October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
27 May 2016 20:25 #228324 by Black Barney
Or find the good bad movies. Jupiter isn't one of them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2016 21:17 #228328 by Mr. White
I wouldn't say this would be getting a pass because it's sci-fi. There's a long list of bad sci-fi.

Armageddon
Godzilla (90s)
Transformers movies
Recent DC comics movies
Ghostbusters remake

More
27 May 2016 23:14 #228331 by Mr. White
Wow, this is a youtube video but may be the best sci-fi I've seen this year.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, ChristopherMD

More
29 May 2016 21:06 #228366 by Mr. White
Took the family to see The Jungle Book this morning.

Incredible.

I thought it was an inspired choice to be as much a remake of their animated classic as Kipling's tale. Even so, this was an intense film. There was a lot more tension here than in The Force Awakens (compared only as it's another recent Disney remake). Favreau and Co. killed it.

I strongly recommend checking this out in the theaters.

Beauty and the Beast should be a treat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
12 Jun 2016 00:30 #228855 by Hadik
Hot day. Sullen boys. Warcraft matinee? Why not!

None of us had ever played the game before and knew next to nothing about the universe except that there are orcs... and men. And that was enough, though the movie introduces a dizzying amount of locations and characters in the first 10 minutes, each sounding more like invented fantasy satire than the one before. Soon we were whispering jabs and barbs at the movie, which was pretty funny considering my 10 year old had some of the best zingers.

The lead human is the guy from the Viking TV show. He was a bright spot in the film for me because he basically played the character from Viking, but with a bit less of the mania. The other thing that was good, which my 13-year old pointed out was that the movie, uh... humanizes(?) the orcs, instead of using them as hero fodder.

The silliest part was, for me, a bargain-basement council of Elrond, with emotionally guarded elves and obstinate dwarves, which some how looked even more inbred than the dwarves from LOTR and The Hobbit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Jun 2016 21:30 - 13 Jun 2016 21:32 #228911 by Grudunza
I am in the process of transitioning out of my religion, and out of religion, entirely (I would now consider myself a hopeful agnostic, or something to that effect). A big part of that has been realizing how what I had been seeking was one thing... and the construct of the religion another. The former was based on a genuine desire and perhaps need, and the latter fulfilling that need to an extent but also based on some fraud and deception and ultimately being a facade (as I see it now). Ah, there's so much more to it that would be hard to explain succinctly. But these two documentaries, both on Netflix, are excellent examples of why I've moved the way I have - An Honest Liar and Kumare.

An Honest Liar is about the Amazing Randi, a legendary magician who became known for debunking faith healers, psychics, and people like Uri Geller. There is a lot of great footage with him on TV shows, basically following Geller around and calling him out for his deception. I took notes with some of Randi's quotes: "People think they believe what they choose to believe. They don't. They believe what they need to believe. They would rather accept what some charismatic character tells them than really think about what the truth might be. They would rather have the romance and the lies... No matter how smart or well-educated you are, you can be deceived."

Kumare is really interesting. A guy from New Jersey decides to become a mystic yogi, and discovers that people are willing to follow him, even though everything he is teaching them is made-up bullshit, in essence telling everyone the whole time that he is a fake and that it's all an illusion (but said in a way that sounds like it is some kind of mystical secret). And it develops and ends in a way that is pretty illuminating, I think, both for the guy and his followers.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2016 21:32 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, ThirstyMan

More
13 Jun 2016 22:37 #228912 by Ancient_of_MuMu
After my wife and I realized that neither of us had seen the highly acclaimed Caddyshack we watched it and didn't think much of it. However this has become a trend in watching famous comedies of the late 70s and early 80s that neither of us have seen. We have not liked a particular film out of Porkys, Animal House and Cannonball Run (and possibly some other forgettable ones), but have weirdly enjoyed the whole process (so much so that we watched The Girl Next Door on Netflix last night after our queue dried up). Animal House in particular is really odd to watch without having seen before, as it is so quoted that there is almost no scene that we hadn't seen before in some way. I feel that the acclaim these films still get is mainly due to nostalgia, as often comedies are better the 10th time you see it, knowing all the jokes in advance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafael Silva

More
14 Jun 2016 10:20 #228926 by Gregarius
It's possible that comedies are too closely tied to the era in which they're released. The pacing and the style of delivery definitely changes over time. However, comedy can also be extremely subjective. I'd like to know what movies you think are funny in order to gauge your reaction to the ones you mentioned.

I haven't seen Animal House or Caddyshack in years, so it's totally possible I wouldn't find them all that great either.

More
14 Jun 2016 12:26 #228929 by Shellhead
I was underwhelmed by Caddyshack when I saw it in the theater. It was surprising to me that it became a cultural phenomenon. Porky's was a very stupid movie. Cannonball Run was just a smug star cast phoning it in. But I'm surprised that you disliked Animal House. It might not be a great movie, but there were so many good moments.

More
14 Jun 2016 13:00 - 14 Jun 2016 19:02 #228932 by ChristopherMD
None of those movies were great in the first place. Try moving ahead to 1984's Ghostbusters. :)
Last edit: 14 Jun 2016 19:02 by ChristopherMD.

More
14 Jun 2016 14:02 #228937 by ThirstyMan

Grudunza wrote: I am in the process of transitioning out of my religion, and out of religion, entirely (I would now consider myself a hopeful agnostic, or something to that effect). A big part of that has been realizing how what I had been seeking was one thing... and the construct of the religion another. The former was based on a genuine desire and perhaps need, and the latter fulfilling that need to an extent but also based on some fraud and deception and ultimately being a facade (as I see it now).

I am very pleased to see this and I wish you well in your rejection of religion. Walking away from a culture you have grown up with is a difficult thing to do at the best of times, so I offer my full support.

Randi is very good in his dismantling of irrational belief systems. I would recommend Michael Shermer and his magazine Skeptic, which you can get electronically. This is not so much anti religion but more anti woo woo science and questions many diet/food guru advice as well as many other topics. Not really a popular magazine, and can be quite dense, but an excellent resource.

Christopher Hitchens is great on religion. Anything you can pick up from him will help.

Julia Sweeny's Letting go of God as a TED talk is also good.

More
14 Jun 2016 14:11 - 14 Jun 2016 14:25 #228938 by Mr. White

ThirstyMan wrote: questions many diet/food guru advice.

Can you provide some examples of bad diet/food guru advice he addresses?
Last edit: 14 Jun 2016 14:25 by Mr. White.

More
14 Jun 2016 14:38 #228940 by Joebot

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: After my wife and I realized that neither of us had seen the highly acclaimed Caddyshack we watched it and didn't think much of it.

Caddyshack is the '27 Yankees of comedy. Knight, Chase, Dangerfield, and Murray are a Murderer's Row of comedians, all performing at their peak. If I had to make a list of my Most Quoted Pop Culture References, Caddyshack is probably #3 (behind Simpsons and Star Wars).

That being said ... Caddyshack does suffer from what I call the "Danny Noonan Problem." Danny Noonan is a terrible protagonist. But dammit, I love that movie anyway.

Now, in the immortal words of Judge Smails: "Don't you people have HOMES?!?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
14 Jun 2016 15:32 #228942 by ThirstyMan

Mr. White wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: questions many diet/food guru advice.

Can you provide some examples of bad diet/food guru advice he addresses?

Skeptic has dealt with a number of these issues.

Issue 19.4 was dedicated to Diet Myths (Food Myths: What Science knows and what it doesn't know, Decoding food labels, Evolution, Diet and Chronic Disease). There is a regular column by Harriet Hall MD which is usually excellent.

Issue 10.4 dealt with The Atkins Diet and other diet fads.

On the non diet front:
9/11 truthers exposed. Creationist Muslim thinkers. Artificial Intelligence. Vaccines and Autism. Historical revisionism. Scientology. 50 yrs of conspiracy theories. Myths on Terrorism. Why we fall for cons. The multiverse. Alternative cancer cures.

More
14 Jun 2016 18:48 #228950 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Shellhead wrote: I was underwhelmed by Caddyshack when I saw it in the theater. It was surprising to me that it became a cultural phenomenon. Porky's was a very stupid movie. Cannonball Run was just a smug star cast phoning it in. But I'm surprised that you disliked Animal House. It might not be a great movie, but there were so many good moments.

Joebot wrote: If I had to make a list of my Most Quoted Pop Culture References, Caddyshack is probably #3 (behind Simpsons and Star Wars).

Animal House is interesting and is probably the best of the bunch but why we didn't enjoy it relates to Joebot's post. It is by far the most quoted/referenced movie of this bunch, so pretty much every scene we had seen before somewhere else, and it is hard to find something funny when you have already seen it parodied/referenced. I had the same reaction to The Shining when I first saw it 15 years ago, and it took a couple of viewings to get over that and see it for itself without the references (luckily I was writing an essay on it so was forced to watch it multiple times). Next up when I get my hands on copies will be Risky Business and then Class (I read a parody of Class in Mad Magazine as a 10 year old so have always been intrigued).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.909 seconds