fewer people would have gotten hurt, and Ajax would continue to torture and enslave people if they let him live. I don't really think of the movie as juvenile for some of the reasons you mentioned, or as pointlessly tasteless as playing cards against humanity. I wouldn't want a middle school child or nephew to watch this.

And yes, Morena Baccarin is gorgeous. Because of the short hair I didn't recognize her until about halfway through the movie. Overall I thought it was funnier than most comedies, including the one we saw last weekend...

Keanu. It was about as good as I expected. My girlfriend was feeling sad and loves cats, so I took her to it to try to raise her spirits. I love some of Key and Peele's sketches, like the one about the cousin coming into a nerd's D&D session playing "Kanye the Giant," or the inner city wizarding school, or the black substitute mispronouncing names like Blake and A-a-ron. If you kind of know what you're getting into this movie was pretty fun, but nothing special. It had its moments- pretty much everything that happened in the minivan was great. I wouldn't rush out to see it in hindsight, but I don't regret going.
Last edit: 17 May 2016 10:38 by Jexik.

More
17 May 2016 13:01 #227607 by Gregarius
Out of town at a conference, which means I get the evenings to myself. Yesterday I went to a movie, went to a craft brewery, and then went back to the movies.

Jungle Book - Surprisingly good. I realized by the end of it that I don't think I've ever actually watched the original Disney cartoon. I knew the songs, but the plot was all new to me. The effects are pretty amazing, but there's a weird disconnect watching animals' mouths move as they speak English. The action and voice-work were both pretty good as well, and it got pretty dusty in the theater at unexpected moments. The kid actor playing Mowgli was really great. I didn't really understand why Kaa (Scarlett Johansson) was in the movie. Walken's King Louie was probably my least favorite part, but even then I loved the references to Apocalypse Now. I saw it in standard, but this was one of the very few movies where I think I actually would have enjoyed it more in 3D.

Green Room - Disappointing, okay but not great. I liked the characters, the plot, and the ideas, but altogether it just didn't work for me. I really liked the director's previous film, Blue Ruin, but this one didn't have the same spark. I liked watching the characters try to work out how to get out of their situation, and I appreciated the more naturalistic approach. People were out of their depth, and they behaved realistically. I was worried going in that it would be too gruesome, but it wasn't as bad as my imagination had built it up to be. Still a couple of wince and cringe moments, though.

Oh yeah, and I'm one of the guys who thought The Witch was great.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.602 seconds