October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
12 Dec 2015 11:50 #217185 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: My buddy saw Spotlight and said it was better than Mad Max. I need to see it badly.

If they meant the original Mad Max, then sure. Fury Road? No. Spotlight is great, though, and you should see it badly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2015 12:21 #217186 by Black Barney
I'm sure Mad Max will get nominated for best picture, but if it can win, I hope that brings some FATties back into Oscars good graces

More
12 Dec 2015 20:27 #217195 by Sagrilarus
I realize they nominate ten or fifteen movies now, but can Fury Road seriously be considered a contender? It used to be that science fiction films were more or less disqualified.

More
12 Dec 2015 20:53 - 12 Dec 2015 20:54 #217196 by Black Barney
I don't see how it can't get nominated if they are nominating ten movies. I think it deserves it and I can see Oscar doing it.

I think it can be a contender in the same way Crash was.

Also, I would love it to win only to see James Cameron totally lose it
Last edit: 12 Dec 2015 20:54 by Black Barney.

More
13 Dec 2015 01:34 #217199 by Grudunza
It will definitely get nominated for Best Picture and has a good chance to win. If not, then George Miller will win as director. I think Charlize Theron might get a nod, too, and Miller's wife should absolutely get the editing Oscar. The editing style and detail was a huge factor of why that film is so great. I don't think it will sweep, but should be well represented with at least a few nominations and a win or two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Dec 2015 21:26 #217234 by ChristopherMD
Dracula Untold - Instead of Tony Stark becoming Iron Man you can watch Vlad the Impaler become the superhero Dracula. If you can get past that its not bad. The visual where he turns into a swarm of bats is cool and he does it a lot.

More
14 Dec 2015 11:06 #217266 by Egg Shen
So over the weekend I held my annual Xmas party for friends and family. My format for this is that I go full out and cook an entire holiday meal for about 30 people. It's more or less hell. Over the past few years I've finally understood why my mother always hated the holidays. Anyways, so I invite folks over and stuff them with food and booze until they're about to explode and then we sit down for a nice, relaxing, stupid, Christmas horror movie. Yep, each year I go looking for some piece of cinematic shit to scar my friends with. This year I went and acquired a bootlegged DVD of a movie called "Elves".

The premise of this film is that there is a seance in the woods with three chicks. One of them cuts her hand (obviously) and summons a demonic looking 2 foot tall elf. Said elf is interested in one of the main chicks and followers her around killing her friends. Also, there is a subplot that involves Nazi's dabbling with the occult, some fucked up twist and turns involving incest and oh, the main actor is Grizzly fucking Adams. Yep, Grizzly Adams stars in this thing. He looks like "The Dude" from the Big Lebowski and his defining character trait is that he is ALWAYS smoking a cigarette. Needless to say this movie is a fucking disaster on every level. Horrible acting, really slowly paced, terrible special effects and a plot that is way more in depth than one could ever possibly imagine. It didn't really go over that great with the crowd. In the beginning this lady just straight up drowns a cat in a toilet for no goddamn reason and nobody wants to see that shit. Then the elf is trying to rape people...yeah it was fucked up. It has some laughs and is completely ridiculous, but it's not the almighty "so bad it's good" film it was cracked up to be.

Next up I went to the movies to check out Krampus. This is a film I've been really excited to see because obviously I enjoy Christmas horror films. Overall, the film is disappointingly uneven. It does quite a few things right, but there are too many flaws to overlook. I found the family to be fleshed out and well done. These people have problems with one another (which is the main cause of the horror in the film). Thankfully they look like real people and not magazine cover models. The actors look like regular folks and I appreciate that. Hell, even Adam Scott, who has leading man charisma was given a toned down, gray scruffy beard look. In a horror film if you don't care about the characters the film degrades almost instantly. I can honestly say, that I felt bad for the horrible shit that was happening to this flawed family. Another big positive was the use of practical special effects. There are some really awesome creature effects in the film. Really imaginative, fun, stuff. However, this leads to one of the biggest negatives...the editing. Sweet lord, the fucking editing. Anytime anything remotely frightening or action-y happened, the film went into shaky-cam bullshit mode. You could barely tell what was going on. The second half of the film is pretty much ruined by this. I miss the days when directors knew how to properly film an action shot. Anywho, the movie takes it's time to build up to the horror (which is fine), but it ultimately leads to a "bar up the house and keep out the creatures" affair. Overall, I'd call it a good film, but nothing great. For me it missed the mark a few too many times. Still, you could do much worse than this for Christmas Horror film.

More
15 Dec 2015 08:25 #217335 by Michael Barnes
I finally saw Interstellar. I'm sure opinions on it are all over the place and I'm sure the angry nerd view is something like "it was really good until they started talking about love". But I thought it was a pretty great, slightly weird SF picture that was definitely in line with (but not as good as, of course) 2001 and Solaris.

You have to make something like the Batman films to be able to mount and produce something like this in Hollywood. No studio in their right mind would green light something this heady, long and ambitious otherwise.

Lots of big science talk that may or may not be accurate, that's all above my pay grade. But I bought it, and I LOVED the realistic but highly stylized production design. GOD those robots. Fucking amazing

Bits of it reminded me loosely of Haldeman's The Forever War, the time dilation and its effects in particular. "It's going to cost us 51 years..."

The weak part for me was exactly the same thing as in Sunshine though- crazy dude in the third quarter jeopardizes mission. It didn't need that conflict. At that point we were 2 hours in and that added 15-20 minutes that wasn't really necessary. That said, the docking sequence that led up to was awesome.

Above all else, I loved that it had a huge, expansive scope in terms of ideas and storyline, but it was still a very human, very intimate story about regret, lost time, parental love and pioneering.

Great movie. Lots to think about and ruminate on, none of which are the usual nitpick nerd things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Black Barney, Columbob

More
15 Dec 2015 15:34 - 15 Dec 2015 15:55 #217384 by Mr. White
C'mon ya'll...no one has watched Turbo Kid yet? This is the retro future movie Kung Fury wished it were.

"This is the year 1997...."

Last edit: 15 Dec 2015 15:55 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen, stoic, JEM

More
19 Dec 2015 15:48 #217792 by Erik Twice
Since I liked Streets of Fire so much I thought about checking out The Warriors. But I couldn't get into it and ended up turning it off after only a few minutes. I don't know if I'm missing the whole point but I couldn't get past the intentionally stiff acting. What's the reason for it? Walter Hill obviously knows what he's doing so I don't know if I should just accept it, ignore it or if I'm missing something.

Thoughts?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds