October 09, 2023
2446 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
15 Feb 2016 14:24 #222530 by Black Barney

Mr. White wrote: I know a few people who even if they hate a certain type of film...still go see those types of films. My question is why? I mean, if you're tired of, say, Marvel films...why keep going to the theater and watch them? Granted, it's their lives, but I don't get it. Life seems too short to spend it doing stuff you say you don't enjoy.

Have we lost our ability to entertain ourselves in any other capacity besides consuming media?

I guess not.

www.movies.com/movie-news/transformers-m...-release-dates/20083

I'm one of these people. Go back 25 years and I hated Drama movies and never watched them. Then I watched The Remains of the Day and couldn't believe how much I liked it. Now I love dramas. I think by avoiding something you think you hate all the time, you don't challenge yourself to trying new things and might not ever grow as a person. I went to see musical documentaries that I typically always hate. I saw AMY, I saw one of Katy Perry...a concert one on U2. All things I should hate on paper but I liked them all (and i LOVED the one on Amy W).

That being said, there's just so way I'm going to see another Transformers movie. I'm happy I skipped the last two.

I used to do this with video games too. i HATE fighting games and sports games but once in a while I used to try to see if I might like it. I bought Street Fighter IV...I bought NHL09 (or one of them, I can't remember). HATED both of them. Now I don't download demos for this stuff anymore. On Xbox One they give us free weekends sometimes with these games where you can download it for free and play it over an entire weekend. I skip out on those too. Life is too short.

Anyway, with movies I think it's good to challenge your horizons but with video games it's not worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2016 19:22 #222575 by Michael Barnes
Tomorrowland was great, what is wrong with people...OH, I get it...it was SF that wasn't all dark and grim and about the apocalypse so that made it boring. I think that sort of quasi-romantic weirdness between Clooney and a kid robot sort of put people off of it unfairly too.

What a lovely, uplifting and positive picture...I liked just about everything about it. I loved that the bad guy had a totally valid point. I loved that it had a very 1980s adventure movie vibe. I loved all the Brad Bird fan service. It was fun but poignant and it had a serious message that was just preachy enough to register with children, but not so much that it was irritating.

But it was a critical and commercial flop, so once again people's clamoring for new IP and fresh ideas seems to be not very earnest. BRING ON THEM TRANSFORMERS MOVIES!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
15 Feb 2016 20:25 - 15 Feb 2016 20:26 #222584 by Grudunza
Yeah, I liked it quite a lot, too. (Holy shit, we agree on a movie?) I was surprised it got bagged on so much. That being said, the second time I watched it with my girls, it dropped a bit for me, where the tone of the film seemed uneven. The Men in Black vibe it has at times was fun the first time, but seemed a little goofy and discordant to the rest of the movie the second time. And when my 12 year-old daughter was making fun of some of the dialogue, I had to admit it was a little hokey at times. There are also some hackneyed or strange plot elements, like the whole Eiffel Tower thing. But in the spirit of its adventurous nature, it kind of reminds me of what's great about something like Up. If you just go along for the ride, it's quite fun and even meaningful. And you're right, it has a great vision and positive nature, and some wonderful visual imagery.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2016 20:26 by Grudunza.

More
15 Feb 2016 22:22 #222593 by iguanaDitty
Hail, Ceasar is a lovely little second-tier Coen Brothers film that my wife and I quite enjoyed. Lots of laughs and silliness, some subtle, most not. A ridiculous plot. A wonderful cowboy. Worth it if you like their films, probably not otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, ChristopherMD

More
18 Feb 2016 11:23 #222753 by Shellhead
The Limey surprised me. I thought that it was going to be a fairly simple tale of vengeance, but director Steven Soderbergh delivered more than that. Early on, I was a bit frustrated by the editing, as the movie sometimes stuttered between flashbacks and flashforwards and even repetition of a scene just shown, though from an alternate angle. But eventually I got the hang of this style, and began to appreciate how it served to emphasize or contrast certain moments for effect, gradually revealing motivations at work in the characters.

Terrance Stamp plays the title role well enough, as an aging ex-convict on a mission. Peter Fonda plays his opposite in many respects, and conveys a sense of sad and anxious nostalgia for the glorious and distant past of his character. Lesley Anne Warren looks great for her age, but her character is not much more than a way to link the characters. There are a few familiar character actors, one of which stands out as an amusing sociopath channeling Ben Stiller.

There is some action, but the movie spends a surprising amount of effort on really fleshing out a few key characters. And there is a devastating but well-earned reveal near the end that makes the character work well worth the time. The expected finale happens off-screen and that actually works just fine. Overall, I liked The Limey, but I won't need to see it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
18 Feb 2016 12:52 #222758 by Gregarius
I love The Limey. I agree with your observations except one: I have and will enjoy watching it more than once.

It's supposed to have a legendary commentary track, where Soderberg and the screenwriter really get at each other, but I have yet to see it with that audio track on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
18 Feb 2016 13:20 #222762 by Shellhead

Gregarius wrote: I love The Limey. I agree with your observations except one: I have and will enjoy watching it more than once.

It's supposed to have a legendary commentary track, where Soderberg and the screenwriter really get at each other, but I have yet to see it with that audio track on.

I still have a few days before I need to bring it back to the library, so I will give it another watch with that commentary track.

More
18 Feb 2016 15:13 #222772 by boothwah
Saw Deadpool - What a fantastic adaptation - Like Antman, it felt like a comic book story - And I mean that in a good wya - thoroughly entertained - Which is why I went to see it. wanted Superhero bam bam pow and belly laughs - got em. If I wanted high brow cinema I'd go the art show crap they run on Saturdays.

More
18 Feb 2016 15:29 #222777 by Michael Barnes
I finally watched Dr. Who and the Daleks, that non-canonical Amicus-financed picture that came out in 1965. It's weird that I've not seen it, being such a big Peter Cushing fan and a big Doctor Who fan. But I just never had a chance to, and it came with this complete DVD set of all of the episodes that I picked up. Look, they took it off Hulu and Netflix, alright?

Anyway, it's bad and disappointingly so. It is more or less a remake of the original Terry Nation script for "The Daleks", their first appearance opposite William Hartnell's first doctor from the first season.. The TV version is actually superior in pretty much every way apart from seeing the Daleks in color. It's also strange to see that it is totally Doctor Who, but with subtle things messed up. Like that they call him Doctor Who, which is just odd. And the fact that he has a moustache freaks me out. It brings forward the original concept of him being a grandpa and his companion a granddaughter, which is always sort of weird even in the First Doctor/Susan dynamic. It is very much like watching a film version of a comic or something where they've sort of just played fast and loose with the property.

The story is more or less intact though down to fine detail, although the TV show didn't have groovy lava lamps for set decoration. And the Thals didn't look as lame.

But the Daleks look great, and they are all over the place in it in many colors. So that's cool, although just like with the show, if they speak for more than a couple of lines you start to realize how annoying they can be. I love them, don't get me wrong, but when they are exchanging six, seven lines of dialogue with another, it's just sort of grating.

Fun fact- Amicus paid Terry Nation 500 pounds for the rights to make three Dalek movies. Talk about going cheap in the sales.

More
18 Feb 2016 16:05 #222781 by Black Barney

boothwah wrote: . If I wanted high brow cinema I'd go the art show crap they run on Saturdays.

lol "high brow crap"!

You're the second person in 24 hours that took an unsolicited swipe at "art" movies in their review of Deadpool. Hilarious.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds