October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
21 May 2016 11:07 #227904 by Grudunza
Saw The Nice Guys last night. Really fun movie. Who would have thought Crowe and Gosling would make such a great duo? But they have a wonderful dynamic together. And the film is quite funny but in a cool way that feels authentic. I mean, I'll take funny in any form (see Get Hard above), but this also works pretty well as an engrossing 70's crime flick, while also being really funny. My only negative is that it slows down and drags just a bit in the middle, but that may be more because we went to the 10 pm showing and I hadn't slept much the night before. So it might actually be well-paced, but I couldn't appreciate it as well while fighting to stay awake for a little while.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2016 12:10 - 22 May 2016 12:11 #227928 by ThirstyMan
Was Slither that one with turd like things in the bath tub?

I really hate that film if it was. Really quite sickening and I'm like a super tough, take no prisoners kind of person.
Last edit: 22 May 2016 12:11 by ThirstyMan.

More
22 May 2016 21:19 #227941 by jeb
SLITHER was good fun, but yeah, it's pretty gross.

Saw JUPITER ASCENDING. Fucking terrible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
23 May 2016 09:10 #227950 by Black Barney
Rewatched Man of Steel and The Spectacular Now. Man of Steel was even worse than I remember it, only the flashback scenes are good. Spectacular Now was still fantastic.

Do you know how many breakout roles were in that one movie ?! Miles Teller, Shaleane Woodley, Brie Larsen, it's crazy. Jennifer Jason Leigh is unrecognizable in that movie too. The dude from the Wire is in it too.

More
23 May 2016 10:22 #227956 by Grudunza
The Spectacular Now? I've never even heard of that. Stop making up fake non-movies, Barney!

Speaking of Brie Larson, I watched Trainwreck a while ago, the Amy Schumer vehicle that has Brie Larson as her sister. Has its funny moments, but wasn't great. LeBron James was surprisingly good, though. He might have a career in acting if that other thing doesn't work out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
23 May 2016 11:18 #227960 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, seriously. On his recommendations I've tried to find:

Mrs. Flaherty's Reminder
The $20 Sandwich Club
A Biscuit to His Liking
The Pontiff
Hunkadola
Girls of the Lustwaffe
Hoss County Fair

Barney, are these Canadian films or something?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Legomancer, Black Barney, Columbob

More
23 May 2016 11:55 #227961 by hotseatgames
I would very much like a $20 sandwich.

More
23 May 2016 13:08 #227966 by jeb
Remember his Five Minute Reviews of these gems(?):

Ain't Nobody Got Time For That
Vortex, My Darling
Jumanji 2: Game Over
The Nonagon View

Where does he find this shit?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob

More
23 May 2016 14:16 #227969 by Shellhead

jeb wrote: Remember his Five Minute Reviews of these gems(?):

Ain't Nobody Got Time For That
Vortex, My Darling
Jumanji 2: Game Over
The Nonagon View

Where does he find this shit?

Maybe there is a canadian website called NotFlix.com.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, Columbob

More
23 May 2016 17:01 #227975 by Black Barney
You guys are idiots. The $20 Sandwich Club asked a lot of important questions. And Vortex, My Darling was a challenging picture both for the screenwriter and the viewer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Columbob

More
23 May 2016 21:01 #227983 by Not Sure

Black Barney wrote: You guys are idiots. The $20 Sandwich Club asked a lot of important questions. And Vortex, My Darling was a challenging picture both for the screenwriter and the viewer.

And the vortex, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Columbob

More
23 May 2016 22:49 #227986 by Shellhead
I was skeptical when I sat down to watch It Follows. I read a bit about it in a review some time back, and the concept seemed very contrived. And despite a promising opening, I was underwhelmed at first. Fortunately, the movie got better. And then it got really good.

No spoilers here, but I will say that It Follows could have been a huge and important movie if it had come out sometime in the late '80s or early '90s, when the theme would have tapped directly into the cultural zeitgeist. Even so many years later, it is an extremely effective low-budget horror movie, possibly one of the best cheap movies ever.

There were a few seeming strikes against It Follows in the early running. I wasn't close enough to the screen and the volume was too low at first, so I mistakenly got the impression that the movie started with a big spoiler for the ending. Not the case, as it turned out. While I don't begrudge a low-budget movie for using cheap synthesizer music along the lines of early John Carpenter, it was deployed at excessive volume in a very unsubtle bid for tension at times during the movie. Eventually the music was deployed more tactfully, or I got used to it. And early on it seemed like the acting was all weak, but later the same actors seemed to be delivering tastefully restrained performances. Maybe the reality is a mixture of those two impressions.

In his extensive book on the horror genre, Danse Macabre, Stephen King advanced the idea that the highest form of horror is purely psychological, absent of gore or other grossness. It Follows certainly aspires to that lofty goal, though it does fall slightly short. The better horror movies also often tend to establish and follow an arbitrary set of rules for the nature of the scariness, and It Follows succeeds with a reasonably intelligent execution of an arbitrary idea. And that arbitrary idea is no worse than the concept for The Ring, another great horror movie. Best of all, It Follows has a fine ending, the kind that lingers with the viewer for some time afterwards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
23 May 2016 22:55 #227987 by KingPut

Grudunza wrote: Saw The Nice Guys last night. Really fun movie. Who would have thought Crowe and Gosling would make such a great duo? But they have a wonderful dynamic together. And the film is quite funny but in a cool way that feels authentic. I mean, I'll take funny in any form (see Get Hard above), but this also works pretty well as an engrossing 70's crime flick, while also being really funny. My only negative is that it slows down and drags just a bit in the middle, but that may be more because we went to the 10 pm showing and I hadn't slept much the night before. So it might actually be well-paced, but I couldn't appreciate it as well while fighting to stay awake for a little while.

The Nice Guys has kind of an Ameican Hustle or Big Leboski feel to it. Good acting, takes you back to the era, critics love this kind of movie but it kind of fell a lttle flat for me. As you mentioned maybe it was the pacing or maybe the comic timing was just a little off. I liked the movie but I didn't love it and it wasn't nearly as good as Ameican Hustle or Big Leboski.

More
24 May 2016 22:56 #228091 by Hadik
Watching Civil War I began to get the feeling that the Cap's face was CG for a lot of the film. Same with Spidey. Their normal unmasked faces. Anyone see it?

More
25 May 2016 09:27 #228131 by Cranberries

Dan Lamb wrote: Watching Civil War I began to get the feeling that the Cap's face was CG for a lot of the film. Same with Spidey. Their normal unmasked faces. Anyone see it?

They didn't use CGI to make him skinny, they used it to bulk him up.

The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.589 seconds