October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
23 May 2017 21:03 - 23 May 2017 21:03 #248945 by Erik Twice
Saw Miss Peregrine House for Peculiar Kids. It's a very poor film, partly because it's a run-of-the-mill hero fullfilment fantasy, partly because of obvious production issues.

First, there's no real progression to the story. It takes half an hour of the kid being mopy for him to get to the namesake house and once he's there there's at least another hour spent introducing other characters. Characters that are suplerfous to the story or that don't even appear beyond one short scene (The dead kid). Most of the film is explaining and explaining and there's not much to actually explain really, so it drags and drags and drags.

Editing is strange with characters "teleporting" from one scene to antoher and the same things being repeated. Samuel L Jackson hams it up, which doesn't prevent the antagonists from being completely ineffective villains without motivation or a real plan. Sometimes they even veer into comedy (I told you it was a trap!) and the spotlight in the last battle scene is taken by a bunch of skeletons (?). It's all very odd and very, very boring.

The plot is simple. Random hero kid who is picked on learns about a magical place where kids with superpowers live. They are under the threat of some random villains but thanks to his superpowers, planning skills and outsider status they manage to defeat them. He becomes cool and gets the girl.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 21:03 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2017 11:50 #249083 by Matt Thrower
I have now watched all of Quentin Tarantino's films. So I'm going to rank them, because I can.

#9: Death Proof - everyone's least favourite, right?
#8 Jackie Brown - I found this dull, but it probably suffered for coming after Pulp Fiction
#7 Django Unchained - the first 2/3 were great but why waste everyone's time with more?
#6 Hateful Eight - full of great moments, but bloated and indulgently overlong
#5 Kill Bill Vol. 2 - great finale, but suffers from being cut in half
#4 Inglorious Basterds - silly, but the cafe scene is about the edgiest of my seat I've ever been
#3 Kill Bill Vol. 1
#2 Resevoir Dogs
#1 Pulp Fiction

I didn't comment on the last three, because they're all great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Rafael Silva, Vlad

More
25 May 2017 12:32 #249088 by hotseatgames
I think I'd bump Inglorious above Kill Bill since it has two scenes that are among Tarantino's best, if not THE best.

More
25 May 2017 13:14 - 25 May 2017 13:29 #249090 by jeb
I haven't seen #6 THE HATEFUL 8, I hear I am not missing much. My friend was pissed that all that gorgeous 70mm film was wasted in a one-room set for most of the picture.

Of the others, I'll re-order somewhat:
#9 Death Proof -- The car crash is amazing. And the way it was cut together in Grindhouse was really cool, but on its own, it's pretty bad.
#7 Django Unchained -- Too easy? I feel like he wasn't trying very hard here, everything is SO over the top. Again, he may going for an aesthetic I don't like with all the hammy line-readings and guignol. See also:
#4 Inglorious Basterds -- The opening scene is one of the best of the last 20 years. And the bar scene is also great--but the rest is clunky and gross.
#5 Kill Bill Vol. 2 -- Recently re-watched this. It's pretty boring, and doesn't come together very well.
--Below this line are the ones I think folks need to see--
#3 Kill Bill Vol. 1 -- This movie is fun as hell. Here, for whatever reason, the hammy line-readings work for me. Great world-building I guess. The anime scene is cool, the fight scenes are crazy, and the soundtrack fucking rocks. This is an entertaining motion picture.
#2 Reservoir Dogs -- Great dialog, and GREAT line-readings. This might be the best ensemble Tarantino ever worked with. I know he has a thing for bringing shitty old actors back into style (Travolta, Carradine, Don Johnson, &c), but they are kind of bad at acting. This crew was solid as a rock.
#8 Jackie Brown -- I LOVE this movie. I was stunned to see this so low on your list. Has all the things I like about Kill Bill Vol 1, except you actually care about most of the characters. Solid story, good performances. The scene where Forster talks about his hair plugs acknowledges aging in Hollywood and is great.
#1 Pulp Fiction -- Lifetime pass.
Last edit: 25 May 2017 13:29 by jeb.

More
25 May 2017 13:21 #249091 by Grudunza
I also love Jackie Brown and liked Django more than Inglorious Basterds. Basterds does have those two amazing scenes, but doesn't hold together as well, otherwise. I'd also put Kill Bill 1+2 together near the top. I can see where the second one seems weaker released a year later, but watching them on successive nights as I did, it was just an awesome unified whole.

I might also put Reservoir Dogs above Pulp Fiction, but just by a hair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, siberianhusky, Rafael Silva

More
25 May 2017 13:24 #249092 by Msample
I too am surprised to see Jackie Brown ranked so low. Compared to many of his other films where the pacing lags ( tediously long scenes in KB2 and Hateful Eight come to mind ) the movie moves at a smart clip.

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Jackie Brown

3. Kill Bill I

4. Inglorious Basterds

5. Reservoir Dogs

6. Kill Bill 2

7. Hateful Eight

Haven't seen Django or Death Proof
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, siberianhusky

More
25 May 2017 13:49 #249094 by Shellhead
#9: Django Unchained - I would like to see the entire human race retire the N-word. This movie used it in nearly every sentence. And while I am aware that slavery is a part of our history, it is a part that I do not enjoy revisiting.
#8 Hateful Eight - Too long for what it is, probably because the dialogue was more like serial monologues. Felt like I was watching a stage production of The Thing, minus the special effects.
#7 Inglorious Basterds - aside from some exciting high stakes conversations that sometimes led to violence, this movie felt pointless and ended poorly. Brad Pitt has been phoning in lame performances for years now, and this was typical. I wish he would just retire rich and go away.
#6 Jackie Brown - Jackie was cool, but the rest of the cast didn't interest me.
#5 Reservoir Dogs - Great first movie marred by some obnoxious overacting in the final reel.
#4 Pulp Fiction - Watched this in the theater and again last year. Was disappointed to realize how extremely overrated. Pulp Fiction has cool people in interesting situations, but the various scenes don't add up into a worthwhile story or even set of stories.
#3 Kill Bill Vol. 2 - If Kill Bill had been one very long movie, it would have been one of the greatest movies ever. This volume suffers from being the second half.
#2 Kill Bill Vol. 1 - The anime segment offended my eyes, but otherwise this is a great half of a movie.
#1 Death Proof - Though unpopular, Death Proof delivered all my favorite Tarantino stuff: cool music, good dialogue, humor, interesting characters, and action. Yes, the movie takes a really long time to get around to the action, but then pays off with one of the greatest car chase scenes ever. And Zoe Bell playing Zoe Bell is great, because Zoe Bell is a unique and lovely human being.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney, siberianhusky

More
25 May 2017 13:56 #249095 by Mr. White
Tarantino movies always make me feel dirty. The man is the epitome of 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should'. I never considered myself a prude, but I don't need to actually see ladies in comas getting raped.

Lame.

I rank his movies like this:

1) True Romance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, jeb, Cranberries

More
25 May 2017 14:56 #249101 by the_jake_1973
True Romance and Reservoir Dogs are the only Tarantino films I enjoy. A highly overrated writer/director.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, sornars

More
25 May 2017 16:14 - 25 May 2017 16:14 #249102 by Unicron

the_jake_1973 wrote: True Romance and Reservoir Dogs are the only Tarantino films I enjoy. A highly overrated writer/director.

Don't let his demeanor cloud the issue. Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill vol. 2 and his vignette in Four Rooms are marvelous. Jackie Brown is underrated. That's probably one of the three best Elmore Leonard adaptations ever (3:10 to Yuma and Out of Sight being the other two). However, I would say that if you're the type of person that enjoys Inglorious Bastards and films where characters carve swastikas into nazi foreheads, you probably have more in common with the SS than you think.
Last edit: 25 May 2017 16:14 by Unicron.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds