October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
27 Jun 2016 08:24 #229396 by Black Barney
So wrong. Jaws is one of the top five films of all time. Deep blue sea has Michael Rapaport and Janice from Sopranos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2016 11:37 #229411 by ChristopherMD
My opinions are never wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Jul 2016 13:59 - 02 Jul 2016 14:11 #229651 by Grudunza
Independence Day: Resurgence is a movie where things happen and aliens do stuff and you probably won't care much of the time.

Watched Race on DVD. It has the generic feel of a lot of biopics, but I'll give it an extra point for some good casting and acting, decent dialogue, and a few powerful moments. When Jesse Owens first walks into the stadium and tens of thousands of people are saying "seig heil!" at Hitler's arrival... Yikes.

Also, I would really like to see a full movie about Leni Riefenstahl (who is well played in this movie by Melisandre from GoT). She is a good presence here, but deserves her own pic. Isn't there a documentary about her? I'll have to look. That would be interesting. (Just looked and there is a German doc, and a couple of failed attempts at producing a film version, one involving Jodie Foster as Leni.)
Last edit: 02 Jul 2016 14:11 by Grudunza.

More
03 Jul 2016 09:18 #229667 by Legomancer

Grudunza wrote: Independence Day: Resurgence is a movie where things happen and aliens do stuff and you probably won't care much of the time.

This is a movie I just flat out have no idea who, other than Jeff Goldbum's wallet, it was intended for.

I know few people who really liked the original one, and none of them were screaming for a sequel. Even if you're one of these people who will go see ANY nerd shit that gets excreted into a movie theater, there still seem to be better options. I've always failed to understand the "I just went into it with low expectations" (if you assume it's trash, why see it at all?) but I can't imagine how subterranean your expectations had to be to assume anything good was coming out of this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, mutagen

More
03 Jul 2016 11:00 #229669 by hotseatgames
I watched two stinkers last night, both recently added to Netflix. I think Netflix has the wrong idea about things I will like.
Sin City: A Dame to Kill for - I remember kind of liking the original. The visual style is certainly striking. I also never read any of the comics. This movie, however, is dumb. I didn't care about any character's well-being, with the possible exception of Joseph Gordon Levitt's character; I didn't care about anything that was happening.

Standoff - You might think a movie starring Tom Jane and Laurence Fishburne would be good. And it would be, if you didn't get a 9th grader to write the script.

More
03 Jul 2016 12:02 #229671 by Grudunza

Legomancer wrote:

Grudunza wrote: Independence Day: Resurgence is a movie where things happen and aliens do stuff and you probably won't care much of the time.

This is a movie I just flat out have no idea who, other than Jeff Goldbum's wallet, it was intended for.

I know few people who really liked the original one, and none of them were screaming for a sequel. Even if you're one of these people who will go see ANY nerd shit that gets excreted into a movie theater, there still seem to be better options. I've always failed to understand the "I just went into it with low expectations" (if you assume it's trash, why see it at all?) but I can't imagine how subterranean your expectations had to be to assume anything good was coming out of this.

Yup. Boredom and low expectations. I didn't like the original too much, either.

More
03 Jul 2016 13:18 #229673 by Josh Look
I HATE Independence Day.

More
03 Jul 2016 17:57 #229674 by SuperflyPete
I loved ID4. I'm jazzed about this one.

More
03 Jul 2016 18:09 - 03 Jul 2016 18:17 #229677 by Gary Sax
Saw 4 movies on the plane home from Munich. Force Awakens again, better the second time, think the next movie will be great as it'll dispense with a bit of the nostalgia.

Then saw The Big Short, which was great all around. Part of my job is to understand macro political economic issues like these but they did an outstanding job making the financial instruments understandable and really highlighting the unethical behavior to the layperson.

Then saw the Revenant and I was not impressed. Plodding, boring, and a tad pointless. Only average movie to me, though I 100% admit the cinematography looked great but had no effect on me due to the tiny airplane screen. I rarely have a suspending disbelief problem but as someone who spends time backpacking outdoors I was really having issues. After any one of the 50 times he fell into freezing mountain water and sat around in his wet clothes he would be hypothermic super quickly and die unless he could dry himself almost immediately. Until you're out in cold stream water and chilled it's hard to visualize how quickly you can die of exposure outside.

Finally, watched Dazed and Confused again. A great movie... its ambiguity still impresses me, along with its refusal to really render judgment on anyone's actions save perhaps Affleck's hyper asshole character.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2016 18:17 by Gary Sax.

More
03 Jul 2016 19:27 #229678 by SuperflyPete
Agree on all four points.

More
03 Jul 2016 20:02 #229679 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I think I saw Warcraft a couple of weeks ago. I was at the cinema, there were some orcs and humans on the screen, but nothing of that experience has stayed in my memory banks.

More
03 Jul 2016 21:15 #229680 by jeb
I watched GOING CLEAR, the documentary about Scientology. It's a cult. Apologies if you are a Scientologist, but Miscavaige is a shit and I am totally down with being a Suppressive Person and your disconnecting from me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Feelitmon

More
04 Jul 2016 09:54 #229683 by Shellhead
I talked my girlfriend into watching Deathproof last night. I told her that it was Quentin Tarantino's chick flick. Knowing my taste in movies, she asked me if it was a horror movie, and I said no, but there's a great car chase. Normally, she doesn't like to spend much time analyzing a movie afterwards, but she kept talking about this one. She found the girl talk unrealistic but entertaining, but found the violence to be disturbing. She liked the music and found Stuntman Mike to be an interesting villain. She changed her mind a few times but finally concluded that she liked the movie. I was glad to hear that, because I like Deathproof more than Tarantino's last three movies put together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: siberianhusky

More
05 Jul 2016 09:48 #229695 by Shellhead
Northern Soul was a mixed bag, but I'm glad that I saw it. I have been dimly aware for years now that there was a Northern Soul music scene in the UK that featured non-top 40 Motown music and some flashy and athletic dance moves. One a few occasions, I listened to some songs labeled as Northern Soul on YouTube to try to get a feel for the sub-genre, but never quite got it. This movie helped me get a feel for the scene.

Northern Soul music is generally warm, rich, energetic and upbeat R&B, and the scene tended to value obscure performers. The only names that I recognized from the soundtrack were Edwin Starr, Frankie Valli, and Marvin Gaye. The closest modern analog that I can think of is some of the hits from an Italian group called Gabin. The fashion of the scene started out mod, but eventually shifted towards looser-fitting clothing that was more practical on the dance floor. Because the most popular venues often hosted all-night northern soul events, speed became the drug of choice of the scene.

The movie focuses on a couple of teenage boys who get into the northern soul scene early on. They were rebels and dreamers, and got into trouble with drugs. Like other music-oriented movies that I've seen in the past, it often seems like drugs end up ruining the music for musicians and fans alike. However, the northern soul scene didn't really have musicians around, because the people making the music were so geographically distant from the scene, so the equivalent role was actually the DJs spinning in the clubs.

Watching Northern Soul was a bit frustrating. I found the characters and their stories less than compelling, though the acting was decent. I wanted to hear more of the music, but the movie would dole it out in loud snippets, then quickly dial down the volume so the actors could be heard. I suspect that I would enjoy a documentary about Northern Soul even more.

More
05 Jul 2016 12:17 #229718 by jeb
Stahted watchin' SPAWTLIGHT, the stawry of the Bawston Globe theah repohrtin' on the priests theah fuckin the kids and awl that shit that went on theah with Cahdnal Law knowin' abowt it and all that theah.

Anyway, it's pritty good and evryone seems to be havin' a good time with axsents and all that theah with the funny way people tawk from Bawston and with theah long trailin' sentences and awl that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.659 seconds