October 09, 2023
2475 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2679 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
11 Nov 2015 13:53 #214801 by fastbilly1
Went to go see Jem with my wife last night, theater pulled the film. So yeah that was a miss. Sadly my wife is actually a bit torn up about this. She wanted to see it but was sick all of last week. She knows that it is the Justin Beiber 3.0 movie, but Samantha Newark (voice of Jem in the cartoon), is a personal friend of hers and when they last had dinner together she implored my wife to give it a chance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2015 15:19 - 12 Nov 2015 18:03 #214938 by Grudunza
Mr. Holmes: Slow and quietly contemplative, but also a beautiful and moving story about Sherlock Holmes as a very old man, trying to understand the real meaning of his last case from 35 years prior. I predict an Oscar nom for Ian McKellen as Sherlock.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl: High school drama with some great performances, and a good script. In a similar vein and quality as A Fault in Our Stars.

Re-watched Tomorrowland with my girls. When I saw it in the theater, I thought it was better than the mediocre reviews I'd read, but on a second viewing the flaws did seem more apparent. It's a bit disjointed and unsure of its tone, ranging from Spielbergian wonder to Men in Black goofiness. And my 13 year-old daughter complained about some of the dialogue, so that should tell you something. Still, I think it's interesting in many ways and more of a 'well, they tried for something big but didn't quite get there' kind of thing. I can respect that, but I had previously thought this might catch on better with rentals, and now I don't think it will.

Spy: I'd heard good things, and it is really really funny at times. Kind of doesn't keep up its pace as far as the humor... there's a point when plot gets in the way a bit. I also wonder if the decision to have Melissa McCarthy's character actually be a competent spy (with real fighting ability) served the comedy as well. I suppose it could have been cheesy if she bumbled her way through everything, and it was really funny at first to see her kicking ass, but I think I'd have liked just a hint more of a Leslie Nielson or Inspector Clouseau. Regardless, I hope this did well enough for a sequel, because I'd like to see more of her in the role.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2015 18:03 by Grudunza.

More
12 Nov 2015 17:17 #214949 by Black Barney
Saw ROOM last night. I'll write a review in the next couple days. Not a good date movie, lol. Pretty rough but completely amazing.

More
12 Nov 2015 18:03 #214956 by Grudunza
Ah, I knew you'd like it. Ha yes, not a date movie at all. :oP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Nov 2015 01:06 #214970 by Cranberries
I took my college son to see Bridge of Spies . I wish it was directed by someone besides Spielberg. He took the Cold War and stripped away all the confusion, betrayal and noir-ish heaviness, creating a patriotic feel-good movie. It was good, but more of a $2.50 2nd run experience, not worth the $7.00 matinee price. Just so heavy handed and obvious. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy ruined me.

More
13 Nov 2015 15:01 #214998 by stoic

craniac wrote: I took my college son to see Bridge of Spies . I wish it was directed by someone besides Spielberg. He took the Cold War and stripped away all the confusion, betrayal and noir-ish heaviness, creating a patriotic feel-good movie. It was good, but more of a $2.50 2nd run experience, not worth the $7.00 matinee price. Just so heavy handed and obvious. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy ruined me.

So, it wasn't Twilight Struggle in movie form?

One excellent book to read about the Cold War is The Company: a Novel of the CIA by Robert Littell. I picked it up at the International Spy Museum in Washington, D.C., and then read it from cover to cover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
13 Nov 2015 15:17 - 13 Nov 2015 15:22 #214999 by Erik Twice
I'm trying to learn French so I decided to hit look for some movies in the language. Intouchables didn't have subtitles so I watched Le dînner de cons instead.

It's a fun, if unremarkable movie. The premise is that a rich guy and his friends organize "dinners for idiots" in which each member brings invites an idiot to dinner and whoever brings the biggest idiot wins. Unfortunately for our protagonist he brings home a really good idiot and as he hurts his back and gets dumped by his girlfriend he is forced to rely more and more on him creating all sort of funny situations.

What makes the movie enjoyable is that the characters are all very well balanced. The idiot is both annoying and incredibly hard to get rid of, sure, but he's good natured and hard to dislike, while the rich guy is a douchebag but it's hard not to share his frustration with the idiot.

I'm told that there's an American remake called "Dinner for schmucks" which heavily tones down the main characters and was poorly received.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 15:22 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob

More
13 Nov 2015 15:39 #215001 by Black Barney
Yeah, Dinner for Schmucks looked terrible.

You're learning French, Erik? That's awesome! Can I recommend my favourite French movie of all time to you? It's STUNNINGLY good

THE CLASS. - it's sooooooo good. It's from 2008.

See it and let me know what you think.

btw, speaking of foreign film, I'm so mad they're making an American version of El Secreto de Sus Ojos with Julia Roberts. I saw the trailer this week and it looks awful. The original was amazing.

More
13 Nov 2015 16:26 #215004 by boothwah
So I watched the 2011 remake of Fright Night with Colin Farrell - and strangely, I really enjoyed it - I mean the inner film critic in me was whispering "this is a bad movie." But it was one of those bad movies that was fun to watch. Kind of like Roadhouse.

Colin Farrell (who usually unimpresses) was fun as the a-hole neighbor/vampire. Tenant was goofy fun as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
13 Nov 2015 16:29 #215005 by Black Barney
It's a lessor film

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds