October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
08 Dec 2015 13:35 #216931 by metalface13
Inside Out is great. I also saw it at a time that made it pretty poignant for me. We decided it was time for me to quit my job in Austin and for us to move to Pittsburgh. I hate my job and the writing was on the wall that the agency I worked for was going down. The job market for graphic designers is super competitive in Austin and I had been trying for the better part of 2 years to find a new job. Plus we were thousands of miles away from family. Why keep struggling? We also had just had our second kid, so my son who's 3 was having a really hard time adjusting to everything. And while he wasn't capable of vocalizing it all these changes in his life were scary. I'll never forget the sight of my wife carrying the kids to board the airplane, my son sobbing hysterically, leaving me behind to drive the car across the country. So for me Inside Out is incredibly powerful, seeing the girl so miserable after their move is just so ... sigh. Sometimes my son still asks when we're going home ...

Also the idea your child's imagination will some day die like Bing Bong is enough to pull on your heartstrings. Barnes you are a soulless monster :)

Jurassic World was OK. I mean yeah it had plenty of stupid plot decisions and unbelievable moments, but you get what you paid for. Dinosaurs eating a bunch of people. And I mean a bunch of people. Plus man needs to respect/learn from nature yadda yadda.

Avengers: Age of Ultron wasn't as good as the first Avengers. Ultron starts out terrifying and menacing but by the end just sort of becomes cartoony. I mean the fear of machines replacing humans pretty much writes itself but then trying to do this Ultron has daddy issues thing was blah.

Ant-Man was a lot of fun. The action scenes are hilarious. But the whole time I just kept thinking what could have been had Edgar Wright stayed on to direct. You could see a lot of his ideas and style were in there, but it just could have been more.

Minions was well ... minions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2015 17:58 #216966 by ChristopherMD
The Martian - Decided to see this in the theater before it left. Was a little too jokey to really connect with Damon's character, but overall the movie was pretty entertaining.

More
08 Dec 2015 18:02 #216968 by Black Barney
After a few failed meals at home afterwards, I finally learned that he was using p00p as a fertilizer, not a condiment.

Also, 10 more days baby!!!!

More
09 Dec 2015 10:39 #217010 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: Also, 10 more days baby!!!!

I know! Sisters is gonna be AWESOME!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Black Barney

More
09 Dec 2015 10:56 #217015 by Black Barney
Can u imagine the poor saps that go to a movie theatre with their g/f and see that SW is playing at a time that works and their girl is all, "oh yuck, let's go see Sisters instead. It'll be SO funny!"

I think if that happens, the guy can legally get non-consensual that night

/totally fucking kidding
//not really
///how does Booth come up with three of these all the time?

More
09 Dec 2015 13:26 #217023 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: Can u imagine the poor saps that go to a movie theatre with their g/f and see that SW is playing at a time that works and their girl is all, "oh yuck, let's go see Sisters instead. It'll be SO funny!"

I think if that happens, the guy can legally get non-consensual that night

/totally fucking kidding
//not really
///how does Booth come up with threie of these all the time?

/It's like Haiku
//Always changing...be water
///you flow like water
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Dec 2015 14:02 - 11 Dec 2015 14:18 #217158 by Grudunza
Victoria: A new German film that one-ups Birdman by being *actually* filmed straight through for 2+ hours. This is a really interesting one, though ultimately I appreciated it more than loved it. It takes nearly an hour before the catalyst of the plot hits, but that whole first hour is also reasonably engaging as we meet a young woman who falls in with a group of friends partying in late night Berlin. It's a fun character study that develops between her and one of the guys who she is flirting with, and that part is all pretty sweet, really. And then it turns into more of a crime story, and though some aspects of how that transpires are kind of unbelievable, taken as a whole the film is an intriguing look at what would have been a really crazy 2 hours of someone's life. Amazing performances by the actors, especially considering the wide range of what is acted in real-time for over 2 hours, and I can't begin to imagine the logistics required to film everything straight-through over that time. It's a gimmick, like it was in Birdman, but this gives you a great sense of being there and living through that kind of experience as it transpires. Only available to rent on iTunes, from what I could find, but worth a look.

Spectre: I had only mild interest to see this. I've kind of waned on James Bond over the years, preferring the Mission: Impossible franchise for my fill of clever spy/action flicks. And the reviews for this were very mediocre. But I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, perhaps helped by lower expectations. But it has all the Bond stuff you want... cool cars, beautiful women, decent action sequences, spy intrigue... and I didn't find that it dragged like some of the reviews were describing. I still liked the new M:I film better, but this was entertaining enough.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2015 14:18 by Grudunza.

More
11 Dec 2015 14:41 #217161 by Michael Barnes
I watched Ant-Man today. It was pretty good overall. I really, really, really wish that Edgar Wright had not dropped out of directing it because I think it would have been just a little weirder and goofier, which it kind of needed to be. It already was a little of both, but it seemed to pull back a little too much.

That said, barring Winter Soldier, it had the best last act of any Marvel movie to date. I _LOVED_ the fight in the little girl’s room. What a great inversion of the end of, say, Age of Ultron. It’s not about massive destruction. It’s about a giant Thomas busting through the wall of the house. These films tend to wind up in a big, messy battle at the end that feels sloppy and obligatory. But I was on board for this one. I liked that it all felt more small scale (see what I did) than the other films, which was appropriate. I also really liked that it was more or less a heist/caper film. But I also thought that could have used more air time in general.

The ant stuff was pretty fun. It made me think of Phase IV. I like to think about Phase IV.

Big bad guy, yawn. He was pretty boring. Kind of interchangeable with the kinds of big, corporate villains that were in the Iron Man films. I did like that he was selling the tech to Hydra (“they’re not like how they used to be”- ha!).

Some really good comedy bits, I laughed quite a few times. I do not laugh easily. Paul Rudd was good, Michael Douglas was good. Evangeline Lilly... is it me or is her mouth widening? Something about her freaks me out.

Loved seeing Falcon in action again, that was a really cool way to follow up on his character from the past two films.

They could not possibly have telegraphed Spider-Man more than that bit about “wall-crawling, swinging superheroes”.

Huge continuity error. Why the hell were the people in the apartment/club/whatever it was when he fell through the crack in the floor having some kind of rave in the middle of the day? We clearly saw that it was daytime when he was trying the suit on in the bathroom.

More
12 Dec 2015 09:11 #217178 by wadenels
I watched Transformers: Age of Extinction last night. This is a bad movie. Not "so bad it's good", just Bad. Shamelessly bad. There were a bunch of times I laughed at how stupid it was, but the movie plows forward and takes itself seriously.

The dialogue is atrocious. The cliches and stereotypes are just stupid. The movie is almost three hours of bad pacing and the whole thing would be entirely forgettable if it weren't so terrible. It doesn't even slip into "acceptable" territory as an action movie.

Michael Bay needs to be stopped.
  • If at any point you think "My face is my warrant!" is an awesome line, stop everything right now and hire a writer. If you decided to deliver this line with a cornfield and blue sky backdrop in Texas then just stop everything right now and go home.
  • There is no reason whatsoever for a Transformer to have a Japanese accent and cultural background.
  • There is no reason whatsoever for a Transformer to have a beard.
  • Transformers did not cause the dinosaurs to go extinct, no matter how cool the idea sounded in your head.
  • Transformium is a programmable metal that can literally fly through the air, up until it forms an object. The object cannot fly through the air. What?
  • Slow-motion scenes where people run from an explosion are cool once in a while but if you stretch one to nearly a minute then it just gets stupid.
  • Product placement can be done better than "Everyone drinks Budweiser for the first half of the film and Bud Light for the second."
  • High tech black ops personnel with alien technology can locate an Autobot hiding in an abandoned ship with their cool tech, but they can't find one in a barn ten feet away from themselves a couple days later?
  • A missile that has been fired and reached its target without exploding has still spent its fuel. It is not a "live missile" that can be launched by accident sometime later.
  • Suddenly all the Transformers are super into GUNS and naturally the ones they use fire like 7000 rounds per minute. Where do they keep all those bullets?
  • I could keep going, but I've spent far too long on this list already.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Varys

More
12 Dec 2015 11:28 - 12 Dec 2015 11:31 #217181 by Black Barney
This is like if someone ate fesces and made a long post about how bad it tasted.

I still feel bad for you that you intentionally chose to eat p00p

My buddy saw Spotlight and said it was better than Mad Max. I need to see it badly.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2015 11:31 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.181 seconds