October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
21 Oct 2015 12:13 #212972 by Michael Barnes
What a profound message that I have never seen in any war film ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2015 12:28 #212973 by Shellhead

Green Lantern wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Digression- I can't believe anyone took American Sniper seriously. That film is the cinematic equivalent of Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American". Total jingoistic cheese. I didn't finish watching it, which is rare for me when I sit down to watch a highly regarded, well-reviewed film. I probably liked it less than Birdman, and that's saying something.

I'll take a SWAG here and say you've never served in the military or in Iraq, so unless you instruct me otherwise I'll take Chris Kyles' account of the events over there over yours, Barnes. I ain't saying American Sniper is the best movie ever but the central theme I took away from it was that war changes people irrevocably and usually not for the best. The only reason that dude kept going back was to watch the backs of his brothers in arms, not to go kill tangos for MERCUH.

A jury of Kyle's peers found him to be guilty of defamation (i.e. lying about somebody), and his estate was ordered to pay a couple of million dollars to Jesse Ventura. Kyle himself was murdered by mentally ill veteran who Kyle probably shouldn't have invited to a shooting range. I suppose that supports the movie's theme about war changing people for the worse. While I appreciate Kyle's service on behalf of our country, I'm not especially interested in his account of anything.

More
21 Oct 2015 12:30 #212974 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote: What a profound message that I have never seen in any war film ever.

Probably the biggest thing that differentiates it is how it is based on the true events (as he tells them) of one soldier's life. That, and the tragic ending.

I bet if you would have finished it, you would have liked it more than Birdman -- for no other reason than there are not very many highly regarded movies that are worse than Birdman.

More
21 Oct 2015 12:36 #212976 by Egg Shen
Watched Paranorman last night. What a terrific little film.

Paranorman is about a young boy who can speak with dead people. He is a misfit that loves monster movies, but doesn't have many friends. Eventually he gets tangled up in some undead curse and zombies begin to rise from their graves. I don't want to say too much about it because discovering everything in this film is an absolute treat. The film deliberately screws with the audiences assumptions and anticipation...nothing ever goes the way you think it will. Paranorman is also surprisingly touching and even a tad poignant at times. It's overarching themes are powerful and it's has a great message for kids, teens and well, people of all ages. I actually don't think this is a movie many kids will love. It can be kind of slow and there are period where a child might become bored. I'm not sure though. The ending might be a little intense/scary as well. The film itself looks GORGEOUS. It' was created by Laika, the stop motion wizards behind the wonderful Coraline. I loved soaking in every scene of this movie. It's like a moving piece of art.

I was floored by how much I loved this film. I haven't been this enamored with a children's film that's not a children's film since Rango.

More
21 Oct 2015 12:38 #212977 by hotseatgames
I watched American Sniper when it was in theaters. I thought it was laughably bad, and the cheese factor was through the roof.

More
21 Oct 2015 12:59 #212979 by ChristopherMD
I watched Bordello of Blood. The Tales from the Crypt movie starring Dennis Miller. Lots of tits&ass and gore and a few laughs. Something nostalgiac about the movie as a whole though other than having seen it before. Was probably derivative at its time, but now they just don't make them like this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Oct 2015 14:20 #213001 by Black Barney
I just RE watched that recently too, weird. Even weirder, I went to a bordello within the same week. Coincidence ?

More
22 Oct 2015 11:19 - 22 Oct 2015 11:20 #213069 by Egg Shen
With this high demand in horror properties for TV shows, I'd love to see a revival of HBO's Tales from the Crypt. At the very least I'd love for them to make a few more movies like Demon Knight or Bordello. I agree with Mad Dog in regards to Bordello...when it came out it was a derivative effort. Now they don't make films like that. I know Both Demon Knight and Bordello of Blood are getting Scream Factory Blu Ray Releases next week. Which means they will be packed with extras and the picture quality should be pretty damn good. I'll probably pick them both up.

Last night I watched Mosquito. God damn what an awful, terrible, shitty film. Here is the plot: An alien spacecraft crash lands in a swamp. Mosquito's suck the blood of the alien carcass and subsequently grow into GIANT mosquitoes. Said giant mosquitoes terrorize a camp ground and then a small group of survivors. The film has horrible acting, a plodding pace and lots of horror cliches. However, every cent of the budget went into the practical effects of the giant mosquitoes...and they're kind of awesome. The kills are over the top. There is one particular scene including a pair of eyeballs that is pretty hilarious. The only person I recognized was horror icon, Gunnar Hansen - the original Leatherface. At one point he is brandishing a chainsaw and says, "I haven't handled one of these in 20 years...it feels good". Christ. I watched this by myself and that was a mistake. This is the type of film that begs to be watched with a rowdy group with lots of beers. The laugh factor is high for something like that.

I remember when I was about 11 or 12 I used to see the VHS of this film at my local video rental store and the pictures on the back of it always freaked me out. Giant insects always got under my skin. Funny that it took me like 20 years to finally watch this one.

Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 11:20 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, stoic

More
22 Oct 2015 17:36 - 22 Oct 2015 17:37 #213113 by SebastianBludd
My son said that The Thing was creepy and gross, but it didn't scare him. I believe him based on the lack of bedtime drama the night we watched it.

Finding horror films to watch with both of my sons - the younger one being 7 - is tricky, but so far this month we've watched The Monster Squad, It! The Terror from Beyond Space, Abominable, Gremlins, and last night was Silver Bullet. I was surprised that one of the moments that scared my sons the most was when Corey Haim was stuck in the abandoned covered bridge and the priest followed him inside on foot.

I think they both like Gremlins well enough and none of us really liked The Monster Squad or Abominable. Abominable is basically Bigfoot meets Rear Window starring the guy who played Lloyd Braun on Seinfeld. I'd seen it once before and completely forgot that there was a short, surprise nude shower scene that my sons declared "gross," and a little more gore than I remembered. It wasn't really worth watching again and the movie is really hampered by the fact that Bigfoot looks too much like Jack Elam to be scary.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 17:37 by SebastianBludd.

More
22 Oct 2015 17:42 #213114 by stoic

Egg Shen wrote: With this high demand in horror properties for TV shows, I'd love to see a revival of HBO's Tales from the Crypt. At the very least I'd love for them to make a few more movies like Demon Knight or Bordello. I agree with Mad Dog in regards to Bordello...when it came out it was a derivative effort. Now they don't make films like that. I know Both Demon Knight and Bordello of Blood are getting Scream Factory Blu Ray Releases next week. Which means they will be packed with extras and the picture quality should be pretty damn good. I'll probably pick them both up.

Last night I watched Mosquito. God damn what an awful, terrible, shitty film. Here is the plot: An alien spacecraft crash lands in a swamp. Mosquito's suck the blood of the alien carcass and subsequently grow into GIANT mosquitoes. Said giant mosquitoes terrorize a camp ground and then a small group of survivors. The film has horrible acting, a plodding pace and lots of horror cliches. However, every cent of the budget went into the practical effects of the giant mosquitoes...and they're kind of awesome. The kills are over the top. There is one particular scene including a pair of eyeballs that is pretty hilarious. The only person I recognized was horror icon, Gunnar Hansen - the original Leatherface. At one point he is brandishing a chainsaw and says, "I haven't handled one of these in 20 years...it feels good". Christ. I watched this by myself and that was a mistake. This is the type of film that begs to be watched with a rowdy group with lots of beers. The laugh factor is high for something like that.

I remember when I was about 11 or 12 I used to see the VHS of this film at my local video rental store and the pictures on the back of it always freaked me out. Giant insects always got under my skin. Funny that it took me like 20 years to finally watch this one.

If this weren't R rated, then it would be a great film to show to the Summer Camp campers on movie night. Mosquitos are everywhere here. LOL.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds