October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
25 Nov 2015 17:01 #215935 by Michael Barnes
I didn't finish it...the kids fell asleep and I didn't want to watch it twice. But we'll probably resume tonight. I did get to Bing Bong, who was probably the best part of it.

I did not expect my opinions on either film to be popular.

I watched another one last night, Dark Star...it was one of those things that pops up on Netflix at random. It's a documentary about HR Giger, it was made right before he passed away last year. As a piece of fan wank, it was good- lots of awesome artwork, lots of never before seen stuff, lots of candid footage of a quite prematurely elderly Giger with his family. But it was also more or less completely style-less and it didn't really have any kind of insight or revelation about Giger at all. It was nice to see him just really as kind of a regular old dude, not some bizarro goth cult figure. But I didn't come out of it feeling like the filmmakers really had any kind of perspective or sense of uncovering who Giger was, what his motivations were and so forth. Contrast it to Listen to Me Marlon, which is HUGELY stylized and almost shockingly intimate.

One thing I did learn was that Thomas Gabriel Fischer (aka Tom G. Warrior from Celtic Frost) was his personal assistant. Which was really kind of neat, this guy from one of the most innovative and influential metal bands of all time...doing his paperwork and taking care of him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2015 19:22 - 25 Nov 2015 19:33 #215945 by Grudunza
Barnes, sometimes with films you're like a fun-murdering Eurosnoot. Of course there's nothing *new* in Ex Machina. But does it make sense to compare it to Bride of Frankenstein in 2015, as if we shouldn't have new settings and framings for the same ideas that we're still considering as a species? And there are some new concepts there, or at least, put into a modern framing. The idea of sentience being driven or formed from people's collective internet lives is, on one hand ridiculous, but also interesting and different. No doubt a lot of what our passions and opinions are can be derived from our online presence, and we know that Google and Facebook gather as much of that as they possibly can (to make more money, but as a sci-fi conceit, it also works to play it this way). And the point of her existence, as a next step in human evolution... Sure, Kubrick and Asimov did that with Hal, but it's depicted very well here, and in a way that feels realistic to our times, or to how we view our immediate future (as 2001 probably felt in 1968). Yes, the ending is telegraphed and inevitable. Leonard Bernstein once described good music as "fresh but inevitable," and I think that applies to this depiction overall. If they had gone with a different "twist" or resolution at the ending, that probably would have felt gimmicky and unearned. All put together; ensemble, writing, cinematography, interesting concepts, the score, the setting... it's a great film. (Granted, it's no Birdman.)

Spotlight retells the investigative story the Boston Globe did about Catholic priests molesting kids, and moreso about the church itself covering that up. Really solid handling of the details here. There are a lot of layers and specifics about what happened and why certain things were important, and it could have been either really dry or too convoluted, but it's all very gripping. The cast is almost universally understated (Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Leiv Schreiber, Stanley Tucci), except for Mark Ruffalo, who has a weird kind of manic approach to his character. But I think that works well to have only him be that way, whereas if everyone was more high-energy the whole thing would have felt too panicked. And more importantly, none of this is about those characters. There's almost no attention to the reporters' personal lives; their relationships, etc. It's all about the story, which more than fills up the time and attention. Because I'm raving about it, Barnes will surely pan it. :o)

The Good Dinosaur: Sweet and charming, with some great Pixar-y character moments, but it also felt a bit insubstantial or lacking somehow. It's a simple tale of a lost dinosaur finding his way back home and befriending a human kid. I liked it a lot, and no doubt it's better than all of the other kid/family films in the trailers, but this is probably one of the weaker Pixar films. Not to say it's weak, at all... I hate to even imply that, but with Pixar the bar is so high. But it just ain't no Toy Story 3... or Inside Out.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2015 19:33 by Grudunza.

More
25 Nov 2015 19:42 #215948 by Michael Barnes
I'm calling off all future movie dates with Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
25 Nov 2015 19:53 - 25 Nov 2015 20:00 #215949 by Grudunza

Michael Barnes wrote: I'm calling off all future movie dates with Grudunza.

Aww, and I was gonna try my best "yawning arm move."

We could probably do a decent Siskel & Ebert type show, though. You're the David Dunn to my Mr. Glass. And at least I know now that you exist. :o)
Last edit: 25 Nov 2015 20:00 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 Nov 2015 19:55 #215950 by Black Barney
I'll go on movie dates with you Grud! You can help me wipe the tears away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
25 Nov 2015 20:43 #215951 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Barnes' recommendation of Runaway Train several years ago was the last time I followed a film recommendation from him. I have a similar friend who hates everything that anyone else likes, and except for these odd, specialized films and they are always terrible. Definite point above in that I have an extreme tolerance of bad sci-fi and will watch pretty much anything in the genre multiple times, and one of the few exceptions to that is Hardware. I really wanted to like that movie as it has so many things I should like about it, but it is so boring.

My family was watching When Worlds Collide the other day for the first time in years, prompted by a discussion about the last time it was watched in our house. At the time my wife was going to early evening classes and I was picking out family friendly cool films for me and my 5 year old daughter to watch before she went to bed. As it is a sci-fi from the 50's, there is no sex or violence in When Worlds Collide so I thought it would be fine and I remember being extremely irritated as my daughter literally talked non-stop through the film. It is only years later I realized that I had really freaked her out because it is about the end of the world, which is a concept that she was not not ready for. Added to that was the fact that only about 50 people could be saved by transporting them to the other planet (there was only room inside the rocket for 50 people) and the concept of being in a situation of having to choose who lives and who dies is a mind-freaking one for a child. As a five year old she decided that we had to save more people and could do this by attaching handles to the outside of the rocket and have it take off like an Indian train with hundreds of people clinging to the outside.

Anyway the film contains this wonderful exchange which is now a meme in our house:
Cole: Do you want to spend what time is left as Tony's wife?
Joyce: I suppose it really doesn't matter... and it is what Tony wants.
Now you can force anyone in our house to do your bidding by simply adding "and it is what Tony wants" to your request.

More
26 Nov 2015 04:34 #215959 by daveroswell

Chapel wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I also watched half on Inside Out. I kind of hate it. Not at a Cars level, but because the whole film just makes me feel like I'm watching pop psychology geared toward the audience of a Target advertisement. OMG, growing up is hard. It causes FEELINGS. Dang, Pixar. Y'all are really digging deep on this one. That said, I think kids that are 8-10 years old might get a lot out of it because it does effectively visualize some pretty abstract concepts. But as an adult, it kind of feels like I'm in a room with a dude wearing a turtleneck sweater, strumming an acoustic guitar and entreating me to open up to my feelings.

My six year old says you have no idea what you're talking about and has put you onto bullshit island. Kids today.

The main problem I have is the young character Riley makes some really bad choices, but for the most part has no consequences because she is emotional. The producers focused too much on the cerebral and abstract and not enough in Riley's real world.

More
27 Nov 2015 22:08 #216057 by D_S
My wife got both kids to agree to come to see Creed with us. That is an achievement by itself.

We all loved the movie. I thought it was faithful to the great first movie in the series. There were elements of the story that were so similar that it felt like an homage, but not in any corny or cheap way. The characters, even the minor ones, were fully developed. As in the first movie, there was not a villainous character. It was also great to see Sylvester Stallone do real acting again, after years and years of goofing around. This was quite an achievement, and a work of art they could not have made, but for the bankability of the franchise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Cranberries

More
27 Nov 2015 23:11 - 27 Nov 2015 23:12 #216064 by Grudunza
Shaun the Sheep is amazing. So clever and funny. Loved it.

Caught Insomnia last night on Netflix. I'd seen it before, but didn't remember much about it. I knew that Christopher Nolan directed it after Memento, but didn't write it. Great dynamic between Pacino as the detective and Robin Williams as the killer Pacino is chasing down, and I liked how they both had something on each other, which nicely ramps up the suspense and tension between them. Not as interesting overall as Nolan written films like Inception, but pretty solid and better than I had remembered.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 23:12 by Grudunza.

More
28 Nov 2015 08:06 #216070 by Gary Sax

D_S wrote: My wife got both kids to agree to come to see Creed with us. That is an achievement by itself.

We all loved the movie. I thought it was faithful to the great first movie in the series. There were elements of the story that were so similar that it felt like an homage, but not in any corny or cheap way. The characters, even the minor ones, were fully developed. As in the first movie, there was not a villainous character. It was also great to see Sylvester Stallone do real acting again, after years and years of goofing around. This was quite an achievement, and a work of art they could not have made, but for the bankability of the franchise.

Really need to see this, thanks.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.910 seconds