October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2692 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
14 Feb 2016 18:34 #222446 by Grudunza

jason10mm wrote: Deadpool, oh god Deadpool. Such a fantastic film, so deliberately mocking current superhero films. A masterpiece! I'm not sure how well it will hold up 10 years from now, but after that opening weekend I don't think anyone cares.

I don't think it will hold up that well in 2-3 years, as a lot of it is pretty topical humor. But for right now, yeah, it's great fun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2016 20:40 #222451 by Sevej
I like The Martian a LOT.

I like it much better than Ex Machina, which, for me, was utterly predictable. OK, I was wrong about
Warning: Spoiler!

But The Martian was like Minecraft the Movie. At least at the beginning. Very geeky, very funny... not at all desperate. There are some bummer moments, but all in all it's a very optimist movie without being euphoric.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, JMcL63

More
15 Feb 2016 09:47 #222481 by Green Lantern
I don't recall any topical humor in Deadpool at all. Most of the humor was self deprecating Ryan Reynolds jokes, Hugh Jackman bromance cracks, and one-liners taunting everyone and everything around Deadpool. I laughed through the whole thing and was surprised I ended up caring about Wade and Vanessa. Megasonic Teenage Warhead and big brother Colussus were icing on the cake. I was curious why Colossus was selected out of all the X-Men library of cool characters and it became clear during the story. Well done, team.

More
15 Feb 2016 12:15 #222507 by Grudunza
I exaggerate to say "a lot," but there is definitely topical humor, and maybe not quite so much "topical," but contemporary. Meaning, the type of snarky humor itself is of its day. I really liked it, regardless, but I think it will have somewhat of a limited shelf life. But so what... a lot of films are great for their time and place.

More
15 Feb 2016 12:41 #222512 by QPCloudy
I saw Deadpool 4 times from Thursday to Sunday. By myself, with my buddy, with our group of movie buddies, and with my wife. It was great every time. I may be a little biased, but I thought it was perfect. I literally could not think of one thing I did not like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
15 Feb 2016 13:03 #222514 by Shellhead
Though it was an animated feature that clocked in at around 80 minutes, I consider Justice League: Gods and Monsters to be a movie, and a moderately good one. The setup is an alternate reality (an Elseworlds setting, for you DC fans), where Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are crimefighters, but not very nice people. That sounds like a weak premise, but it works well because the story is good and there are plenty of easter eggs for long-term DC fans. There is a sort of murder mystery involved, and while the identity of the killer is a surprise, the writers played fair. There is plenty of action, and the greatest surprise is that the dark trinity of heroes all receive decent back stories that establish them as distinct from the originals. The tone was necessarily dark for the subject matter, but there were a couple of scenes that were nastier than necessary. Fans of the classic Timm-Dini team on previous DC animated shows will definitely enjoy Gods and Monsters, though the style of the animation is more realistic and less stylized than the classic Timm-Dini animation.

More
15 Feb 2016 13:08 #222516 by Disgustipater
We saw Deadpool, and while we liked it, I can't imagine seeing it a second time. I watched half a trailer before seeing it and the jokes I did see were already used up in the trailer viewing and did nothing for me in the movie.

We also saw Zoolander 2. It had some funny absurdist moments, but overall was meh. It is quite a different type of movie from the first one, which did not work in its favor.

More
15 Feb 2016 13:42 - 15 Feb 2016 13:45 #222522 by Mr. White
I know a few people who even if they hate a certain type of film...still go see those types of films. My question is why? I mean, if you're tired of, say, Marvel films...why keep going to the theater and watch them? Granted, it's their lives, but I don't get it. Life seems too short to spend it doing stuff you say you don't enjoy.

Have we lost our ability to entertain ourselves in any other capacity besides consuming media?

I guess not.

www.movies.com/movie-news/transformers-m...-release-dates/20083
Last edit: 15 Feb 2016 13:45 by Mr. White.

More
15 Feb 2016 14:15 - 15 Feb 2016 14:18 #222526 by Cranberries

Mr. White wrote: I know a few people who even if they hate a certain type of film...still go see those types of films. My question is why? I mean, if you're tired of, say, Marvel films...why keep going to the theater and watch them? Granted, it's their lives, but I don't get it. Life seems too short to spend it doing stuff you say you don't enjoy.

Have we lost our ability to entertain ourselves in any other capacity besides consuming media?

I guess not.

www.movies.com/movie-news/transformers-m...-release-dates/20083

I know people that don't like the smell of egg salad fueled flatulence. I think that when too many superhero movies get made it sucks the air out of the room and uses up money and resources that could be used for more creative endeavors. I drive my this factory forest every time I go with the family to Oregon. Miles after miles of the exact same tree, planted as an experiment, I'm told, by a paper company. It's hard to avoid.

Last edit: 15 Feb 2016 14:18 by Cranberries.

More
15 Feb 2016 14:21 #222529 by Shellhead
If not for the superhero movies, Hollywood would be giving us more remakes of older movies and adaptations of classic tv shows into movies.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.495 seconds